• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Years Day services

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Dyke

Established Member
Why do TOCs differ in their provision of service on this day? For example EMT are running a normal service on local routes, apart from some alterations / engineering affected services - e.g. first train from Lincoln to Nottingham @ 05:26. EMT services to / from London are subject a slightly later start and / or alterations.

However East Coast Trains aren't commencing services from Kings Cross until 09:00. So pity anyone who arrived at Newark Northgate from Lincoln on the first train (a.05:55) only to find the first East Coast train to any destination isn't until 10:16.

How is it with TOCs where you live / work?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Judging by my amended diagram this afternoon, FGW are offering a willy-nilly type of service today rather than a full Wednesday service.

mlambeuk

Northern are running a near normal weekday service in Yorkshire and North west, but Nothing in North East.

tractakid

Merseyrail largely running at half frequency. Half hour wait in the cold today from Brunswick when I missed the train I was hoping to get.

(I was being optimistic, but missing that train meant I missed the chance for a beautiful 4 change itinerary utilising two infrequent services! Brunswick-Liverpool Central-Bidston-Shotton-Llandudno Junction-Llandudno (ex Blaenau Ffestiniog train) with a max of a 12 minute wait)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
As usual, no trains Cardiff Valleys although everywhere else on ATW. This is historical going back to pre privatisation when few travelled and carried forward into former Cardiff Valleys TOC thence into current ATW franchise. Nearly 5 more years to run yet !!! ATW will not do anything because it is not a franchise requirement to operate a service. New routes have come on stream during this time, i.e. Ebbw Vale and Vale of Glamorgan and they have a train service, this meaning that Grangetown, Cadoxton, Barry Dock and Barry have a service. The farce is that the Rhymney line and Ebbw Vale line run almost parallel to each other with a mountain in between and the one route has a service and the other doesn't. A typical case of the franchising process coming before passengers needs.
Additionally, I believe the valley guards are not contracted to work New Years Day although I have seen mention on a Union Website re negotiations having taken place in the Autumn to amend. Hopefully trains next year.

455driver

Veteran Member
Spent most of today carrying fresh air around, very quiet on the trains.

Established Member
LM appeared to be running a version of a Sunday timetable yesterday, waste of space trying to go north at 06:00 in the morning but better (for me at any rate) than the normal weekday timetable going back south in the evening.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I was one of the only four passengers in the middle coach of the rear set of the 1546 into Edinburgh yesterday, and two people only boarded at Lockerbie. When we arrived at Edinburgh, there were hoards of people already waiting for the return working to Manchester. As soon as the doors were released, the battle was promptly started, which concentrated around the (soon to be) rear two coaches.

As I walked down the platform, I shouted at the crowd that there were plenty of seats towards the front of the train as this is a six-car train, and pointed towards Musselburgh direction. Then some clever dick in the crowd went, "The front is that way." and pointed towards Haymarket direction. "No, it isn't." is the reply he got from me. I imagine plenty of them will be confused once the train departs, especially those who chose a seat facing a certain way deliberately.

bicbasher

Established Member
A Sunday service on Southern and a late start Saturday timetable on London Overground.

A rarity was being able to board a West Croydon ELL service at Surrey Quays yesterday afternoon which wasn't busy!

Status
Not open for further replies.