• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newbie HS1 to Liverpool Street - help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ians12345

Hi, I am thinking of moving and commuting from Ashford on HS1 then from Stratford into Liverpool Street as I work in the City.
I tried this a while back when the bus was running between the Stratford stations and the ticket covered you through to Liverpool Street as the London terminus.

Would be very interested to hear peoples' experience and advice please on using this route today.

Ian

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyMarkD

Ashford International to London Terminals does NOT permit travel into Stratford International and then via Stratford London to Liverpool Street.

That is because the permitted mapped route (from Ashford International to Stratford International) is HS, and map HS takes you to Stratford International and then St Pancras, not Liverpool Street.

Having said that, it's a sensible enough route to get to the Liverpool Street area of the City and I travel this way from Chatham when I need to - it is quicker and easier than going to St Pancras and then getting the tube.

You would need a "Plus High Speed" travelcard to do it legitimately as there is no other way to travel on the Stratford-Liverpool Street leg of the journey.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I disagree.

As long as the ticket includes travel on HS1 then Liverpool Street is an acceptable destination. NXEA at Liverpool Street tried to say otherwise when the bus stopped and there were frantic senior managerial level phone calls between Southeastern and NXEA which resulted in agreement that the route is valid. You must walk through Westfield shopping centre rather than taking the DLR, unless you want to pay a single zone fare.

John @ home

Established Member
Would it be within 3 miles of the shortest route?
I think when we last debated this we came to the conclusion it is actually the shortest route to any London Terminal.

Ashford International to London Bridge
Shortest Route: 54.25 miles
  • Ashford International
  • Pluckley
  • Headcorn
  • Staplehurst
  • Marden (Kent)
  • Paddock Wood
  • Tonbridge
  • Sevenoaks
  • Orpington
  • London Bridge

Ashford International to London St Pancras International
Shortest Route: 56 miles
  • Ashford International
  • Ebbsfleet International
  • Stratford International
  • London St Pancras International

Ashford International to London Liverpool Street
Ashford International to Stratford International - Shortest Route: 50 miles
  • Ashford International
  • Ebbsfleet International
  • Stratford International
Stratford (London) to London Liverpool Street - Shortest Route: 4 miles
  • Stratford (London)
  • London Liverpool Street
Total 54 miles

MarkyMarkD

Thank you for working out the distances. I agree with your views that travelling to LST is within three miles of the shortest route to any London Terminal, and therefore it should be allowed.

It is helpful to know that NXEA and SER have agreed this point.

Another useful point to raise with certain staff at SFA who don't seem to like travel which involves walking from SFA to SRA!

district

On a separate note, if you would like to know exactly what Ashford is like to live in then please PM me.

ians12345

Thank you for the helpful responses. I would be interested to hear from anyone who currently makes the journey from HS1 to Liverpool Street.

Thanks
Ian

ps I am making the journey from Romney Marsh via Ashford so quite a trip :shock:

Thank you for the helpful responses. I would be interested to hear from anyone who currently makes the journey from HS1 to Liverpool Street.

Thanks
Ian

ps I am making the journey from Romney Marsh via Ashford so quite a trip :shock:

Ian,

I make a similar daily journey albeit from the Medway Towns and I have to say the experience is as painless as it gets. Always get a seat to Stratford, though 9/10 I have to stand between Stratford and Liverpool Street (understandable really).

The issue of whether or not the ticket is valid is the probable reason that they don't work the gates at Stratford main station, you have to be let through the side gate by staff.

Also worthy of note is that LUL is a parrallel valid route beween Stratford and Liverpool Street but they don't recognise the ticket as being valid! Can be tricky at weekends when Liverpool Street to Stratford is closed (like last and this coming weekend!).

PavlosA

Hi Ian. I've done the commute on HS1 to LST from Gravesend for six months with no issues. Inspector checks on the train into LST have always been fine. Ticket doesn't work at Stratford domestic but does at LST. Was good for me but moving offices next week...

Westfield annoying at Xmas if you're in a rush!

Don't forget to use the smaller exit by HSBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.