• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New trains in the Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groningen

Established Member
The first pictures of the new trains in the Netherlands. Service should start 2021. Nickname seems to be: The Bee.

DLM24pqWAAA_xdv.jpg

Source: Treinreiziger

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarcVD

And also for the IC service to Brussels, if I am not mistaken.

The picture posted by the OK is a mock-up ?

Envoyé de mon SM-T819 en utilisant Tapatalk

MisterT

That's the mock-up, yes.
There are two extra trains ordered with a package for Belgium, purely for tests and acceptance into Belgium. There are no plans at the moment for new trains to Belgium. The current loco hauled IC to Brussels will stay until 2025.
When the current 'Hoofdrailnet' (Main lines) franchise is extended, new trains could be ordered on the spot within a short delivery time, because the trains are already accepted into Belgium.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The same Alstom design is being used for a Trenitalia order, to be called "Pop".
This one doesn't seem to have high speed aspirations, being a 160km/h regional unit.
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...odular-emu-designs-for-ns-and-trenitalia.html

Separately, Alstom used the Expo Ferroviaria trade fair in Milano to unveil a mock-up of the Coradia Stream units which are to be supplied to Trenitalia under a €900m framework contract for up to 150 units awarded in August 2016. The first batch of 47 trains is to be delivered from early 2019.

To be branded ‘Pop’ by the operator, the 3kV DC EMUs are designed to be highly modular, with a wide range of livery and interior and options enabling local authorities to customise the trainsets for their suburban and regional services. The three-car version will have 227 seats and the four-car version 305 seats, with a maximum speed of 160 km/h and an entrance height of 620mm.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Will these be replacing those lovely compartment carriages with the brown leather seats ?

Groningen

Established Member
If Belgium than it also has to run under 3000 Volts. The door (or at least 1) is very wide. Some Dutch persons on Twitter compare the front with the Fyra (now in Italy).

Quakkerillo

Will these be replacing those lovely compartment carriages with the brown leather seats ?

Brown leather seats in compartments? I don't quite think we still have these! Closest I can think of is from mid-90's when I was a kid.

They'll be used to enhance service, and replace the following stock:
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercitymaterieel (Not full replacement AFAIK, but the new ones will be used on services to/from Groningen and Leeuwarden to make use of the 200kph stretch between Lelystad and Zwolle)
Intercityrijtuigen (our sort of Mk3 coaches) with loco-hauled services, mostly on the Amsterdam-Breda, and The Hague - Breda - Eindhoven routes.

MisterT

The same Alstom design is being used for a Trenitalia order, to be called "Pop".
This one doesn't seem to have high speed aspirations, being a 160km/h regional unit.
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...odular-emu-designs-for-ns-and-trenitalia.html
Both trains are based on a new highly customizable platform called Coradia Stream, which can be ordered for regional trains as well as Intercity trains with speeds up to 125 mph/200 km/h.
I think it's Alstoms answer to the Stadler Flirt platform.

Last edited:

AlexNL

Established Member
The first pictures of the new trains in the Netherlands. Service should start 2021. Nickname seems to be: The Bee.
I've also heard "The raccoon".

I'm not a fan of the yellow on the nose, nor of how the black band flows into the blue band around the windows. I think it looks odd.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Brown leather seats in compartments? I don't quite think we still have these! Closest I can think of is from mid-90's when I was a kid.

They'll be used to enhance service, and replace the following stock:
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercitymaterieel (Not full replacement AFAIK, but the new ones will be used on services to/from Groningen and Leeuwarden to make use of the 200kph stretch between Lelystad and Zwolle)
Intercityrijtuigen (our sort of Mk3 coaches) with loco-hauled services, mostly on the Amsterdam-Breda, and The Hague - Breda - Eindhoven routes.

But I travelled on this beauty between Rotterdam and Brussells earlier this year ! (admittedly the seats were partially leather, come to think of it).

album.php

Attachments

• WP_20170521_13_07_20_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170521_13_07_20_Pro.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

MisterT

But I travelled on this beauty between Rotterdam and Brussells earlier this year !

album.php
Those are Belgian coaches. NS hired a few of those for the IC service to Brussels. We didn't have enough coaches for all services, while the Dutch ICR coaches are being prepared for the High Speed Line service to Brussels.
They are still in use, but will be returned to NMBS when all ICR coaches are fitted with the new systems.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Those are Belgian coaches. NS hired a few of those for the IC service to Brussels. We didn't have enough coaches for all services, while the Dutch ICR coaches are being prepared for the High Speed Line service to Brussels.
They are still in use, but will be returned to NMBS when all ICR coaches are fitted with the new systems.

Ah, so I was quite lucky to get them when I did !

chubs

Haven't the koploppers only just been completely stripped back and refurbished? Seems a shame for them to be retired so soon.

What of replacement of the DD-AR and the really old original DDM coaches that have been brought back into use recently?

Established Member
Haven't the koploppers only just been completely stripped back and refurbished? Seems a shame for them to be retired so soon.

What of replacement of the DD-AR and the really old original DDM coaches that have been brought back into use recently?

They were refurbished between 2006 and 2011, so even that will be starting to wear out by the time the batch intending to replace them enters service. I'll be sad to see them go though, very nice units to travel on and very iconic.

I would imagine that the DD-ARs and DDM-1s will be withdrawn (again) once the SNGs (Sprinter New Generation) enter squadron service, as well as the original SGM Sprinters - that's assuming there's enough of those coming on stream to sort out the shortage of 'stoptrein' stock as well replace the older stock! The shortage being the reason that the older double deckers have re-entered service in the first place.

Last edited:

Quakkerillo

Only the oldest set of Koplopers will be replaced, the others that may not be needed for current services can then be used to strengthen other services.

The renewed DD-AR into NID (New Intercity Doubledecker) will remain. The other old (and unrefurbished) DDAR and DDM will be set aside when the current orders of new Sprinters from Stadler (2017-2019) and CAF (2018-2020?) are coming into service.

chubs

Only the oldest set of Koplopers will be replaced, the others that may not be needed for current services can then be used to strengthen other services.

The renewed DD-AR into NID (New Intercity Doubledecker) will remain. The other old (and unrefurbished) DDAR and DDM will be set aside when the current orders of new Sprinters from Stadler (2017-2019) and CAF (2018-2020?) are coming into service.

I've seen the DDZ and it's unrecognisable from the DD-AR!

Same for the refurbished sprinters really, I remember them looking like Mat64 inside.

MisterT

@Quakkerillo: all 59 Flirt Sprinters are already in service.
The first SNG trains began their first tests in the Netherlands today. The first trains should be into service at September 2018.

SNG's main purpose is to replace the SGM trains, with the oldest units being nearly 45 years old when they will be scrapped.

Last edited:

Quakkerillo

@Quakkerillo: all 59 Flirt Sprinters are already in service.
The first SNG trains began their first tests in the Netherlands today. The first trains should be into service at September 2018.

SNG's main purpose is to replace the SGM trains, with the oldest units being nearly 45 years old when they will be scrapped.

Oh, my bad. I thought we only had like 1 or 2 dozen in service of those. And I mentioned the older double-decker trains, as they'd been brought in as a 'crowd-busting, train-lacking' measure while the new trains were en route, because we don't have more SGM.
Although I'm myself not sure why on my sprinter route Dordrecht - Breda - 's-Hertogenbosch we got NID as replacements for our previous SLT/SGM trains.

Established Member
Oh, my bad. I thought we only had like 1 or 2 dozen in service of those. And I mentioned the older double-decker trains, as they'd been brought in as a 'crowd-busting, train-lacking' measure while the new trains were en route, because we don't have more SGM.
Although I'm myself not sure why on my sprinter route Dordrecht - Breda - 's-Hertogenbosch we got NID as replacements for our previous SLT/SGM trains.

A lot of the four-car NIDs are still used on Sprinter services for similar 'crowd-busting, train-lacking' reasons as the other double deckers! After the refurbishment was completed, the NS ended up with too much Intercity stock and not enough Sprinter stock...

AlexNL

Established Member
1MpMceCh.jpg

The CAF-built "Sprinter Next Generation" (SNG) commuter trains are currently undergoing trial runs.

This morning I spotted a three-car unit which was parked in the sidings to the west of Rotterdam Centraal.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I thought the Sprinters were reasonably new? To need a new generation seems odd to me, but it has been a few years since I was last over. The MAT64 (I think!) EMUs were still going after all in 2013!

The VIRM double-deckers aren't going anywhere are they? Fond memories of those from my adventures over there in 2013. The ICMm units were the first Dutch trains I had, just a Schipiol to Amsterdam Zuid journey on them was enough for me to like them. The following morning I think it was Amsterdam Lelyaan (I doubt that's spelt correctly!) to Zwolle on a VIRM and I immediately fell in love with them. Mind you, the 3400 Class DMUs I then took were good fun as well!

I think I need to go and find my trip reports from 2013 and have a trip down Nostalgia Avenue...

As for these new EMUs in the opening post, good grief they're uglier than a 380!

Last edited:

duesselmartin

Established Member
Alstom Coradias are ugly in every version.
What I do like is that NS sticks to its yellow livery. It is synonimous with Dutch railways.

MisterT

I thought the Sprinters were reasonably new? To need a new generation seems odd to me, but it has been a few years since I was last over. The MAT64 (I think!) EMUs were still going after all in 2013!
Sprinter is a name for the 'all station' services, not a train type by itself (anymore).
The original Sprinter trains (SGM, StadsGewestelijk Materieel, nicknamed Sprinter) are already over 40 years old and as soon as the SNG trains are ready, the oldest two-car trains will be scrapped. The three-car trains are getting a small technical revision, to extend their life for a few more years as a backup in case the new SNG trains are not reliable enough.
But from what I heard, the tests are progressing extremely well and the units seems to be pretty reliable already. So it's just in case.

The VIRM double-deckers aren't going anywhere are they? Fond memories of those from my adventures over there in 2013. The ICMm units were the first Dutch trains I had, just a Schipiol to Amsterdam Zuid journey on them was enough for me to like them. The following morning I think it was Amsterdam Harleem (I know that's not spelt correctly!) to Zwolle on a VIRM and I immediately fell in love with them. Mind you, the 3400 Class DMUs I then took were good fun as well!
The first VIRM trains are now 20 to 25 years old and getting a complete refurbishment and overhaul. The first twenty trains (or something like that) are already back in service.
The DM'90 (3400) will be withdrawn from service in less than a month time at the timetable change, which means that NS says goodbye to the last DMU in service.
As for these new EMUs in the opening post, good grief they're uglier than a 380!
The picture doesn't do justice to the ICNG in my opinion. The gap at the front is a lot less noticeable in real life and the train looks a bit more streamlined. But maybe the look has grown on me ;)

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair enough, didn't know the DMUs were being withdrawn. Very glad I did them when I was over there.

Lelyaan was the station in Amsterdam I was thinking of earlier, shall now correct my previous post. Glad to hear the VIRMs aren't going any time soon. All change on NS in the coming years then, do I assume the NS 1700s are getting difficult to find (if they're even still going)? Not had the luxury of travelling with one sadly.

AlexNL

Established Member
NS1700 loco's are used to haul "Sprinter" services operated with DD-AR or DDM1 double deck coaches. Once the SNG enters squadron service, these double deck coaches will be withdrawn.

Apart from that the 1700's can be seen hauling the IC Berlin services between Amsterdam and Bad Bentheim. DB are working on a tender for a new LHCS fleet for that service, they also want to introduce new multisystem locos so that the change at the border is no longer necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.