• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New trains in the Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonasB

Just out of curiosity, in what way do you think the trains are a bit spartan?

Good question actually, but I got more of a commuter train feeling than Intercity when I looked at video. But the vinyl seats feel very much like a commuter train. Also lack of coat hooks and no seat back pockets. And do the seats recline? I have the feeling they don't.

Also, the bright colours might add to it, but that is probably just a cultural thing. I really liked the interior DanielB posted, maybe it appeals to my Scandinavian sense of minimalism more?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRAX

Established Member
Before comparing Dutch and British intercity rail, remember that distances between cities are much shorter in the Netherlands than in the UK, with a significant difference in the size of the country. The average intercity railway trip in NL is obviously much shorter than in the UK, so can justify a certain lack of amenities in the eye of the British.

MisterT

As for coat hooks, those are obviously available and can already be seen in a few places. Don't forget that this is a not finished test train, so that's why they are missing for the most part.
You are right about the seat back pockets. We've had those for, well, a long time and this is the first IC train where those aren't available. And the reason behind it is pretty simple: nobody used it anymore. So I don't think that they will return in any new train.
The first class seats recline, second class don't. That's the usual for NS IC trains.

The seat covering has been fake leather in 2nd class and fabric in the 1st class in the past, but somewhere in the last few decades it turned around and the 1st class got the fake leather seats and the 2nd class the fabric. And that has changed again in the past 15 years with the 2nd class also returning to fake leather. And people seems to like it over here.
So I guess it might also be a cultural thing?

Last edited:

MarcVD

The ICNG trains will also run in the Amsterdam - Bruxelles service, yes. The train that will be used for that service will have a bit different interior with more provision for luggage and bicycle space. And of course the trains will be technically a bit different as they have to be suitable for Belgium. Twenty trains have been ordered for the Belgium services.

The ICNG-B (Belgium) will be compatible with the regular ICNG, so they can be coupled up in service within the Netherlands.

This will bring us back 60 years before, when Benelux trains were made will a special version of "hondekop" trains, also compatible with the regular ones...

DanielB

The seat covering has been fake leather in 2nd class and fabric in the 1st class in the past, but somewhere in the last few decades it turned around and the 1st class got the fake leather seats and the 2nd class the fabric. And that has changed again in the past 15 years with the 2nd class also returning to fake leather. And people seems to like it over here.
So I guess it might also be a cultural thing?
The last change was a cleaning thing: in ICMm the fabric on the 2nd class seats was getting quite dirty, therefore it was changed to fake leather. SLT was another intermediate situation with fabric on both first and second class seats, in which however a lot of dust was accumulating leading to a changeover to fake leather.

More than a cultural thing, it could well be related to how the network is operated in the Netherlands. Lots of trains have short turnaround times so there is hardly any time for cleaning in between trips: for example an IC from Groningen to Rotterdam has a turnaround of only 10 minutes at Rotterdam Central, after which it makes another three hour journey back to Groningen. The turnaround there is longer, but still only allows for basic cleaning like emptying bins, cleaning the toilets etc.
Obviously that's one of the reasons NS likes to have an interior that is easily cleaned and hence also the dark floor coverings on which it is less noticeable they're dirty. They've tried yellow vinyl on the floors in the ICR carriages, but that was not really a succes.

MisterT

Well, of course it's a practical thing to do for NS. But with 'cultural thing' I was more talking about the perception of the passengers. As far as I can tell, there isn't really someone here that says 'it has to be fabric in 1st class because with fake leather it is not a true first class'.
On the contrary, from what I see is that relatively more people seem to be asking when the fabrics are replaced with the more durable plastics (especially when the fabrics need changing :lol:).

JonasB

As for coat hooks, those are obviously available and can already be seen in a few places. Don't forget that this is a not finished test train, so that's why they are missing for the most part.

Where are the coat hooks located? I thought I looked carefully but couldn't see any, but obviously I missed them.

And yes, I know that distances in the NL are short, but I also know that the trains are slow (are there any trains outside HSL-Zuid that exceed 140 km/h?) so travel times aren't always short.

But, it looks like a great train and I look forward to travel on it!

MisterT

Where are the coat hooks located? I thought I looked carefully but couldn't see any, but obviously I missed them.
I've attached a picture, courtesy of https://www.treinreiziger.nl/ns-start-testprogramma-icng-productie-vertraagd/. There are two coat hook types: the regular ones above the seats, and on some seats there is an additional one on the back of next seat in coach formation.
And yes, I know that distances in the NL are short, but I also know that the trains are slow (are there any trains outside HSL-Zuid that exceed 140 km/h?) so travel times aren't always short.
Not yet. The 140 km/h limit is imposed by the safety system ATB. On some lines train could go faster (160 or 200 km/h), but most of the trains aren't equipped with the necessary ETCS installation, and most drivers aren't trained on ETCS, so even the trains that have it (like the SNG Sprinter trains) still run with only ATB enabled.

Attachments

• 20200606_182122.jpg
    20200606_182122.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 44
Status
Not open for further replies.