• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New User Rank Introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
At a recent meeting of the Forum Staff we discussed possible changes to the current system of User Ranks (see here). It was decided that as the forum is now ten years old and has a number of members who have been with us a long time and have contributed much to the forum we would like recognise this with a new User Rank.

It was decided, therefore, to introduce the rank of 'Veteran Member' to apply to these members. There are no material changes to their status it is simply a small indication of the scale of their experience and commitment to the forum.

No other changes have been made to the User Rank system.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Under the old system, a Member became an Established Member having made a given number of posts. When that rank was introduced, forum staff declined to state the magic number of posts as they may revise it in the future (and have done so at least once already to my knowledge). It's not a *secret* per se, as you can compare members' post counts and ranks to work out where the boundary is.

backontrack

Established Member
I thought that it was given to you after making a 'significant contribution' to the forum.

Crossover

Established Member
One point, the rank appears to be "Veteran User" rather than Member (I think Member makes more sense)

As for the Established Member, the number has definitely changed a few times - I lost the rank a few times in the earlier days

backontrack

Established Member
I feel rather proud of my new forum title.

Well, you've earned it, Paul. You really have. :smile:

For sterling contributions to the main forums, for outstanding contributions to the Quizzes & Games forum, for welcoming every new player into the community we have with a smile and a friendly PM, and introducing them to all the games we have and how we play them, for all the support you give the quizzes that we play, for helping with quiz suggestions, for supporting the newer games such as Letter by Letter and Alphabet Stations, for four years of service to The next station is..., and an even greater status as the master of the Closed Stations Journey Quiz...

The point is, you have earned this status, Paul. You've made more contributions to the running of this forum, especially the Quizzes section of it, than almost anyone. And you've helped us all, everyone in RailUK. Nobody deserves this accolade more than you. :smile:

:rf::rf::rf:

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh, nice! I got alerted to this change by backontrack's visitor message. Certainly it's nice to be recognised as a veteran member, although to be honest as most of my viewing of the forum is via the app, I don't see such things as post counts, locations and member status. Not things that bother me with it and I'm quite happy using the app.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One point, the rank appears to be "Veteran User" rather than Member (I think Member makes more sense)

I am presently clobbering a tame Administrator over the head with a rolled up newspaper to get him back into the forum server room and fix this minor oversight ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am presently clobbering a tame Administrator over the head with a rolled up newspaper to get him back into the forum server room and fix this minor oversight ;)
I have fixed this :)

As for the identity of said Administrator, I make no comment other than to say it wasn't me ;)

Crossover

Established Member

Quite a tame punishment, too...what happened to the forum cattle prod and branding iron? ;)

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
**crawls out of the server room, battered and bruised**

backontrack

Established Member
Is there such a thing as a 'server room'? Is it just a cupboard? Or a magical wardrobe? :P

D365

Veteran Member
As for the identity of said Administrator, I make no comment other than to say it wasn't me ;)

Upon seeing the title of your linked music video, I assumed it instantly to be Shaggy of Scooby-Doo fame... :oops:

How many more postings will it take for me to achieve this crowning accolade. It would sure look good on my CV!

backontrack

Established Member
Upon seeing the title of your linked music video, I assumed it instantly to be Shaggy of Scooby-Doo fame... :oops:[/SIZE]

I read it is 'It wasn't me' by Shark Attacks 2015 ;) :p

Only joking, I too thought it was that Shaggy. :oops:

David

Established Member

Rather polite for the forum staff! I guess the methods discussed here are no longer in use then :P

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Rather polite for the forum staff! I guess the methods discussed here are no longer in use then :P

Well there was some protestations about human rights, illegal working practices and other such nonsense so in the end we had to make some minor changes...

Crossover

Established Member
Is there such a thing as a 'server room'? Is it just a cupboard? Or a magical wardrobe? :P

It is such a grand term for a broom cupboard in the old New St ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Upon seeing the title of your linked music video, I assumed it instantly to be Shaggy of Scooby-Doo fame... :oops:

How many more postings will it take for me to achieve this crowning accolade. It would sure look good on my CV!

Well, I have nearly 5,200 posts and I don't have it, so I think you may need to get posting ;)

EDIT: I suspect the new rank kicks in somewhere around 10k (someone with 9.5k posts isn't, someone with 11k is) - it will likely be a random number but there may only be a dozen or so such members

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Have you received your letters inviting you to the Veteran's Day Parade and to receive the Veteran's Pension. ;)

Doesn't it make you Veteran types feel a bit like you've got one foot in the grave? :lol:

Not that I'm jealous or anything ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.