• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New trains for East Midlands Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RealTrains07

Established Member
Take some time to review the seats per vehicle, overall, we are looking at a 25-30% increase in seats, which is pretty stunning I’d say.
Not to bad then, i guess its only the short fall of capacity which your gotta worry about next year then

hooverboy

On Moderation
Unfortunately thats what happens when you make a massive order of new trains which get delayed disrupting plans of other franchises
as long as they work, I don't think you will see too many initial complaints from the commuters.

I think the EMR electrics service is likely to be very popular.Would be more popular still if they added a stop at st albans

one only has to look at when thameslink were running the "express" service through the core to st albans, luton.bedford..to see just how much of a preference said commuters had for the fast trains over the slightly more pedestrian diagrams.

hooverboy

On Moderation
Maybe they'd be best served by keeping a couple of HSTs on for Skegness and reliability purposes, if another unit breaks down. *ahem*180*ahem*
I'm thinking a couple of HST's and sprinters on the books as rescue trains probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

DFT should give a derogation for those if they are not intended for regular passenger service surely?
we know they are both cleared for pretty much all of EMR routes,so it's just a case of keeping a few staff trained up

class26

I'd expect the 80x type units to be too heavy for the Skegness Line. Even the HSTs are limited to low speeds in some parts. I'd suggest perhaps that more chance of Class 80x on Crewe to Newark Castle services (service pattern as per EMR Consultation) displacing the lighter Sprinter units for Skegness.

I am happy to be corrected by anyone in the know but I thought the line had been relaid a few years back so HST`s COULD run at normal line speeds? The line between Boston and Firsby is 60 mph but HST`s and loco hauled trains were reduced to 30 mph about 10 years ago before the re laying. I travelled on the line last summer on a HST and it seemed to me that it was running at the normal line speed

hooverboy

On Moderation
I am happy to be corrected by anyone in the know but I thought the line had been relaid a few years back so HST`s COULD run at normal line speeds? The line between Boston and Firsby is 60 mph but HST`s and loco hauled trains were reduced to 30 mph about 10 years ago before the re laying. I travelled on the line last summer on a HST and it seemed to me that it was running at the normal line speed
axle loading on a hst is not particularly high

edwin_m

Veteran Member
as long as they work, I don't think you will see too many initial complaints from the commuters.

I think the EMR electrics service is likely to be very popular.Would be more popular still if they added a stop at st albans

one only has to look at when thameslink were running the "express" service through the core to st albans, luton.bedford..to see just how much of a preference said commuters had for the fast trains over the slightly more pedestrian diagrams.
The Thameslink fasts in their standard timetable are first stop St Albans so stopping EMR there wouldn't give much of a speed advantage, and for many this would be outweighed by the time to change trains at St Pancras.

TheBigD

Established Member

They've run at normal linespeed for several years now. There was a 10mph restriction over a bridge(?) at Bellwater Junction for HSTs for a while but I think that's also been lifted.

MML

I was rather hoping the Thameslink Express services would be maintained during the peak hours with stops at St Albans, Luton and Bedford, being followed a short while later by the St. Albans all stations to Bedford.
While the EMR Electrics will give an express service to St. Pancras, not everybody ends their journey there. Many wish to cross London to the city business districts of Farringdon, City, Blackfriars or London Bridge. While others venture even further.

londonmidland

Established Member
Would St. Albans provide any use to EMR passengers?

Surely West Hampstead Thameslink would be more useful? With connections to Thameslink, London Overground and London Underground services.

I doubt the capacity is there to stop EMR electrics services there, though.

jfowkes

Is it known when the class 180s will start service with EMR? Apologies if it's mentioned somewhere upthread, I searched but failed to find anything.

OTRail

Is it known when the class 180s will start service with EMR? Apologies if it's mentioned somewhere upthread, I searched but failed to find anything.
Either at the May or December TT change once they’ve been refurbished I think

londonmidland

Established Member
The latest ‘gen’ is that the 180s will come into service in December, replacing the Angel buffered HST sets.

Whether they will directly replace the relatively few services that they do is another question.

greatvoyager

Established Member
The latest ‘gen’ is that the 180s will come into service in December, replacing the Angel buffered HST sets.

Whether they will directly replace the relatively few services that they do is another question.
Do we know if they are going to be maintained at Derby Etches Park?

Can anyone tell me what the position is regarding the transfer of Greater Anglia's 156s to EMR, please?

Crossed the north end of the station (on a bus on Pride Parkway bridge) this afternoon, and there was what looked like a 156 in GA livery in platform 3

Aictos

Established Member
Would St. Albans provide any use to EMR passengers?

Surely West Hampstead Thameslink would be more useful? With connections to Thameslink, London Overground and London Underground services.

I doubt the capacity is there to stop EMR electrics services there, though.

Why would EMR want to stop at St Albans or West Hampstead TL?

The fast Thameslink services are a mix of non stop to St Pancras or only stop at West Hampstead TL and are at a pretty good frequency.

Anyone wanting Farringdon etc can change at St Pancras etc

londonmidland

Established Member
I presume if the 180 move does run tomorrow it’ll put the rumours/uncertainty of it to bed for good?

There’s is/was still a bit of uncertainty about the use of 180s for EMR.

Domh245

Established Member

Is there? I thought the current 'best guess' of the plans is pretty much confirmed?

(and if it isn't, then what the alternative is supposed to be given the information that's available)

OTRail

I’m pretty sure it’s been more or less confirmed - the HST’s won’t be operational post 2020 and there won’t be enough 222s available to cover all diagrams.

Status
Not open for further replies.