Newark Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikestone1952

Does anyone know when the booking office opened. Nothing seems to have been published by EMT but raileasy gives opening hours.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Does anyone know when the booking office opened. Nothing seems to have been published by EMT but raileasy gives opening hours.
It was either just opened or just about to open when I passed there at the start of May - the paint was barely dry either way.

I caught a train from there on the 9th May and I didn't notice a booking office, got my ticket from the platform machine as usual......

mikestone1952

The booking office is the Nottingham end of the building, franchised to Tanzo passenger services, http://www.tpsbus.com/
who otherwise operate bus station enquiry offices.
;
Two odd features are a 20p entry unisex toilet which has a machine on the wall some way from the door, which refunds your money if it's engaged, and it has no literature racks, leaflets lying on the windowsills.
;
The rest of the building is still to let if anyone fancies opening a cafe. It seems slightly odd that they chose to restore it as separate facilities rather than a combined shop/cafe/booking office as the fact the last tenant reportedly just locked up and posted the keys through the letterbox isn't likely to encourage someone else to open a cafe or similar.

LowLevel

Established Member
Don't ask for anything complicated or out of the ordinary either at the booking office. Staff aren't trained over the same timescale or to the same standard, it appears, as TOC staff (and nor are they paid as well). That's according to them anyway. They also run Mansfield which hardly gets glowing feedback.

Oakham is also now subcontracted to the folks who run a booking office out west (Ludlow?) and to be fair seems to be fine.

mikestone1952

Their website refers to Mansfield bus station - do they staff the railway station too?
;
I am surprised they have got away with transferring an existing booking office.

Mugby

Established Member
What Newark Castle desperately needs is a canopy on the Nottingham platform.

Nothing too fancy, shouldn't be beyond expectation!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
What Newark Castle desperately needs is a canopy on the Nottingham platform.

Nothing too fancy, shouldn't be beyond expectation!

It had one until 10-15 years ago, but it was pretty desultory. I think it was removed when they previously re-vamped the station for the wine bar thing to move in. Probably on heritage grounds though it was probably about to collapse anyway.

The Nottingham platform does have what by bus shelter standards is a fairly decent bus shelter.

Gavioliuk

Their website refers to Mansfield bus station - do they staff the railway station too?
;
I am surprised they have got away with transferring an existing booking office.

Gives the old address for the Mansfield bus station. The website does not appear to have been updated since March 2013.

A new bus station was opened adjacent to the railway station about three years ago. National Express have been promoting the travel facilities they offer at their office within the bus station.

The booking office at the railway station is still open, and recently extended its opening hours.

Gavioliuk

Status
Not open for further replies.