• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Zealand Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

In a couple of days I am going out to NZ for a couple of weeks, during which I plan to do a bit of bashing. I will be staying in the Auckland area on the North island.

I know almost nothing about the railways in NZ apart from the fact that there are some ex BR MK2 coaches out there. can anyone suggest some interesting routes or tell me anything I need to know about the railways while I'm there.

thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T163R

Lucky you :D
I'm born in Paris, but my mother comes from New Zealand, and I've been to Auckland several times :D

Everything is diesel other there, but the first phase of electrification is nearly finished (~2013).
Try Eastern Line (yellow), there is very nice sceneries on the Orakei bassin. The Eastern Line joins the Southern Line for the rest of the line.
Try also the Western Line, nice loco-hauled trains (gotta love the sound of the diesel locos :D).
For the southern part of Auckland, it's not very very nice, it's an industrial area :p

flymo

Established Member
I was in NZ in 2007 and spent 4 days in Auckland. Wish I had done a bit of bashing there but never had the time unfortunately.

There is some info on the train network and the passes etc available here at Maxx.

The Overlander runs between Auckland and Wellington if you are feeling adventurous. The interior of NZ is stunning and would thoroughly recommend a trip inland if time and finances permit.

Enjoy a fantastic trip. We need photos mind.......:lol::lol:

* note to self - must save up to go back there again.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Apart from the Auckland and Wellington commuter services, there are not many passenger trains in New Zealand.

As has been mentioned, the Overlander runs from Auckland to Wellington and v.v., and on South Isalnd there are services from Picton to Christchurch and Christchurch to Greymouth. Or at least there used to be, when I was there!

There are some small, private railways too. Ther eis a very interesting one near Coromandel, IIRC, one of the members has a picture of it as their avatar.

Clip

Established Member
Apart from the Auckland and Wellington commuter services, there are not many passenger trains in New Zealand.

As has been mentioned, the Overlander runs from Auckland to Wellington and v.v., and on South Isalnd there are services from Picton to Christchurch and Christchurch to Greymouth. Or at least there used to be, when I was there!

There are some small, private railways too. Ther eis a very interesting one near Coromandel, IIRC, one of the members has a picture of it as their avatar.

yeh thats me.. one of the best things ive ever seen and had the pleasure to ride on in my life.. :lol:

http://www.drivingcreekrailway.co.nz/Introduction.cfm

Even if you dont have long there try and do part of the overlander where it goes round the spiral then wait for the up back to Auckland if thats possible..

Also these do trips to/from auckland sometimes but doesnt look like anything is on when your there.. http://www.steaminc.org.nz/ but email them as im sure there's another company that does trips but cant remember the name of them.. Also there is a very unused freight line that stretches out north of Auckland which has some tours on it over the year but again im sorry i cant remember the name of the company..

Railjet

I took the Overlander in 2007 - an enjoyable experience, but not one I'd be rushing back to do. The train was full and is not long, so there's little space to move about in: can be uncomfortable if you don't warm to the fellow travellers closest to you. It's a long journey - about 11 or 12 hours I seem to remember.

The scenery is, of course, stupendous, and there is an observation bit at the end of the train which you can go and sit in (on a rotation basis). When I was on it, some Australians overstayed their welcome and a prissy English madam (think Hyacinth Bucket) went and complained to the conductor.

The highlight for me, however, was taking the boat through the Cook Strait and across the sounds from Wellington to Picton on the South Island. The experience of travelling on a large-ish, somewhat ungainly ex-English Channel ferry, nimbly manouevring between the inlets and islands on a glorious day with the backdrop of an incredible panorama, is not to be missed.

Clip

Established Member
I took the Overlander in 2007 - an enjoyable experience, but not one I'd be rushing back to do. The train was full and is not long, so there's little space to move about in: can be uncomfortable if you don't warm to the fellow travellers closest to you. It's a long journey - about 11 or 12 hours I seem to remember.

The scenery is, of course, stupendous, and there is an observation bit at the end of the train which you can go and sit in (on a rotation basis). When I was on it, some Australians overstayed their welcome and a prissy English madam (think Hyacinth Bucket) went and complained to the conductor.

The highlight for me, however, was taking the boat through the Cook Strait and across the sounds from Wellington to Picton on the South Island. The experience of travelling on a large-ish, somewhat ungainly ex-English Channel ferry, nimbly manouevring between the inlets and islands on a glorious day with the backdrop of an incredible panorama, is not to be missed.

The tranzalpine has a massive cattle truck observation coach at the end not just a veiwing area so can fit quite a few in there - shame i didnt do that when it was snowing but the views are still stunning and the history of the tunnel and how it works is quite fantastic. Obviously the long distance trains are for tourists so they give you a nice commentary too of the history of the line and where your going through.. Its such a shame that they dont run the trains all the way down to invercargill anymore though

That ferry crossing is quite pleasant and again - stunning scenery coming in to picton - but try not to do it when its rough, christ it hurts! :lol:

Established Member
My 2 week trip was Auckland-Wellington-boat-Picton-Christchurch-Greymouth&back-Christchurch-bus to Dunedin-bus to Queenstown-Flight to Auckland. Took in the North Islands's Overlander, the interislander ferry, and the south islands TranzCoastal and TranzAlpine trains - they do a ticket for 7 days on all three trains and one free trip on the boat.

If you want to see where out BR MK2s ended up, some of the services leaving Aucklands Britomart station have them, about one every 30 minutes, they are barely recognisable as the end doors were panelled over and new doors cut 1/3 and 2/3s the way along the coach. Heading south, in Wellington, theres a load on the Capital Connection commuter train in light blue or you may also see some gleaming black and gree MK2s decked out beautifully on the Waitapara Express up to Masterton.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_4QiJSCYWI&feature=related

Clip

Established Member
yeh they look very smart in black and green.

Forgot to mention Goldfields railway over in Waihi..

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41934

goes through some lovely countryside.. And shame your not driving as if you carry on further north from there you can see where the line carries on on the other side of the valley but was all taken up.. all the old bridges are still in place too

Went to NZ in November 2009. Used local trains in Auckland incl the MK2 stock. Plus the TranzCoastal service between Picton and Christchurch and the TranzAlpine over the mountains to Christchurch. And to finish things off, the Taeriei Gorge railway into Dunedin. All very enjoyable.

You'll find my whole NZ travel experience on my YouTube channel: shinkansen1966.

Status
Not open for further replies.