• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Weather Disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furrball

Seems that the WCML is now blocked again:

From Twitter

Landslips caused by heavy rainfall or floodwater have blocked the West Coast Main Line between Carlisle and Lancaster. @VirginTrains @FirstTPExpress are affected, and some trains are at a stand and unable to proceed due to the blockage.

From Network Rail

Flooding is causing disruption at Barnt Green.
Because of this, there are delays of up to 60 minutes between Birmingham New Street and Bromsgrove / Redditch. These delays will continue until further notice

Flooding is causing disruption at Rowley Regis.
Because of this, there are delays of up to 45 minutes between Rowley Regis and Stourbridge Junction. These delays will continue until further notice.

Some examples of the hail etc from Leicestershire

http://storify.com/thisisleics/storms-hit-leicester-and-leicestershire

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
ECML is now also blocked - all trains at a stand in the Berwick-upon-Tweed area because of flooding and a landslip.

And of course, 1 of the diversion routes around this would be via Carlisle - but maybe not as there is also flooding near Haltwhistle - looks like Scotland/North of England and the South/London are nearly cut off !!

Lampshade

Established Member
We've just had a very sharp shower in Blackburn, the road has morphed into a river :shock:

EDIT: And now thunder.

ushawk

Established Member
WoE line is now blocked between Yeovil and Exeter. 15.26 Exeter - Waterloo service has hit a tree on the line between Crewkerne and Yeovil - all lines blocked.

Markos72

My brother is on his way back from Newcastle after a hossie appointment(long story) and tells me the A69 is horrendous

WestCoast

Established Member
We've just had a very sharp shower in Blackburn, the road has morphed into a river :shock:

EDIT: And now thunder.

Strange, it's very pleasant indeed 25 miles west on the Fylde Coast/Blackpool. After being very dark earlier, there's not a cloud in the sky at the moment. Higher ground I suppose.

I've got to head to East Lancs tonight as well...:-x

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
There was a very heavy downpour in the Oldham area just before lunch (I just got back inside before it started thankfully!) - nothing since, but I suspect it is working its way around the country....again!

Furrball

Latest from East Coast

No services travelling north of NCL - likely for rest of the day

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Massive hailstorm earlier today. Several areas are flooded around where I am but at least the sun's back out and it is much warmer than before the hailstorm arrived.

ushawk

Established Member
Limited replacement buses between NCL and EDB has been withdrawn because of flooding on the A1 - trains may start/terminate now at Durham.

ushawk

Established Member
AwfavP4CQAAWBYA.jpg

Picture of another landslide - this one is at Tebay

valenta

Absolute chaos in Newcastle at the moment. Many roads closed and not much movement on the ECML or T+W metro. The advice for the metro is only to travel if absolutely necessary. Getting darker once again - couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Ascot

Established Member
I'm glad I flew home from Edinburgh instead of hopping on the train today. :o

Now sunny in Birmingham although around 1pm it was tipping it down (apparently it was raining since early hours in the morning). The Central Belt wasn't too bad this morning but they did forecast a downpour later in the day.

All Line Rover

Established Member
The weather has been lovely in Manchester today. You wouldn't know what all the fuss is about. :lol:

class156

The weather has been pretty wet up here today, just what you need when you are picking up computer parts from the post office!

ushawk

Established Member
Replacement Buses between Lancaster and Carlisle have been withdrawn due to "poor road conditions". I now make that as all rail connections/replacement buses between Northern England and Scotland suspended.

sonic2009

Established Member
I wonder if the weather will move southwards towards the Midlands tonight/tomorrow morning.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

sprinterguy

Established Member
Now sunny in Birmingham although around 1pm it was tipping it down (apparently it was raining since early hours in the morning
Nope, it was bright and sunny until after I was on my way out of Birmingham on the 07:30 to Euston this morning. And then it's been lovely and bright all day in London, and then sunny again by the time I got back to Birmingham this evening. I don't know what everybody has been complaining about ;):lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder if the weather will move southwards towards the Midlands tonight/tomorrow morning.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
The general trend in the UK is for weather fronts to come up from the South West and move North East across the country due to our prevailing winds. The lightning detector site suggests that this is the case for this storm, too.
T+W metro is completely suspended in all directions.
I'm not surprised, I've seen a photo of West Jesmond Metro station flooded out!

It's astounding just how hard northern England has been hit by these storms, with not only all the trains suspended, but the replacement buses unable to get through, too :shock:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-18564339

2nd picture along is of the WCML, showing why the line is closed.
It looks like that's the same section of line opposite Carlisle castle, to the north of the station, that took a hammering during the flooding at the start of the week. I should imagine that's going to take some time to repair :s

David Goddard

Established Member
We were in West Wales today and experienced a mixture of heavy mist (Milford Haven) to bright sunshine (Cardiff).
Hoping that the North will open up again by Sunday as thats when we head to Scotland in week two of our All Line Rover.

Status
Not open for further replies.