• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle east end diamond crossings - archive film

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGH 1

Thank you for filling in some gaps ( please excuse the pun ). I wish they hadn't gotten rid of the 3rd rail network when they did, i would love to have seen it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I read somewhere that apparently the large van area was partly for fish traffic and also the amount of prams being carried, i don't know if they had more new parents on that line during the period than anywhere else or what. I'm not sure if the parcel unit ran to South Shields but i believe when it was dispensed with it was sent over to the merseyrail system.
New parents were everywhere post war (says one of their offspring) and slam-door stock and prams didn't go well together (the SR had parcels vans attached to its push-pull trains round Bournemouth for the same reason! North Tyneside had sliding door stock...

DGH 1

New parents were everywhere post war (says one of their offspring) and slam-door stock and prams didn't go well together (the SR had parcels vans attached to its push-pull trains round Bournemouth for the same reason! North Tyneside had sliding door stock...
Ah, of course, the baby boomers, i hadn't thought of that, it makes perfect sense now and i didn't realise the SR did that with parcel vans either, thank you.

Reference prams, remember in the Forties and Fifties a pram was a very large "coach built" item on large wheels not meant to fold or have removable sections, it was only when children were of walking age that they graduated to a "push chair" which was still cumbersome and not that compact. Often the prams or push chairs would be kept outside of the family home because they were so bulky.

Status
Not open for further replies.