• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Virgin East Coast Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
Anybody know when this new system will be live and whether we'll still be able to use the old system from then (I assume not)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes and no

It's a shame Webtis is going especially as GNER we're the pioneers of it.

I used to use East Coast for all my ticket purchases. With the demise of Rewards and now this change there is little point. All I will use VTEC for now is special offers that can't be booked elsewhere.

Joe Paxton

Established Member

Still using WebTIS are all the First Group TOCs (GWR, TPX, Hull Trains) plus c2c and Chiltern (unlike the other Arriva TOCs that use Trainline). And Atos's own redspottedhanky.

With redspottedhanky and GWR you can force use of the original 'mixing deck' interface by using the prefix 'tickets' in the URL, so for example: http://tickets.redspottedhanky.com

Wallsendmag

Established Member

I used to use East Coast for all my ticket purchases. With the demise of Rewards and now this change there is little point. All I will use VTEC for now is special offers that can't be booked elsewhere.

It's starting to show its age there are quite a few things it struggles to handle and some it just can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Joe Paxton

Established Member
It's starting to show its age there are quite a few things it struggles to handle and some it just can't.

Out of curiosity what are these limitations to WebTIS? (I appreciate Wallsendmag might not be able to answer directly, so others feel free to chip in!)

One limitation from a user point-of-view of WebTIS is that it's easy to miss when there are First class Advance tickets that are cheaper than Standard class tickets (i.e. where the cheaper Std class ticket allocations have sold out), that and when First class might only be a little more expensive than Standard.

Also, thinking of the main competition, to me the basic Trainline interface could also be said to be showing its age, though I appreciate there are various 'skins' for it and that underneath it has (well it must have been) updated over the years.

I have to say that nowadays I'm finding booking with Crosscountry an attracive prospect, not for any aesthetic user interface rationale but simply because of their new 'no admin fee' policy for Advance ticket date/time changes.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is there a way to obtain cycle reservations on this system? I can't see any.

tspaul26

Established Member
Err, what happened?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Interface wasn't loading correctly (no enriched typefaces, &c.) and journey planner fields kept resetting. Then the whole thing froze and redirected to the standard website.

Maybe next time...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've encountered a difference in interpretation for a rule involving the 'Network Area' between the two sites; the new site is charging a lower fare for some journeys than the old site.

I'll send details to people I know who work for VTEC (in a fares capacity) in case they are interested. If either of the suppliers of these systems are interested, they are more than welcome to contact me and I'll be happy to provide the details.

SaveECRewards

Not at present, and no firm future plans to include that functionality.

That's a bit annoying as making it difficult for cyclists when a new site should be making things easier.

The main drawback of WebTIS is you had to go through the full reservation stage just to see if bike spaces were available, then if there weren't any available you then had to click back to the list and try another service, but at least it was possible.

Ideally a new booking engine could indicate services where cycle reservations are possible but are not available (maybe if you set a cycling preference in your profile so it doesn't cause visual clutter for non-cyclists) then make it easy to reserve a space.

The new website is missing two features for me:
- Cycle reservations (I'd consider this is major regression if the existing site is closed without this implemented)
- Catering vouchers (not sure how popular they are but I use them)

At least with cycle reservations we can still use GWR to book the VTEC tickets (and GWR gives Nectar points on all rail tickets!) but then we lose the seatmap (but that often disappeared with a cycle res for some reason), the catering vouchers can't be booked anywhere else (they could on the now discontinued Southern instance of WebTIS for some reason but none of the others)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have an account with Virgin East Coast and a few days had an email supposedly from them asking me to re register my account. I was not sure if it was a spam/fraud etc so I ignored it, however when I tried to log-on today, it did seem to indicate that I should register again, although I did eventually get into my original account.

Has anyone else had a similar occurrence?

Thank you.

Established Member
You have to reregister with them to use their new website, an inconvenience that's barely worth the effort in my view, so maybe that's the background to the email you received from them.

I did this a week or so ago when the new site was a beta version, so haven't had any emails off them.

I've had the same email, it all looks legit but, like you, I had a level of suspicion. I've no idea why they need to do this. I seem to remember that when VTEC took over from East Coast the accounts were transferred pretty seamlessly.

ld0595

I got an email but oddly I managed to log on without creating a new account. Here's a screenshot of the email I got. Perhaps it's because I logged into the mobile rather than desktop site?

IMG_2860.png

I wonder why they had to make everyone do that? Seems a bit odd.

Last edited:

Established Member
'for the awesome' - oh please. The Virgin guff really does wear you down eventually.

When you complete a booking on the new site it announces it with a cheery 'Wahey!' No, all I've done is booked a tiny seat on an overcrowded morning train from York to Kings Cross.

Last edited:

Joe Paxton

Established Member
When the Southern, Southeastern and London Midland sites changed from Atos WebTIS to their new Govia booking engine the same thing happened, i.e. a requirement to re-register in order to use the new site.

I dare say maintaining an account with VTEC might prove useful for when a sale comes along.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
It's quite possible that the new site is actually run by a different legal entity from the old one and there would be data protection implications were they just to share all the user account information?

ashworth

Established Member
'for the awesome' - oh please. The Virgin guff really does wear you down eventually.

When you complete a booking on the new site it announces it with a cheery 'Wahey!' No, all I've done is booked a tiny seat on an overcrowded morning train from York to Kings Cross.

I know exactly what you mean! During the week between booking my ticket and travelling I almost received daily emails from them with them arriving at even more frequent intervals during the 24 hours before travelling and again before my return journey.

Each email reminded me that I will get free Wifi and that I must remember my Wifi Code which I will find printed on my Booking Comfirmation. Only problem was there were no Wifi codes on my Booking Confirmation. I showed these emails and my booking confirmation to the man at the Information desk, at Grantham on my outward journey, he couldn't understand why I hadn't received a Wifi code and suggested that all I could do was to send VTEC an email about this. Now, of course I am waiting the up to 30 days before my email may be responded to. I wonder if I will get any useful compensation?

tspaul26

Established Member
Each email reminded me that I will get free Wifi and that I must remember my Wifi Code which I will find printed on my Booking Comfirmation. Only problem was there were no Wifi codes on my Booking Confirmation. I showed these emails and my booking confirmation to the man at the Information desk, at Grantham on my outward journey, he couldn't understand why I hadn't received a Wifi code and suggested that all I could do was to send VTEC an email about this. Now, of course I am waiting the up to 30 days before my email may be responded to. I wonder if I will get any useful compensation?

And with our amazing free onboard wifi, you can do just that!

It's so easy even a woman could do it.* All you have to do is log in using the code included with your bo..ah...

*Added for those following some of Philip Hammond's recent travails in another thread.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No it's the same people

Blimey. If it's still ATOS then from a customer point of view it's as bad as when they tried to change to the Fares View version that was quickly binned.

Still don't understand why a new account is needed if it's the same people running it.

alistairlees

Established Member
Blimey. If it's still ATOS then from a customer point of view it's as bad as when they tried to change to the Fares View version that was quickly binned.

Still don't understand why a new account is needed if it's the same people running it.

The new booking engine is (I believe) Vix / SilverRail (I am happy to be corrected!). The old booking engine was Worldline (Atos spun off Worldline as a separate entity some years ago).

Which TIS supplier provides it has no bearing on the legal entity that you are entering into a contract with. In both cases it's Virgin Trains East Coast (or whatever their correct legal name is).

As to why your login details cannot be transferred, the answer is probably that they are hashed (they should be anyway). Hashing is a one way process - in other words you can't reverse it. So it isn't possible to pass on your logon (well, password) details from one technology system to another; the user has to re-enter them.

As to whether your order history (and any other historical data) are transferred from one TIS system to another, that's more a matter for how the databases are structured in each, and whether these are compatible / it's worth the effort.

When the East Coast franchise / directly operated service was replaced by the Virgin Trains East Coast Service, that was of course a change of legal entity that you, as a customer, were contracting with, and permission should have been sought to transfer your data from one to the other.

westv

Established Member
It will be bad news for me if my orders can't be transferred over. I have loads I need to keep.
I've heard nothing yet from VTEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.