• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newark North Gate or Newark Northgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDYS

Just a simple question. I went to Newark for the first time last week and now sorting my photos for Flickr. One question, how is the station name supposed to be written? Signs on the station say Newark Northgate but timetables / maps etc say Newark North Gate.

Thanks in advance, Andy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
According to Street map the road in Newark is North Gate.

But the Station is on Lincoln Street/Appleton Gate....

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Signage at the station seems to be predominantly "Newark Northgate".

Not the first time though that the railway has tweaked a station name / locality name for its own purposes. ;)

Ken H

On Moderation
This roadsign, presumably erected by the council, has 'Northgate Station'

(Link to google streetview of roadsign on Lincoln Road Bridge)

But this street sign says 'North Gate'
(Google streetview of sign saying 'North Gate')

YorksLad12

Established Member
Signage at the station seems to be predominantly "Newark Northgate".

Not the first time though that the railway has tweaked a station name / locality name for its own purposes. ;)

I'd go with Newark North Gate as well; it probably depends on how quickly the person replied when the signwriter asked for the name! You have reminded me, however, of one local station that said Crossgates on one platform and Cross Gates on the other...

pdeaves

Established Member
Situations like North Gate/Northgate and Cross Gates/Crossgates make an interesting discussion over what constitutes the 'official' name and whether such a thing even exists.

mailbyrail

Gate is the Viking word for Street and many towns in the East Midlands have roads called xxx Gate
Newark has a main road heading towards the station called North Gate which is effectively North Road.
The station didn't acquire the suffix until 1950 - the 1956 Stations handbook shows it as two words.

That indicates North Gate is two separate words

mailbyrail

But the 1956 Stations handbook shows it as two words as well - Friar Gate

But Gloucester, not in a Viking area, was always one word Eastgate

A fascinating little question from ANDYS!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Gate is the Viking word for Street and many towns in the East Midlands have roads called xxx Gate
Newark has a main road heading towards the station called North Gate which is effectively North Road.
Strangely enough Newark also has the Great North Road, which is much closer to going north than North Gate is. It goes across the level crossing at Castle station.

LowLevel

Established Member
I don't think anything confirms anything as you'll always find one source contradicting another with this one - it's an age old thing :oops: :lol:

Ken H

On Moderation
The station didn't acquire the suffix until 1950 - the 1956 Stations handbook shows it as two words.

That indicates North Gate is two separate words

Ah. so when the railways were nationalised towns with 2 stations had suffixes added to differentiate?

I assume Newark stations were Newark (LM) and Newark(LNER) before?

SargeNpton

Established Member
The official name is Newark North Gate, but that's not to say that you won't find the alternative used in some rail industry places (in one instance I have seen both used on the same web page).

LowLevel

Established Member
Ah. so when the railways were nationalised towns with 2 stations had suffixes added to differentiate?

I assume Newark stations were Newark (LM) and Newark(LNER) before?

They would have been referred to as Newark LMS or Midland station or Newark LNER or GNR station externally. Newark Castle signalbox (now closed) to this day still has "NEWARK" on it's name board without further suffix despite having been officially called Newark Castle signalbox for many years.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
This November 2007 pic has both variants next to one another...

Southbound_Newark_Northgate_railway_station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_624094.jpg

BrettSy96

Just a simple question. I went to Newark for the first time last week and now sorting my photos for Flickr. One question, how is the station name supposed to be written? Signs on the station say Newark Northgate but timetables / maps etc say Newark North Gate.

Thanks in advance, Andy
Are they okay there with spotters? Been thinking about going to station on the ECML but It’s abit of a journey to get there to find out that they don’t allow spotters:lol:

Crossover

Established Member
Are they okay there with spotters? Been thinking about going to station on the ECML but It’s abit of a journey to get there to find out that they don’t allow spotters:lol:

From previous visits (to use the station, I should add), it is unbarriered so you'll presumably have no issue getting onto the platforms at least!

2L70

On Moderation
Let them know, they'll be fine, Just don't go anywhere that you could be a danger to yourself. They've had some nasty incidents with suicidal people there before.

Locals call Newark Castle station "Castlegate", which is confusing but it's actually a street near that station.

Established Member
From previous visits (to use the station, I should add), it is unbarriered so you'll presumably have no issue getting onto the platforms at least!

you’ll be fine, good group Of people work there.

Status
Not open for further replies.