In order to update the forum software, this afternoon from 13.00 some members may find that for short periods the forum is unavailable. Please ensure that you have made any posts before this time as any unsent messages may be lost.

New yorkshire power stations

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by YorkshireBear, 31 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. 142094

142094 Established Member

Depends on the location - the Ferrybridge one might be on the land at the same site as the one now - not sure for the Donny one.

I do know that Drax were wanting to build one next to the existing power station, but haven't heard much about this in a while.

Think the article mentions that one is gas-powered, so that wuldn't be transported by rail.

4. balne-wonderer

balne-wonderer Member

The Thorpe Marsh station is re-opening then??? Or is this a completley new project?

The exisiting station was shut down around 94, all that remain are the cooling towers but they looked in poor condition the last time I drove past them.

The old station had rail access with the line joining the ECML at the Joan Croft Junction, a popular place for spotters.

5. WatcherZero

WatcherZero Established Member

Doncaster one is a gas power station, thats unlikely to be rail.
    Wakefield one is biomass/wood burning so may see some rail supply, depends on the scale and source (i.e. if its local waste it will probably be road).

6. route:oxford

route:oxford On Moderation

Could this mean that it is also capable of burning coal should the country every be require to make use of the centuries worth of black stuff underground?

7. trainfanatic

trainfanatic Member

The exisiting station was shut down around 94, all that remain are the cooling towers but they looked in poor condition the last time I drove past them.

Cooling towers are still there to maintain the original planning permissions in terms of height.

Willington near Derby was the same, but I believe there is a new station on that site now?

8. 142094

The process is just about the same - the biomass is pelletised on site and then can be crushed further if needed and blown into the furnace. Same happens with coal. The only problem being that there may be a need to add extra parts such as FGD which may not be needed if it was solely biomass-fuelled.

9. Nym

Nym Established Member

And if it's a lot of FGD then being served by rail for limestone in and gypsum out would be quite helpful...

10. DaveNewcastle

DaveNewcastle Established Member Fares Advisor

This junction and its adjoining Shaftholme Jn. is due to be remodelled soon by the addition of a two-track flyover so that freight to & from Thorpe Marsh (and the Humber ports beyond) can cross the ECML towards Ferrybridge without conflicts.

11. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

The situation at Willington is still the same: The cooling towers still remain as the only thing standing, the rest of the site is just waste ground.

12. brad465

brad465 Member

Whenever I've been on the ECML around the area full of power stations, I already think there are loads there already. Based on where they're being built there's a good chance the range for seeing power stations in the ECML area will increase. :|

13. balne-wonderer

balne-wonderer Member

Drax and Eggborough power stations would be visible from the ECML in Yorkshire, I’m not sure Ferrybridge would be though.

On the subject of the cooling towers at Thorpe Marsh, I believe that one of the reasons they haven’t been demolished was due to fears that a huge explosion would create damage to a nearby weak river bank. The area around Thorpe Marsh has excellent rail and water links, like I said though, it depends on the actual location of the new station.

14. DaveNewcastle

DaveNewcastle Established Member Fares Advisor

You can, between Hambleton and the bridge under the A19, its cooling towers stand above the horizon near the crossing of the Selby Canal.

15. balne-wonderer

balne-wonderer Member

Ah there we go! Living in Yorkshire when I use the ECML it's usually from Doncaster going south or out of Leeds going north joining the ECML at York. The ECML stretch between Donny and York I don't think i've ever been on despite living near it for 26 years! madness.

16. brianthegiant

brianthegiant Member

My understanding is that Coal is basically out of the running for new generating capacity. The ighj carbon emissions per kWh mean that we wont build coal unless it has CCS, (which is an unproven and v.expensive technology).

So at the moment its another dash for (Russian) gas, with a bit of wind & biomass, whilst we inch along the ~10 year Nuclear project cycle.

You can co-fire 10 maybe 20% biomass in a coal fired plant, but not vice versa, for example since a biomass plant isn't built with the complex emission controls (SO2 removal etc) you get in a coal plant. Also the gasification/pyrolysis reactions in burning coal and wood, are significantly different, so that a burner optimised for coal is not efficient for wood & vice versa, different secondary combustion levels.

17. 142094

You can co-fire a coal power station with biomass much higher than 20% - Drax are currently on about 30% and were aiming for near enough 50:50 when I visited earlier in the year.

18. brianthegiant

brianthegiant Member

ah, ok, the 20% figure is what you can do in existing coal stations without major changes to the burner. If Drax are aiming for 50% they must have made some changes.

19. 142094

They were in the middle of a continuous process in trying to move further towards biomass when I was there, they were even considering growing some plants on site for a trial period. Plus they've just invested in a new warehouse near Goole for incoming foreign biomass.

20. Penske666

Penske666 Member

Just to clarigy the Thorpe Marsh situation, its going to be a gas fired power station, the sidings are going to be used to transport materials to the new North Doncaster Chord freight avoiding line and the cooling towers are going to be demolished soon.

The new line will also mean the end of Joan Croft level crossing as the road will have a new flyover built north of the present road. :)

21. balne-wonderer

balne-wonderer Member

Is it confirmed now that they are closing JC level crossing?

I know it was in consultation but wasn't sure it had been decided.

22. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

well the plans they are to/have submitted to planning department have it as a road bridge not level crossings. They chose this as local residents wanted it plus it allowed them to lower the wires through this section (not having to make allowances for HGVs) so the chord is now lower and less expensive.

23. balne-wonderer

balne-wonderer Member

I often spot at JC level crossing. This is a bit of a disaster personally speaking but I guess we can't stand in the way of progress!

Back to Balne Lowgate and Hensall Quarry for spotting I think!

24. Penske666

Penske666 Member

Don't let that stop you from going up to the Joan Croft area, theres a footpath just south of the old freight overpass that crosses the ECML called Marselles (or something like that). Theres also Dormer Green if you don't mind the walk :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.