• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newark Northgate - Wrong Trains Boarded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
At least the railways don't seem to have people joining the ticket office queue to show their prebooked tickets to the ticket clerk. When working at a concert venue I saw this as a regular feature of customer behaviour.

Probably because collecting at the box office using an online booking receipt is common practice.

I couldn’t remember today if I had to collect a ferry boarding pass using my train ticket for Wightlink, it turns out not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tspaul26

Established Member
In the 1980s when the North London Line trains from Watford ran through to Liverpool Street, they left from the bay on the opposite side of the platform from a WCML service to Liverpool Lime Street (next stop Runcorn). All shown on notices and indicators of course

Yes' people would get on the wrong one...

Rather like some of the fun at Norwich.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Rather like some of the fun at Norwich.

It has been a very long time since I was in that part of the world, but do the screens there still invert one of London Liverpool St or Liverpool Lime St to '[station name] [city]'?

westv

Established Member
Last Friday I was on the Hull service and the guard actually made an announcement that we were not the Edinburgh service so it must be something that happens regularly if the Hull train is running a bit late.

Friday's service (the one just gone) hasn't been the first VTEC Hull service I have been on which has had zero announcements - not even about the 10 minutes we arrived late.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Always quite amusing to see the chaos at Cambridge when a train arrives and splits with half continuing to Kings Lynn and the rest going to Kings Cross.

You’d think the average IQ is a city like Cambridge would be on the higher side but this doesn’t stop people becoming flustered and mixing up their Kings!

Master29

Established Member
Announcements at Newark Northgate are done by a human, not a 'digital doris'.

What difference does it make whether the voice is a digital Doris or a human. If people aren`t listening then it`s immaterial.

Master29

Established Member
Always quite amusing to see the chaos at Cambridge when a train arrives and splits with half continuing to Kings Lynn and the rest going to Kings Cross.

You’d think the average IQ is a city like Cambridge would be on the higher side but this doesn’t stop people becoming flustered and mixing up their Kings!

Indeed. You often get a similar situation down at Castle Cary when all so called brilliant minds from here and overseas seem clueless about train etiquette. i.e half empty carriages whilst standing in vestibules. Back packs the size of Gibraltar and being clueless about the ticket system, although I can`t always blame them for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.