• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Transdev Cityzap services registered (and now cancelled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lejog

Established Member
This stop:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...cf8963ba05c7a76!8m2!3d53.6700358!4d-1.8310938

is shared by ZAP and First's 501. Unfortunately that's only going to be any use in the early evening.

Perhaps I should have worded my post rather better, but the last Manchester Cityzap from that stop is 6.55pm and the first 501 from there (into Huddersfield) is at 8.05pm. From the Warren Farm stop there is a better connection between the last Leeds Cityzap and the first 501 to Halifax, but I hardly think that is going to form the basis for a commercial agreement between Transdev and First!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Perhaps I should have worded my post rather better, but the last Manchester Cityzap from that stop is 6.55pm and the first 501 from there (into Huddersfield) is at 8.05pm. From the Warren Farm stop there is a better connection between the last Leeds Cityzap and the first 501 to Halifax, but I hardly think that is going to form the basis for a commercial agreement between Transdev and First!

I did say it wouldn't be much use. However if going to Halifax from Manchester the wait is only around 20 minutes. On a Sunday the first 501 is at 1715 towards Halifax and 1640 towards Huddersfield.

johntea

Established Member
I tried the Cityzap from Leeds to York this evening, without traffic it managed the trip in around 35 minutes, although it does feel a bit like a poor mans 36 interior wise ;)

tbtc

Veteran Member
Timetable now available on the Transdev Lancashire site.
http://www.lancashirebus.co.uk/

My favourite thing about that site is that, when you look at a map (e.g. the M4 from Burnley to Keighley - http://www.lancashirebus.co.uk/times.jsp?routeID=374 ) it comes up with the following:

Places to Visit on the M4:
Sorry, we do not currently have any attractions for this service. If you know of any places of interest served by the M4, why not contact us with your recommendations?

... i.e. there's nowhere interesting around here, our buses don't go anywhere attractive.

(no offence to the good people of Burnley...)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
My favourite thing about that site is that, when you look at a map (e.g. the M4 from Burnley to Keighley - http://www.lancashirebus.co.uk/times.jsp?routeID=374 ) it comes up with the following:

... i.e. there's nowhere interesting around here, our buses don't go anywhere attractive.

(no offence to the good people of Burnley...)
More a case of the technology exceeding the ability of the people running it. Please do our job for us, we've spent all this money on a shiny, all singing and dancing, with bells and whistles, website but don't have the time to utilise all the features. A bit like news websites "do you have any pictures of this event" or "were you affected by this event".

I think they call it 'user generated content'.

Alternatively perhaps it is to generate advertising revenue? I.e. it is not a useful, comprehensive list to all attractions on the route, merely those that pay to be featured - of whom none in Burnley are daft enough to waste their money?

Plenty of things to do and see on that route. If Transdev want to send me a small amount of cash I'll fill out their website for them!

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
Comparing the fares with National Express Manchester-Leeds & pretty much similar fares, standard fare on NEX is anything from £5 to £7.50 singl,e & £9.80 return.

96tommy

£6 return from Leeds to Manchester is one I can't complain with. I can get the train cheaper when booking in advance sometimes. It is just a shame the timings are not very convenient. Will try it out but have yet to be impressed by the current CityZap and the thought of sitting in the notorious M62 traffic jam and slow speed restrictions has yet to appeal to me

theblackwatch

Established Member
The fares certainly weren't there when I looked earlier today! £9.50 from Harrogate to Manchester is a bargain I will certainly try out at some point, shame the last service back across the pennines is so early.

johntea

Established Member
Yes, especially on a Saturday when you consider you can catch the 36 from Leeds back to Harrogate right up until 3:15am!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Its a shame that all the Transdev routes are run independently, and that all the Leeds-Manchester ZAP buses have to go back to the 'wrong side' of the Pennines. If there was some joined up thinking, one vehicle could stay over at H&D's Starbeck depot and do a 36 service (or run empty - the 'ECS' mileage would be no more than at the other end), enabling a later bus from Manchester to Leeds and earlier one the opposite way (or not run the 05.52 Ainley Top-Leeds service).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Its a shame that all the Transdev routes are run independently, and that all the Leeds-Manchester ZAP buses have to go back to the 'wrong side' of the Pennines. If there was some joined up thinking, one vehicle could stay over at H&D's Starbeck depot and do a 36 service (or run empty - the 'ECS' mileage would be no more than at the other end), enabling a later bus from Manchester to Leeds and earlier one the opposite way (or not run the 05.52 Ainley Top-Leeds service).
That's the buses sorted... but what about the drivers? Hotels? Rail or NatEx on the company purse? ;)

SCH117X

Established Member
They do seem very reluctant to share services between depots. Logically the Little Explorers would be worked by both York and Starbeck then there would no need for "express" workings at the start and end of the day simply to get a bus to/from Knaresborough (etc) from/to York at a time when I imagine custom for such is very limited to the point of non existant.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Personally I think that Transdev should make use a outstation, surely there's got to be some land at Outlane for one - all it needs is three buses and a portakabin then that would solve the "dead mileage" problem, as for drivers employ a handful of locals.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Personally I think that Transdev should make use a outstation, surely there's got to be some land at Outlane for one - all it needs is three buses and a portakabin then that would solve the "dead mileage" problem, as for drivers employ a handful of locals.

How much do you think that would cost them?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Is that just an assumption you've made, or is it based on any calculations you've done?

A dedicatedoutstation would be a big, risky investment solely for a new commercial operation like this for only 3 buses.

Best running with dead mileage for the time being to gauge the underlying profitability of the service. After that, the numbers may stack up better (especially if demand proves to be sufficient to warrant upping the service frequency)

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Is that just an assumption you've made, or is it based on any calculations you've done?
I've based it on rough calculations between the depot and the start of the route and multiplied it by 28 to give me a rough idea on the amount of fuel used (based on the average cost of diesel - this being around £1.15 a litre and the distance covered) vs. the cost of some cheap wasteland to use as an outstation (which would cost around £30k).

I can't remember the exact figure it came to but its close.

Andyh82

Established Member
What engineering support would you have at this outstation, who would open and lock up, where would drivers sign on at the start of their shift and pay their cash in at the end?

SCH117X

Established Member
Not just engineering support but cleaners, washing of vehicles etc. Transdev Blazefield have a well turned out fleet that does not go with parking on wasteland with minimal support. The proper alternative to the initial arrangement would be, as has been suggested, running some of the service with a vehicle and drivers based at Starbeck Harrogate.

Status
Not open for further replies.