• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New TV series: The Architecture the Railways Built

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

timmydunn

Ex
Like you, I find the lack of maps disappointing. I also wish there were plans showing the actual structure and how it fits together - it is after all called the architecture the railways built. I guess, however, isn't really aimed at railway enthusiasts but rather at the general public.

Hi Simon. We'd like more plans too - but alas during Covid we've not been able to visit archives to fish stuff out. There are a few across the series, but - well - Covid and logistics! THere will be a few more maps in series 3 though just to help explain some of the context better. a point of note though - there were at least two maps in the Huddersfield episode and drawings in a few others scattered about (inc BTM) - just perhaps not as many as I would like if I was writing a book on these things!

The Underground programme will, I'm sure, contain something of interest for everyone too ;)

simonw

Ex

Hi Simon. We'd like more plans too - but alas during Covid we've not been able to visit archives to fish stuff out. There are a few across the series, but - well - Covid and logistics! THere will be a few more maps in series 3 though just to help explain some of the context better. a point of note though - there were at least two maps in the Huddersfield episode and drawings in a few others scattered about (inc BTM) - just perhaps not as many as I would like if I was writing a book on these things!

The Underground programme will, I'm sure, contain something of interest for everyone too ;)
Hi Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It was actually the Huddersfield segment that made me realise that we don't normally see maps.

bearhugger

Ex

A book (or possibly a series of books) based roughly on the tv show sounds like a rather good idea. I would be interested in that.

geoffk

Established Member
I see it's the last one next week and it includes Harringworth or Welland Viaduct, a definite must-see.

davetheguard

Established Member
I've got a bit behind and just watched the Bristol TM episode; if I can call it that. I've always been a fan of the Gothic style of architecture, and like Tim, I like Temple Meads a lot.

I got to see the inside of Brunel's original terminus next door for the first time in 2019 when I visited it as the venue for the local annual beer festival - fantastic with, or without, a great beer in your hand. I'm looking forward to seeing the light flooding in to the station through the new refurbished roof mentioned in the programme.

I've never visited any of the three Baltic States, but a re-opened railway from Talinn (as mentioned in the same programme) would probably provide enough of an excuse to put that right!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I very much enjoyed the one on Sheffield.

I've spent a lot of time in The Tap, but I'd not appreciated the class distinctions between the rooms, so it was very interesting.

Needless to say, my least favourite section in which to sit, turns out to have been for the third class hoi polloi :lol:

timmydunn

That's a wrap for series 2! (And we've just finished filming series 3. If you can't stand the presenter and his big grinning face then at least there are some good locations to come; all filmed during "covid times".)

All 20 episodes aired so far are now free to watch on the UKTV Play app and website, available in the UK. Cheers for the previous feedback and suggestions too - we do read it all. https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/the-architecture-the-railways-built/watch-online

Ta
Tim

AndrewE

Established Member
I think I have seen most, if not all of these programmes and, like other people, I have really enjoyed them.
I remember seeing Antwerp station covered in one or other of the TV programmes recently but I felt that the programme really didn't do the rebuild justice.
The old bit is pretty good, but not so much better than similar stations around Europe. In the new-build however the light-boxes cladding the support columns right down to the new deepest-level through platforms made it feel as though the whole station was lit by sunlight, and the extra mezzanine level terminal platforms were very cleverly added in as well.
I just wish St Pancras had been given the same treatment, rather than the high-level concrete deck out at the country end!

davetheguard

Established Member
That's a wrap for series 2! (And we've just finished filming series 3. If you can't stand the presenter and his big grinning face then at least there are some good locations to come; all filmed during "covid times".)

All 20 episodes aired so far are now free to watch on the UKTV Play app and website, available in the UK. Cheers for the previous feedback and suggestions too - we do read it all. https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/the-architecture-the-railways-built/watch-online

Ta
Tim

Any "teasers" of some of what we might see in series three?

Whatever, I hope you keep the same format of UK + some mainland Europe stuff too.

timmydunn

No proper teasers yet! There is the same balance of UK +mainland Europe; perhaps a bit more stuff from the outside than going into confined spaces. But then if you like confined, tiny spaces then "secrets of the london underground" is also in production as well. And that features some unexpected things too.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It was good to see the Harringworth arches featured in the last episode.

Since most people don't get the chance to travel over or under it, I get the impression that it's a bit of a hidden treasure that only railway people know about (ironic really, given the size of the thing !).

John Luxton

Established Member
I would just like to say that having watched both series 1 and 2 - they are excellent. W

That makes them excellent unlike so many other railway series is that they remain focused on the railway - we don't end up going off at tangents to other locations in the vicinity which lets so many other railway TV programmes down.

Looking forward to series 3

John

Status
Not open for further replies.