• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newark to Inverness via Sleeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping that someone may be able to offer some advice on my options for the following journey.

I need to get from Newark to Inverness this Friday, but am unikely to get away from work until 1600, therefore missing the last train to get me there that night. I'm therefore looking at the possibility of the sleeper (probably seated). I then need to return on Sunday evening, ideally on the 1520 from Inverness changing at Edinburgh.

Does anyone have any ideas on best value ticketing and routing. The biggest issue I have at the moment is the expense caused by the non-standard routing outbound. Is there any way to buy a return that is valid using sleeper and none standard routing outbound and a 'normal' train and route on return.

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Would you be able to make the 1643 service from Newark North Gate to Edinburgh?.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Any preferences for getting to the sleeper?

You could either head to London, Crewe or Preston. Depends if you want track bashing or price as you primary objective.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Would you be able to make the 1643 service from Newark North Gate to Edinburgh?.

Wouldnt that still miss the last train north. Isn't it at 1935 IIRC

sonic2009

Established Member
Scrap the Megabus idea :).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The best way and cheapest way for you to catch the sleeper with a normal ticket would be to buy a :

Newark - Nottingham Anytime Day single £3.70

Nottingham - Inverness Any Permitted Off Peak Return £92.90 (8X)

Upon checking the permitted routes between Nottingham Group and Inverness the following maps would apply for the journey you wish to make via the sleeper :

PS + ZZ ( For the Preston & Crewe option)

Map PS allows : Nottingham - Sheffield - Stockport - Manchester Piccadilly - Bolton - Preston
Map ZZ allows : Preston - Carlisle - Edinburgh - Perth - Inverness

Map PS allows : Nottingham - Sheffield - Stockport - Crewe
Map ZZ allows : Crewe - Preston - Carlisle - Edinburgh - Perth - Inverness

You would have to obtain a sleeper reservation for the train, as all reservations are compulsory.

On your way back on the Sunday, you are permitted to stop short at Newark North Gate using the fact that there is no Break of Journey restriction on your ticket.

And also Inverness - Nottingham Group is valid via maps ER + DG which would allow :

Map ER allows : Inverness - Edinburgh - Newcastle - Doncaster - Newark
Map DG allows : Newark - Nottingham

Although you would be stopping short at Newark which is allowed.

Hope this information is of help to you.

Last edited:
I hadn't realised that a Nottingham - Inverness Off Peak Return would be valid on the sleeper.
Would this be routing via Crewe to pick up the sleeper?

sonic2009

Established Member
My computer crashed, writing this post on my phone. You would need to obtain a seated Sleeper Reservation from Preston to Inverness, will post actual routeing guide maps on which the ticket is allowed, when computer has rebooted.

Status
Not open for further replies.