• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Tramway Signage

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC60054

Noticed these signs going up the other day now around my local stop on the Sheffield Supertram, but as yet I've not actually noticed them at any other stop, or found out exactly what they're for. They seem to be around both sets of traffic lights at either end of the stop - does anyone know what they're actually used for / what they mean?

Thanks in advance.

0344a0a52e96c01f1de2666a420aae25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TC60054

It means 'Trams give way to other trams or other road traffic'

See p56 of this document:
https://www.centro.org.uk/media/541...on-Tramways_Railways-Safety-Publication-2.pdf

Note that I mean 'the page marked 56'. This is actually the 66th physical page of the document!

Thanks very much - although by where they've been positioned (so far I've only noticed them at pedestrian only crossings), would I be right in assuming that they've been put up to tell tram drivers to give way to pedestrians crossing the road as well?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Previous versions of the "give way" sign have had a much smaller triangle in the middle, but I expect this one will mean the same. Pedestrian crossings of roads with tramways I've seen elsewhere have tram signals included, so if these don't then that could be a reason for the sign. Tram drivers generally aren't required to obey red-amber-green traffic signals.

samuel791

They are in place for when Green and Bar happens, so we just travel through a Bar aspect on a Green signal. The location you are showing is White Lane which is an RTS loop, so if you overshoot the loop, you will no longer need to radio up for a signal to be put in from OCC.

As for the question what is the sign, it's a give way.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Are you saying they effectively authorise a tram to pass a horizontal bar stop aspect, as long as there are no pedestrians on the crossing?

TC60054

They are in place for when Green and Bar happens, so we just travel through a Bar aspect on a Green signal. The location you are showing is White Lane which is an RTS loop, so if you overshoot the loop, you will no longer need to radio up for a signal to be put in from OCC.

As for the question what is the sign, it's a give way.

Thanks for clearing this up - makes perfect sense!

Good route knowledge as well there ;)

samuel791

Are you saying they effectively authorise a tram to pass a horizontal bar stop aspect, as long as there are no pedestrians on the crossing?

Yes, as they have realised it causes far more problems than they solve. Especially if sat in traffic and they time out. This only applies on pedestrian crossings however.

9 times out of 10 if you get a Green and Bar you are told to proceed to normal traffic conditions anyway, i.e. go with the traffic light sequences.

Only half the system is covered in Sheffield with the new signage, with the Middlewood/Malin Bridge side due to be covered in the next few weeks once more signage arrives and is fitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.