• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle - Ebbsfleet or Ashford

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad_rich

Friends are driving down to Dover from the North West, and I need to rendez-vous with them somewhere. I'm travelling by train from Newcastle.

The most likely looking bet is to go to King's Cross and then get the High Speed to Ashford or Ebbsfleet (depending on which way they plan to drive to Dover).

Departing NCL on Good Friday at 0630. One way.

An Advance on the NCL-KGX is £64. (a bit cheaper if I go half an hour earlier)
Plus £16.10 (Ebbsfleet) or £29.70 (Ashford) for a Super Off Peak Day Single.

Any other tickets I should be looking at? I don't need a return, but I could easily use an open KGX-NCL portion.

No railcards.

Anyone know what's on offer in First for breakfast on a bank hol? Only £9 extra for that train.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
If they are driving to Dover the best way is via the M20 to Folkestone and then the A20. The best rail interchanges with this route are Ashford International or Folkestone West.

mad_rich

Thanks. We had settled on Ashford, but Folkestone looks even more convenient, and only 50p more!

Ebbsfleet would have been better for me - cheaper and more frequent - but it looks like they're going M20 not M2.

talldave

Established Member
I was going to dive in and warn you about engineering works - trains in Kent turn into buses every weekend/bank holiday at the moment - but your route appears to be one that doesn't have scheduled engineering works.

That said, last time I tried to catch an HS1 from Gravesend at a weekend, it had turned into a bus without any prior announcements on Southeastern's website - so they're not to be trusted.

paul1609

Established Member
Thanks. We had settled on Ashford, but Folkestone looks even more convenient, and only 50p more!

Ebbsfleet would have been better for me - cheaper and more frequent - but it looks like they're going M20 not M2.

The M20 is a far better route than the A2/M2. Ebbsfleet is okayish if your friends are coming over the top on the M25 (using the dartford Crossing) you can then drop down the A2 to Ebbsfleet and then continue down the A2/M2 to junction 3 where you turn off on the A229 towards Maidstone and Junction 6 of the M20. The M2 beyond junction 4 is only 2 lanes (think 40.2 mph HGV overtaking 40.1 HGV on the hills).
If they are coming round the bottom of the M25 (past Heathrow) Ebbsfleet access is pretty rubbish. Thats why its a total failure as an Eurostar Station.

mad_rich

Well, it all went swimmingly - at least until I wad picked up at Ashford.

Newcastle-Ashford 5 hrs.
Ashford-Dover 6 hrs!

Status
Not open for further replies.