• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newark Northgate - Tube Map?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’m currently on a down LNER to Edinburgh and we stopped at Newark northgate around an hour ago. I noticed when departing that there’s a fairly large poster with a tube map on it at the station. Does anyone know why this is there, given the station is well over 100 miles from London? It seems a bit like putting a Glasgow Subway or Edinburgh Trams map at somewhere like Penrith and I can’t think of a good reason why one would be there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
Well plenty of people will go there from Newark. No disrespect to the people of Newark but it doesn’t have a mass urban network of transport that could fill the space instead. I seem to remember reading on her once that you could top up or buy Oyster Cards at Edinburgh Waverley. Never ever got that verified mind haha

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It's entirely possible that London is the most common destination for passengers typically waiting for trains at Newark.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Until last October, at least, people from Lincoln often spent a lot of time hanging around at Newark due to the poor connections there (and LNER's (and its predecessors') lackadaisical attitude to honouring even those). They might as well use the time to plan their onward travel should they ever get to Kings Cross.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Until last October, at least, people from Lincoln often spent a lot of time hanging around at Newark due to the poor connections there (and LNER's (and its predecessors') lackadaisical attitude to honouring even those). They might as well use the time to plan their onward travel should they ever get to Kings Cross.
Particularly if they didnt fancy the walk to Newark Castle!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Perhaps they should add a Night Tube map in case the train is really late? :D

alangla

Well plenty of people will go there from Newark. No disrespect to the people of Newark but it doesn’t have a mass urban network of transport that could fill the space instead. I seem to remember reading on her once that you could top up or buy Oyster Cards at Edinburgh Waverley. Never ever got that verified mind haha
You can get out of boundary travelcard season tickets from Berwick upon Tweed
(Link to brfares.com showing prices)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is it a LU map or a London & South East rail services map?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There used to be both a tube map and a London Connections map in the old concourse at Wakefield Westgate, 200 miles away from The Cross.

WestRiding

Its a good idea. Helps people plan the hellish journey over London before arriving. All stations with services to London should have one.

MotCO

Established Member
Its a good idea. Helps people plan the hellish journey over London before arriving. All stations with services to London should have one.
...providing they are kept up to date. Who is responsible for doing so? I can't imagine TfL have roving poster-puter-uppers covering the length and breadth of the country.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I doubt anyone would remark about such notices somewhere like Southampton or Bournemouth, a similar time away from London, if not quite the distance...

AM9

Veteran Member
Isn't it true that (in normal times) about 2/3 of all national rail services start from or end at London?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Isn't it true that (in normal times) about 2/3 of all national rail services start from or end at London?
I'm not sure about services, but actual journeys:

Of the 1,520 Million passenger rail journeys made in 2018-19, 960 Million (63% - so just under the two thirds you quote) were from or to Greater London, and of this number 539 Million (35% of the national figure, 56% of the London figure) were wholly within London.

This doesn't include London Underground, which carried 1,384 Million customers on its network alone in the same period (although there are sections of the LU network that are not in Greater London).

Last edited:

londonteacher

To be honest a tube map or the rail connections one is a great idea for any station where people can travel to London.

In the future I can see it becoming more redundant because most people will just use an app like Citymapper to plan their journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.