• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle- Ansdell & Fairhaven off peak question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB86

Hi

I'm slightly confused by the term 'off peak' when ordering my tickets. I want ideally to get the 9.24 from Newcastle to Ansdell & Fairhaven on March 20. Would I be able to travel between 9.24 and 13.24 on an off peak ticket, or do I need to buy an anytime ticket?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Newcastle (NCL) to Ansdell & Fairhn (AFV)

SVR - OFF-PEAK R TPE
00000 - ANY PERMITTED

1 Adult @£ 68.00 = £ 68.00

Restriction : 8A
Available as listed below on
any day.

OUTWARD TRAVEL
Valid on any train.

RETURN TRAVEL
Valid on any train.

Are you doing a single or return? If you are returning, when? Advance tickets splitting at Manchester may be cheaper, if there are any left.

Also if you don't mind going via Penrith & Lancaster, it is cheaper to split:

Newcastle - Penrith £22.00 Anytime Return
Penrith - Ansdell & Fairhaven £27.70 Off Peak Return (Valid any time after 0415, so effectively any time!)
Total = £49.70

David

Established Member
The ticket is priced by TPE and has a 8A restriction .... IE. Valid any train.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The ticket is priced by TPE and has a 8A restriction .... IE. Valid any train.

Yep, good old 8A. All non-London Savers used to have that restriction! Then the TOCs started defrauding us by stealth price rises. They did this by getting the product that is legally protected in price and changing the product into a more restrictive product. A loophole in the law allowed them to do this. It should have been illegal. So, well done to the TOCs that have kept the SVRs unrestricted - or, even better, in some cases renamed them as Anytime. And the ones that have not are fraudsters in my view. Fortunately you can get round it by splitting in most cases.

JB86

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I also forgot to mention that I have a 16-25 rail card, and yes, it is a return ticket. I'm unsure what this 8A restriction means? Does it just mean I can't use the ticket before or during 8am?

Thanks
JB.

John @ home

Established Member
I'm unsure what this 8A restriction means?
8A is the code for the restriction in the Fares Manual. yorkie quotes from the Manual above. 8A means both outward and return travel are valid on any train.

In any case, most (but not quite all) railway time restrictions apply Monday to Friday only and so would be available for travel at any time on Saturday 20 March.

Therefore a £44.90 Off-Peak Return with a 16-25 railcard is valid for you to travel outward on your chosen trains
Newcastle Dep 09:24 Carlisle Arr 10:46 Northern
Carlisle Dep 11:28 Preston (Lancs) Arr 12:41 TransPennine Express
Preston (Lancs) Dep 13:02 Ansdell And Fairhaven Arr 13:24 Northern
But on this journey one of your trains stops at Penrith. It has been pointed out by yorkie above that it is cheaper to split at Penrith. This means that you buy one return ticket from Newcastle to Penrith and another from Penrith to Ansdell And Fairhaven. The appropriate tickets are
Anytime Return Newcastle - Penrith. £14.50 with 16-25 Railcard.
Off-Peak Return Penrith - Ansdell And Fairhaven. £18.30 with 16-25 Railcard.
Total £32.80
This saves you £12.10 but restricts your route. If you buy the more expensive Newcastle - Ansdell And Fairhaven ticket, this is route "any permitted" which means in this case that you can choose whether to go via Carlisle or via York. If you buy the cheaper combination of tickets then you must travel via Carlisle and you must travel on trains which stop at Penrith where you change from one ticket to the other. You are not allowed to catch a train which goes through Penrith without stopping.

You can buy both the 'split' tickets at Newcastle on the day of travel or, if you prefer, you can buy them in advance on the internet and pick them up from a machine a Newcastle station before you travel. I would choose to do the latter.

JB86

That's interesting to know. I would prefer to go via Penrith anyway...during the west coast flooding last November I had to go via York and it took me something like six hours to get home. Not one of my favourite train rides!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I apologise for the double post but one last thing-

I will be returning to Newcastle on Friday, April 9. Will I be allowed to travel at any time with the off-peak ticket then, or is there a time restriction?

Sorry if I seem a little dense...all these rules and regulations are confusing!

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
I apologise for the double post but one last thing-

I will be returning to Newcastle on Friday, April 9. Will I be allowed to travel at any time with the off-peak ticket then, or is there a time restriction?

The 8A restriction means it is valid on any train (on that route) at any time, so effectively the "8A restriction" tells you the ticket is unrestricted :roll: (seriously) so yes you can use it, things like this are the reasons the tickets should be re-named so the name represents the restrictions (if there are any) better

clagmonster

Established Member
Certainly. If you buy the full Newcastle-Ansdell saver return for £44.90, you will be valid on any train on both outward and return journies. Note that you can't break your journey, other than to change trains, on the outward journey, but you can break your journey on the return journey.
If you split tickets at Penrith, the Newcastle-Penrith leg is unrestricted in both directions. For the Penrith-Ansdell leg, in both directions, you may only travel on trains scheduled to depart after 04:15, or at anytime on a weekend. This is effectively unrestricted, as there are no trains on this route departing before 04:15. Note that if you split the tickets, you must catch trains which stop at Penrith.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

As posted above by me originally and reiterated by others, if you have a through ticket you can use any train.

If you combine two tickets, splitting at Penrith, to save money, then you cannot use the Ansdell And Fairhaven to Penrith ticket until 0415 (4:15am). Given that the first train is at 0553 (5:53am) you can, in effect, use any train.

DJ737

Hi there

I enjoy reading these threads on fares, and have learnt a great deal, (there is a bit of a pun here) many thanks to all.

..........but where is Ansdell & Fairhaven ?

Never heard of it.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.