• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newby Signaller...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewesTom

Hi all,

I'm delighted to say that I've been offered a position as a signaller at the Crawley ROC. It's a bit of a step change for me career-wise and I was just wondering if any of you experienced lads and a lasses might have any tips/good to know bits and pieces etc.?

I know I'm starting signalling school at the end of July at either Basingstoke or York. Should I be keeping my fingers crossed for one or the other particularly? Really looking forward to getting cracking with it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRain87

Hi all,

I'm delighted to say that I've been offered a position as a signaller at the Crawley ROC. It's a bit of a step change for me career-wise and I was just wondering if any of you experienced lads and a lasses might have any tips/good to know bits and pieces etc.?

I know I'm starting signalling school at the end of July at either Basingstoke or York. Should I be keeping my fingers crossed for one or the other particularly? Really looking forward to getting cracking with it!

I finished signalling school today! Great experience and the people there have incredible knowledge.....all I can suggest as far as tips is enjoy your Tim off before you start as once you start.....there is no let up, the info is thrown thick and fast and you HAVE to absorb it!

You'll be at York as Basingstoke is full up for the next course which starts in 2 weeks, then the next course after that is September

TRain87

Congratulations by the way! I too came from a very different background and I can already tell this is the best career decision I have made!!!

Last edited:

NX

I've not long finished at York, really good place if your at Crawley ROC Id assume you'll be allocated to the IECC course which I did.

The two trainers are really good, both ex signallers and know their stuff.
The simulators are really good to, you'll be well looked after and taught all the stuff you need to know.

0900-1600 are the typical working days in school with an hour for dinner.
You'll really need to do homework and simulator time to keep up, and ensure you understand what's what.

You'll have written exams at week two, five and nine plus a final high risk simulator assessment in week ten.

Last edited by a moderator:

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Congratulations! Welcome to the madhouse ;)

Above all; if you don't know something; ask (and I cannot stress that enough). That doesn't just go for being at the school either; carry it with you throughout your career would be my advice.
Everything that's been said above is completely accurate; you'll be in at the deep end and there's a lot to absorb. Don't be put off by that; it's quite straightforward; just be prepared
Above all; stay calm under pressure and enjoy yourself as much as you can; it's a great job in one of the most exciting and dynamic environments out there!

LewesTom

Thanks for the replies! For those who have been to York for their training - where abouts did you stay and how do the weekends work? (i.e. when do you leave/return?)

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Thanks for the replies! For those who have been to York for their training - where abouts did you stay and how do the weekends work? (i.e. when do you leave/return?)

A couple of years ago now but I stayed in the Hilton for two weeks; the Hotel 53 (which may or may not still be used as it's quite a hike from the training centre) for two weeks and the Park Inn for the remainder. Friday was a lunchtime finish so I generally left on the 13:00 ish train (or maybe a little afterwards; which had the advantage of being able to get across London before rush hour as I live in Surrey); and Sundays I left Kings Cross usually at about 6 or 7 or so; but some people left early afternoon and some on the last train from London (22:00). Some people came up on the Monday morning from time to time (unless it's changed Mondays start at 10am instead of 9am) but that's a bit of an early start before a full days work so I wouldn't recommend that unless you've got anything pressing at home.

NX

Monday you'll start at 0930, Friday you'll be hard done by if your still there after 1400-1500hrs.

You'll get paid 6hrs travelling time on Sunday to.

Accomdation wise, you will be placed in a hotel and get breakfast and an evening meal Monday to Thursday, just breakfast Friday.
Some places we stayed didn't do Sunday evening food. So you buy it yourself and claim back, likewise any bus travel you have to do.

Hotel 53, Park Inn, Novotel and the Uni were all used by us.
The Steak at Hotel 53 is to die for !

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.