• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New VTWC (Virgin Trains West Coast) first class weekend upgrade prices from June 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

crehld

Established Member
The catering is going to be improved. Basically similar to the weekday light bites option with sandwich crisps biscuits and reduced selection of soft & hot drinks
If the catering offer if improved then it may just make the increased price worth investing in. Is an improved service definitely on the cards?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hazlehead

Yep and scheduled to start 4th June.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If the catering offer if improved then it may just make the increased price worth investing in. Is an improved service definitely on the cards?

The weekday light bites aren't very good either if you compare it to a breakfast or a dinner.

It isn't always the best i agree but lets remember alot of journeys are relatively short these days and whether we like it or not it's a business and its here to make a profit. Most of thee times that light bites is available the majority of first class passengers are travelling on heavily discounted advance tickets not full price anytime. If i was paying £225+ I'd be disappointed but if i was paying from £17.50 from birm to eus and i got fed, soft drinks, hot drinks AND alcohol I'd say i was getting value for money.

Trackman

Established Member
On the 1A38 from Picc to London - still £15.
I'll ask him about it when he comes round

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
Update:
It's been deferred for a month as the catering side isn't ready yet.
Ticket machines have been updated with the new prices, not sure how that works still charging £15, I bought an advance first so I dont know.

ScottishIain

Update:
It's been deferred for a month as the catering side isn't ready yet.
Ticket machines have been updated with the new prices, not sure how that works still charging £15, I bought an advance first so I dont know.
I'm currently on a Euston to Glasgow service just now and upgraded. The train manager did the £15 upgrade as far ads it now takes you then endorsed it for the remainder of the journey.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-H using Tapatalk

sonic2009

Established Member
I've just upgraded from London to Crewe, and was given a London - Birmingham Weekend Upgrade.

bengolding

Similarly, the TM earlier was giving London to Liverpool customers Weekend First upgrades to Nuneston for £15, as their machines have the new prices. They advised the new prices would come into effect next weekend. The First Class Host clearly wasn't very happy at having to do more work in offering the enhanced Weekend First food offering, whenever that starts! Also overhearing their conversation, some naughty TMs have begun charging the new Weekend First prices already!

davidgiles

What happens to VT first class catering on Scottish bank holidays (eg 1 August)? Reduced 'weekend' offering or does the English non-bank holiday trump it and ensure a full service? Any ideas?

causton

Established Member
I noticed many Tyrell messages from Virgin saying to sell the lower priced upgrade fares e.g. London to Rugby on the Birmingham route... so the naughty TMs either don't read their messages, didn't understand them or just wanted to annoy the customers ;)

ScottishIain

Similarly, the TM earlier was giving London to Liverpool customers Weekend First upgrades to Nuneston for £15, as their machines have the new prices. They advised the new prices would come into effect next weekend. The First Class Host clearly wasn't very happy at having to do more work in offering the enhanced Weekend First food offering, whenever that starts! Also overhearing their conversation, some naughty TMs have begun charging the new Weekend First prices already!

Seen this happen on the service I was on yesterday, the TM who worked the service from Euston to Wolverhampton was selling them at the old prices and endorsing the tickets as did the TM who boarded at Wolverhampton but then they changed again at Preston that TM was selling them at the new prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djhappy

I just spoke to vt on Twitter the new weekend first service is going to start next weekend.

MKB

We got the new food offering this past weekend (2-3 July) between Nuneaton and Manchester. [The weekend before hadn't changed, so it looks like there was a further delay.]

I'm happy to report that I liked it a lot. And it was significantly more substantial than the weekday "dinner" I was served on Friday, which was smaller than a typical restaurant starter.

Sunday's afternoon offering was a fresh and tasty wrap containing crumbly cheese, carrot, lettuce and pickle. There was also a most delicious panettone muffin. It was large but very light in texture.

I felt full after these, so saved the packet of pretzels and the chocolate Ugly for later.

There was no choice of food. We just got given all four items, followed later by the usual weekend tea/coffee/water/soft drink choice.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
That's good news. Virgin's weekend offering has been poor for quite a long time, so it's good to see some improvement. Still, you're paying more for it...

Trackman

Established Member
I'll sample the fare this weekend.
I see VT have updated the prices on their website.

Hazlehead

You did well there as the Pantatone is only the breakfast item with a banana. Must have had a few to get rid of or catering staff didn't know

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Did Manchester to Euston in 1st yesterday evening, same little snack box thing as before, most of which I can't eat anyway as I am gluten free.

TBH, on this kind of journey I'd be more interested in a paid for restaurant car meal than a little snack box. Perhaps along the lines of that provided in the DB Bistro rather than the heavy 3 course stuff though.

MKB

Yeah, back to snack boxes on EUS-COV yesterday. :(

Girl said it was because only a handful of wraps had been loaded so she wasn't going to bother as every one would want one.

paddington

Glasgow-Euston last weekend on the cheapest advance

Had 2 cheese wraps, 2 pannetones and 2 bananas plus several paper cups of tea. Would have preferred something meaty and not so creamy, but you take what you are given, at least I didn't have to pay extra for it.

There were lots of upgraders seemingly happy to pay the new prices, a lot of them didn't even take any food

All Line Rover

Established Member
The cheese wrap is a very poor imitation of a carrot and chutney sandwich (available at M&S for £2.50). I would prefer a sandwich. It's not much to ask.

I agree that take up remains similar. I haven't seen anyone question the price increase.

Optimo

Used Weekend First upgrade Glasgow-Euston for the first time since the price hike today, and what was once a decent value upgrade is now really tough to justify.

The snack box is the same rubbish, and the cheese wrap thing was so-so.

Had one coffee so far in 90mins and the wifi is as patchy as it ever was.

There was no pre-departure announcement on the availability of the upgrade (or the price) which used to happen every time pre-hike. Perhaps they're embarrassed...

Lady behind me with two kids was shocked to be asked for £50, and queried it. Train manager said he'd had many complaints. A couple of people left and went back to standard.

Appreciate perhaps the price hasn't risen for a while, but for £25 I'd be looking for a much more frequent trolley service and better food. A soggy cheese wrap is a really weak improvement. And not to get kicked off the wifi every half hour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.