• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New X10 service Barnsley to Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-2739

Established Member
Just found out today that Stagecoach are operating a new limited express service Barnsley to Leeds, using buses fitted with Wi-Fi and Leather seats. Got a few questions:

1) What model buses are they using?

2) Is this the best idea? Arriva operated the 444 Leeds to Barnsley about 10 years ago, but they got rid of it due to competition from the rails.

Cheers,
Jono

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

woodhouse122

They are using ex National express Plaxton elite coaches,you cant really compare the service with the 444 as the X10 service will after Kexbrough will be non stop via the M1 rather like the old X32 (will be a nightmare journey during peak times though ;) )

J-2739

Established Member
They are using ex National express Plaxton elite coaches,you cant really compare the service with the 444 as the X10 service will after Kexbrough will be non stop via the M1 rather like the old X32 (will be a nightmare journey during peak times though ;) )

Ah right then.

Wonder what job they would do for the Elites to get them to Stagecoach standard...

Cheers!

1 bus per hour compared to nearly 4 trains per hour; wonder who will win! :D

marcouk2

They're offering free journeys for the first week of operation, 28th Oct - 3rd November.

A bit cheaper than the train and the late night Friday/Saturday runs might get some interest as well.

tbtc

Veteran Member
1 bus per hour compared to nearly 4 trains per hour; wonder who will win! :D

When you say "nearly four trains per hour", you presumably mean three trains per hour?

One of which takes fifty minutes (i.e. comparable to the time that the X10 takes)?

The X10 looks to serve a different market to the train - there's stops in suburban Barnsley plus a stop "south of the river" in Leeds - there's presumably free Pensioner travel (compared to the trains which now - shock horror - charge pensioners money - even the "freedom riders" of Barnsley :lol:)

I reckon there's maybe a market for both to succeed. Stagecoach are using written-down ex-National Express coaches, so I'd guess lower overheads.

Credit to Stagecoach for trying some new longer distance around Barnsley services - the half hourly X65 started running from Barnsley to Meadowhall in the summer (the half hourly bus from Barnsley to Sheffield was upgraded last month, becoming the "2" instead of the long established "265") - they run commercial nigh buses in Barnsley (which is more than First manage in "big city" Sheffield) - Stagecoach aren't just complacently trimming the operation each year without showing any innovation. I'm not suggesting the Grimethorpe services will be going "Gold" any time soon, but they are trying to expand what they inherited from Yorkshire Traction.

marcouk2

I have to agree that Stagecoach do seem to be looking to improve. I took a couple of X65 trips over the summer, wasn't that busy whenever I used but they allow Barnsley Day/megarider Plus to be valid on the X65 the entirety of the route so should encourage traffic that way. I will try and give the X10 a go as well when it starts.

Plus the two services give a decent alternative for travel between Barnsley & Leeds/Sheffield the next time Northern go on strike.

darloscott

I'm currently on it now, but instead of a coach, they put a manky ass transit bus on it... :frown:

I understand they’ve been rather busy so to ensure space for everyone they’ve swapped the coaches for deckers. Inevitable when it is running for free in the first week! Good that they had a backup plan in place though.

J-2739

Established Member
I understand they’ve been rather busy so to ensure space for everyone they’ve swapped the coaches for deckers. Inevitable when it is running for free in the first week! Good that they had a backup plan in place though.

True, I guess!

The return journey was a coach, but the Wi-Fi wasn't working. There was a toilet though and the coach arrived on time! :D

J-2739

Established Member
Just wanna add at the 16:00 bus (the one I took), there was two people who were taking pictures of the freshly painted Plaxton. I wonder if they are members of this forum...?

Mwanesh

The coaches are from Chesterfield depot .They have just had new levantes delivered.There is 53714-16 in use if it becomes a success they may get new big tri axle elites.

83G/84D

Established Member
Stopped at Barnsley for a couple of hours on my way back to Cornwall from Bradford. No sign of any coaches on any X10 services.

woodhouse122

I haven't seen the coaches in ages so I wonder if they've dropped the service...?
still running,but the coaches are off the road, E200s.E300s,E400s,E200MMCs and E400MMCs have been standing in, last sunday i did the service to leeds and back and got a Line 66 E400MMC on the return to barnsley

marcouk2

x10 liveried coach waiting at Barnsley bus station this morning presumably for the 0740 departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.