• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New year travel confusion - Victoria line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiyero

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I am getting confused. On new Years day I am travelling to London with family then swapping them for friends on the 2nd before travelling to Disneyland on the 3rd. Complicated enough already!
We are staying in Walthamstow as the hotel is right next to the station and on the Victoria Line. I checked and there are no announced closures on any of the days. The problem is I cannot get the journey planner to let me on that route at all so I am confused. It always takes me on other lines with connections.
Also possibly connected when my friends were arriving they planned to get dropped off at Richmond and get the district line in but the journey planner won't take them through Earls Court even though I thought only the Earls Court - Kensington Part was closed (on 2/1)

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
New Year's Day:
Victoria Line
Special service.
2½ minute service central area until 02.30. 5 minute central area service until 04.30. 10 minute central area service after 04.30. From 10.45: 3¼-3½ minute central area service (4 min before 13.00).

District Line
Reduced 5 minute central area service 02.30 – 04.30
During the skeleton operating period, 04.30-10.30, services operate as follows:-
20min - Richmond – Upminster;
20 min - Ealing Broadway – High Street Kensington;
20min - Wimbledon – Edgware Road.
Before 11.00, services operate every 20 minutes between Richmond and Upminster, between Wimbledon and Edgware Road and between Ealing Broadway and High Street Kensington. From 11.00 a modified Sunday service will operate with a reduced 4 minute central area service and a 5-10 minute interval service between Earl's Court and Wimbledon.
No service between Earl's Court and Kensington (Olympia)

Monday 2 January
Victoria Line
A modified Saturday service will operate with first and last trains at weekday times.
District Line
No service between Kensington (Olympia and Earl's Court.

Last edited:

IanD

Established Member
I've recently had trouble getting the journey planner to work properly for some journeys involving overground/Victoria line.

If you edit the preferences for Richmond to Walthamstow Central to only use the tube it gives the obvious route of District to Victoria then Victoria to Walthamstow - so both lines are obviously up and running on 02/01. However, without restricting the modes, it suggests Overground to Hackney Central then Overground from Hackney Downs - so the North London line is also up an running on 02/01.

Therefore, it should be possible to take the Overground from Richmond to Highbury and Islington then change to the Victoria line there. Touch the pink reader at H&I and you'll avoid the via zone 1 fare if using Oyster.

Fiyero

Thank you both

If you edit the preferences for Richmond to Walthamstow Central to only use the tube it gives the obvious route of District to Victoria then Victoria to Walthamstow - so both lines are obviously up and running on 02/01.
It did for me but not until first service on 3rd Jan, even though I was asking for 9am on the 2nd.

duncanp

Established Member
The TfL journey planner is notoriously bad for giving people odd routes.

Rest assured that there is a normal service operating on the Victoria Line throughout your stay, and also on the Overground from Walthamstow to Liverpool Street.

The District Line is also operating normally, apart from Olympia - Earls Court which is closed.

You can get from Walthamstow to Richmond avoiding Central London by taking the Victoria Line to Highbury and Islington, and then London Overground to Richmond.

Fiyero

The TfL journey planner is notoriously bad for giving people odd routes.

Rest assured that there is a normal service operating on the Victoria Line throughout your stay, and also on the Overground from Walthamstow to Liverpool Street.

The District Line is also operating normally, apart from Olympia - Earls Court which is closed.

You can get from Walthamstow to Richmond avoiding Central London by taking the Victoria Line to Highbury and Islington, and then London Overground to Richmond.

Thank you. I am not making the journey Richmond to Walthamstow my friends are and I know they will trigger the cap anyway so may not be fussed about avoiding zone one but will let them know :D

Be3G

Established Member
This confused me yesterday when doing a journey plan – TfL's planner refused to acknowledge that the Victoria line was operational. My guess is that someone forgot to load in the special bank holiday service timetable so it defaulted to thinking the line wasn't running at all.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I agree the TFL journey planner is becoming useless due to the number of errors. Seems to always suggest a ridiculous TFL route when a national rail alternative is quicker. Frequently wrong on LO during engineering works and most recently the tram times from Beckenham Junction on the last bank hol were wrong

leytongabriel

Absolutely - TFL journey planner will contradict information elsewhere leaving you completely at a loss as to what to believe. Needs a serious overhaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.