• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newbury to Docklands

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll be traveling from Newbury to an apartment near Mudchute in the Docklands on a weekday late afternoon with luggage, and I'd like to avoid the Tube if possible. Is there a National Rail routing that maybe goes from Newbury/Reading to south of London and comes up to Lewisham or Greenwich, where we could pick up the DLR? The Journey Planner wants to put us on the Tube for a half-hour between Paddington and Charing Cross. Thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
Is there a National Rail routing that maybe goes from Newbury/Reading to south of London and comes up to Lewisham or Greenwich, where we could pick up the DLR?
Try
  • Newbury - Reading
  • Reading - London Waterloo
  • Waterloo East - Lewisham or Greenwich
To get journey planners to display this, ask for Newbury - Lewisham or Greenwich via Staines.

What would be easier with luggage -- Lewisham National Rail to Lewisham DLR or Greenwich National Rail to Greenwich DLR? Thanks.

34D

Established Member
What would be easier with luggage -- Lewisham National Rail to Lewisham DLR or Greenwich National Rail to Greenwich DLR? Thanks.

I've done both in the past, and in both cases the platforms are not far at all. What I am not 100% sure about is whether the down NR platforms at both stations have level access or lifts - perhaps other members can advise?

island

Veteran Member
All platforms at Lewisham are accessible. There is a ramp to/from the down NR platform at Greenwich (and probably the up as well, but I've never used that).

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If going to Docklands then the easiest change is at Lewisham on a train heading to Hayes, Orpington or Sidcup line. This brings you into platform 2 which is in the middle and cuts out an extra set of lifts. You want to be at the back of the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.