• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Video of A380 from Dubai Airshow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprog

Established Member
http://www.jimmygrewal.com/?p=181

Heres a vid ive been linked to showing the new Airbus A380 at the Dubai Airshow. The way its thrown about the sky you'd be forgiven to believe its the largest airliner in the world!! :shock: 8-)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Well on the topic of the A380 it may be visiting Heathrow on the 28th/29th of April for its first visit to the UK. I don't think this is comfirmed yet.

AJP

I wouldnt mind that landng at Finningly Doncaster/Sheffield Robin Hood airport.

But I still think boeigh 747's look better ;)

Guinness

Established Member
Angus said:
To be honest I think they are both ugly, but the A380 is undoubtedly the greatest monstrosity.

Much prefer the A380 although I wouldn't call it a 'monstrosity' but I agree that there are much better looking aircraft out there.

Well I'd say neither is exactly elegant but the 747 has to be worse looking in my view. I mean at least the A380 does away with that unsightly hump. Have to say I think the A380 looks more powerful and masculine too.

Boeing-Pilot

ckyliu said:
Well I'd say neither is exactly elegant but the 747 has to be worse looking in my view. I mean at least the A380 does away with that unsightly hump. Have to say I think the A380 looks more powerful and masculine too.

Don't think it's all about the looks, although it does look quite nice. But it's more to do with what it's going to do for the airlines. And at the moment with the wings failing to standard and it going to cost more on fuel than the 748 doesnt look to good at the moment. - although the A380 is getting back on track, time will tell...

Kind Regards,

Guinness

Established Member
The Wing snapped at 148% normal load as opposed to 150% as written out by the Aviation Authoritys. Airbus need to strengthen it slightly ready for another test.

747-8 - How much more can Boeing squeeze out of 1960s Design....

Angus

Boeing-Pilot said:
Don't think it's all about the looks, although it does look quite nice. But it's more to do with what it's going to do for the airlines. And at the moment with the wings failing to standard and it going to cost more on fuel than the 748 doesnt look to good at the moment. - although the A380 is getting back on track, time will tell...

Kind Regards,

Well yes, the bean counters care more about operating costs, so in that sense that is more important, but aircraft were meant to look graceful and beautiful, and the A380 most definitely isn't either of those things (IMO). As for the wings, Airbus will probably be able to find a way to make some minor alterations to either the wings or the figures to pass the requirements - that's not a big problem.

Most importantly (and worryingly) of all, airlines being able to carry more passengers per pilot with the A380 is not good news. But then has their been a single positive development for pilots since the 1970s?

Boeing-Pilot said:
And at the moment with the wings failing to standard and it going to cost more on fuel than the 748 doesnt look to good at the moment. - although the A380 is getting back on track, time will tell...

It's 2-3% under the limits! I'm sure Airbus will put the weight up a few tonnes to achieve this additional strength - not! Furthermore how do you know how much the 748 is going to cost to fuel - it's a paper airplane, they haven't even cut any metal for it! And it won't arrive until the end of the decade, maybe later. At the same percentage loadings I expect the A380 to be more efficient and of course it will be available a lot sooner too. Oh and we forgot one more factor - maintainence. The 747 IS fundementally 60s design and as such it costs a lot more to maintain.

On a more serious note, yes the A380 is ugly, and yes, the 747 is uglier. We haven't gone backwards in that department, not from the 747 at least. Ugly, humpback, fat, slobby, piece of rubbish I think it is and it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.