• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Velaro D sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0hn0

The rule regarding the ability to split the train has been relaxed. The length rules hasn't and still stands.

interesting, in that case they will only be able to run 2 units in multiple.

Probably one from Frankfurt and the other from Dortmund or Hamburg, maybe calling at the usual Ruhr stops on the way

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daimler

Established Member
interesting, in that case they will only be able to run 2 units in multiple.

Probably one from Frankfurt and the other from Dortmund or Hamburg, maybe calling at the usual Ruhr stops on the way

According to the most recent issue of Modern Railways, we won't be seeing them just yet - the revised rules still state that trains must be a minimum of 375 metres long* (the distance between two 'escape' doors in the Tunnel), and the trains in question must be through-gangwayed.

However, this may be subject to change if the shorter trains can be proved by the operator to be safe for evacuation nonetheless.

*An ICE3 is 200 metres long.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
They have to be damned careful about the rules. Just imagine if they relaxed them and there was an incident leading to fatalities that could have been prevented with the old rules. They are only going to do it if it can be proven that the relaxed rules offer no additional risk.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
aren't Velaro D sets diesels which would not be allowed through the Channel Tunnel in any case?

If trains using the Tunnel have to be 375 metres long, how were the North of London sets supposed to use the tunnel as they are somewhat shorter than the regular E* sets?

j0hn0

aren't Velaro D sets diesels which would not be allowed through the Channel Tunnel in any case?

If trains using the Tunnel have to be 375 metres long, how were the North of London sets supposed to use the tunnel as they are somewhat shorter than the regular E* sets?

I think the D refers to Deutschland on the new sets, could be mistaken, but I wouldn't think that they would build some new TDs to go through the tunnel

A60K

That's what quite a few people have complained about in Germany - so DB's about to start replacing the English terms it uses with German!

And I really don't know how the NoL sets were permitted to be shorter... puzzling!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
or even Denglisch, it's german which is peppered with english words.

Some of the more amusing ones I have come across recently:

gecancelled
gegoogelt
geclickt

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Denglish?

similar concept to "Franglais". Not a concept ever worried about with English as our language has always been rather magpie-esque.

A little more "on-topic", the standing for that does make a bit more sense to me now- I had wondered why they were going "backwards" after the Velaro-E- the model for AVE in Spain, ie Espana.

the batch-2 Velaro CN sound quite spectacular- 16 car sets with a 380km/h service speed, of which they're building 100 (in China)

Status
Not open for further replies.