• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New website layout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Gricer

I like it. Clean and easy to navigate. There are some excellent shots on there as well, I particularly like your scenic shots such as Wylam, Mallerstang Common and Ais Gill.
The only minor point I would mention (since you asked), and this is more of an observation than a critisism, is the way the pictures centre themselves on the screen while the header and footer stays on the left. Only really noticable when viewing smaller pictures (like the Garsdale ones) at full screen at larger resolutions.

Frank

Guinness

Established Member
I agree with Frank, a stylish simple design with none of that stooopid flash intros that some sites have. :)

Craig

Established Member
Thanks for the comments :D
I'll be going through my older photos (getting rid of the crap) and uploading those too, as and when I can be arsed.

dvn1357 said:
Nice, but i muh prefer your old layout.
I liked the old layout too, but this one is a bit more flexable, especially for different screen resolutions.

The Gricer said:
The only minor point I would mention (since you asked), and this is more of an observation than a critisism, is the way the pictures centre themselves on the screen while the header and footer stays on the left.
Are you using Internet Explorer? I've only looked at it properly in Firefox, I'd forgotton IE requires slightly different CSS code. I'll have a play and see if I can sort that out now.

The Gricer

Craig said:
Are you using Internet Explorer? I've only looked at it properly in Firefox, I'd forgotton IE requires slightly different CSS code. I'll have a play and see if I can sort that out now.
My browser of choice at the moment is Internet Explorer although I do use Firefox and occasionally Opera as the fancy takes me, mainly for checking my own site although, yes, I was using IE7 when I looked at your site. It can be a right pain trying to make a site look the same in different browsers. I know from when I started the-siding that even when following all the rules such as using Doctype declarations to put the browser in the correct mode, and validating the XHTML and CSS, the differences in rendering can be surprising. In my experience Opera is about the most compliant, with tweeks to the style sheets being needed to make Firefox and IE look more or less the same as Opera. The hardest thing was to make the site look reasonable in IE5 (which going by the site stats, a surprising number of people were/are still using). Inheritance in tables was a big problem with IE5 and, before a fair bit of messing about, tables and everything in them appeared wrongly aligned. Still I guess sorting these problems are half the fun of it.

Frank

p.s. On this subject, I know IE7 is only a beta at the moment but anyone who has it installed might like to look at the South West Trains or First Great Western sites and compare with another browser. Someone, somewhere has got it very wrong!

ChrisM

Craig said:
I've just uploaded a new layout for my website. There's still a few bits that I need to tidy up, but I think it's all working.

http://www.craigallan.org/rail/

Comments or suggestions for improvements would be appreciated.
I like it and find it easy to navigate but don't like the logos/pictures at the top,just my personal taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.