• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New trains for East Midlands Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samuelmorris

Established Member

TH172341

All seven of them? Know I'd seen they were apparently keen to take on one more set. Seven would bring a massive capacity boost.

LowLevel

Established Member
Yeah, the 360s will almost certainly be the 360/1s, but the 170s, I assume they're going to be the ex-WMT 170/5s ?
No evidence 180s are being used from that specific image at least.

The image is from the briefing documents for EMT union reps and managers and 180s are certainly included elsewhere. I'm not daft enough to reproduce the document but it's pretty widely available internally.

Japan0913

The image is from the briefing documents for EMT union reps and managers and 180s are certainly included elsewhere. I'm not daft enough to reproduce the document but it's pretty widely available internally.
From where is Class 180 cascaded?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
From where is Class 180 cascaded?

The 4 from Hull Trains will be involved, for sure.

I wish the operational team the very best of luck in trying to deliver on the pup they've been sold by the bid managers who know theory of everything and practice of nothing.

Japan0913

The 4 from Hull Trains will be involved, for sure.

I wish the operational team the very best of luck in trying to deliver on the pup they've been sold by the bid managers who know theory of everything and practice of nothing.
Most likely Hull Trains.
thank you.
Hull class 180 tends to break down?
In addition, Class 180 doesn't go to Grand Central?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Though in fairness, from a passenger perspective I like travelling on 180s. They’d just be a lot nicer if they worked.

Indeed. I called them the ultimate evolution of the Mk3 when I first saw them - comfortable, traditional interior with excellent legroom - but the build quality and mechanical side of the design is atrocious. If Alstom had built them with the quality of the Pendolinos I think they would have been very much sought-after.

Glenn1969

Established Member

Japan0913

Not sure these services were approved by the ORR so the 180s could well be free to be cascaded to East Midlands
I see. The various proposals of Grand Central have not been approved yet?
Thank you.
There is a possibility to cascade Class180 5 × 4 SETs from Hull, right?

CosherB

Established Member
I see. The various proposals of Grand Central have not been approved yet?
Thank you.
There is a possibility to cascade Class180 5 × 4 SETs from Hull, right?
I think Hull Trains will ensure their 802s don’t go anywhere else, they’re desperate for them.

SHFTraveller

I can't imagine booking any further journeys on the MML if/when they get the Hull 180s. I currently avoid Hull & Grand Central over reliability. LNER tend to be cheaper than Grand Central these days too.

Current pricing levels I find LNER cheaper to Sheffield via Doncaster with little difference in journey time.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I can't imagine booking any further journeys on the MML if/when they get the Hull 180s. I currently avoid Hull & Grand Central over reliability. LNER tend to be cheaper than Grand Central these days too.

Current pricing levels I find LNER cheaper to Sheffield via Doncaster with little difference in journey time.

I don't really have a choice, it's either EMT/EMR via London, or XC via Birmingham.
EMT is usually cheaper and much more pleasant, ignoring the cross London transfer.

I'll probably try and book a HST, but a 180 is preferable to a 222, if it came down to it.

SHFTraveller

I don't really have a choice, it's either EMT/EMR via London, or XC via Birmingham.
EMT is usually cheaper and much more pleasant, ignoring the cross London transfer.

I'll probably try and book a HST, but a 180 is preferable to a 222, if it came down to it.
I feel sorry for MML users between Leicester and Chesterfield, I had the unfortunate experience of standing from Tamworth back to Sheffield a few times. Awful.

All I can see happening is the 180s breaking down and then blocking the line, to cause further havoc.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I assume what he's getting at is that after Hull Trains' 802s are delivered, their 180s will either be going to GC for that scheme or if not, to EMR.
I wondered if perhaps it was meant to have been “Class 180, 4 x 5 car sets”, as opposed to SETS.

LowLevel

Established Member
Sounds like there's another 180 on fire between Retford and Doncaster stopping the job on the ECML now. What exactly does it take to get a fleet pulled out of service I wonder if not bi weekly burnups :s

jw

Much mention has been made of the Class 180s transferring to East Midlands, but are they a permanent fixture for the duration of the franchise, or a stop-gap to allow non-PRM HSTs to be withdrawn and prior to the arrival of new intercity bi-modes?

Given that they will be a particularly small microfleet, are unable to take advantage of the partial electrification, and have less than stellar reliability, I'd assume their use will only be temporary.

CosherB

Established Member
Stop gap only, to replace the ex-GC HSTs. They in turn will be replaced by these yet-to-be-announced-or-proven 125mph bi-modes with Meridian performance levels. :s

Japan0913

Stop gap only, to replace the ex-GC HSTs. They in turn will be replaced by these yet-to-be-announced-or-proven 125mph bi-modes with Meridian performance levels. :s
When will the Bombardier, bi-mode monocoque be released?

RealTrains07

Established Member
Has anyone got any access to the abellio document or anything to say on how many 360 units are being taken??

Established Member
Has anyone got any access to the abellio document or anything to say on how many 360 units are being taken??
Would obviously be all 21 units from Greater Anglia. They need 18 units during the peak so having 3 spares makes sense. The ROSCO would probably give a better value for money price for hiring the entire fleet rather than just 90% of the fleet or something like that.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Would obviously be all 21 units from Greater Anglia. They need 18 units during the peak so having 3 spares makes sense. The ROSCO would probably give a better value for money price for hiring the entire fleet rather than just 90% of the fleet or something like that.
Oh right makes sense i thought the 360/1 fleet had 37 units but clearly not

Status
Not open for further replies.