• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle MRS Show Today and Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Plug for the Newcastle and District MRS exhibition which is going on today and tomorrow at Gateshead Stadium (more info here). Nearest Metro is Gateshead Stadium, which is about a £10 minute walk and there is parking on site.

Admission I think is £5 per adult.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I know it's a bit late, but I have to say I was mightily impressed.

My Dad and I took my wee one down (he's getting a train set for Christmas and we're getting him interested and excited in model trains).

I'll definately be going back again next year...if only to look out for a bargain.

One thing is for certain, I don't have the patience to be a bona fide modeller. I'll stick to having a layout and trains and the odd bit of accessory.

Established Member
Was good to see it again, haven't been in a few years. Quite a lot of room for a change as they were using the full hall, unlike other years.

Not sure if you picked up a leaflet but there is a swapmeet later on in December which normally has a few bargains.

sprinterguy

Established Member
It's good to hear that the Newcastle show is still going strong. It used to be part of my annual model railway exhibition circuit when I was in the north east, which went something along the lines of Birtley - Perth Green - Sunderland - Newcastle, first when my parents used to take me when I was a kid and then on my own when I was in my teens. Used to go to the occasional show a bit further afield if my Dad was feeling particularly charitable to drive us there. I'm sure must have gone to one in Darlington or somewhere in the area once, as I remember that we stopped off at Shildon on the way back, years before NRM Locomotion came along, when all there was was a half mile demonstration line giving brake van rides.

I can remember when the Newcastle show used to actually be in Newcastle; somewhere down towards the Quayside was it? After the move to Gateshead Stadium, I did think it was silly that they didn't use the entirety of the hall, so it's nice to hear that they are doing so now.

As for me, I'm off to the Warley show at the NEC this Saturday. One of the advantages of living in the West Midlands.:)

Established Member
Might have been the Guildhall on the Quayside, remember going to something there one year.

GNER 373

It was held at the old fish market on the Quayside which is now a nightclub....or youth club after my last visit there!

It was once held in the University too about 97/98. I went on the Sunday with my Grandad, was really impressed with some of the layouts. We even took part in the Two Minute silence for Rememberance Sunday at 11.00am. It was surreal, there was obviously the usual hustle and bustle at the exhibition when the tannoy announced it was 10:58. Not everyone heard the announcement but soon fell into line and the hall went completely silent. All trains stopped, operators and visitors head's bowed. Even the usual screaming kids!

I'll be going again next year and it's a must for all you collectors out there to visit the Swap Meet on the 3rd December, bargains galore! I think it's about £2/3 to get in. See you there

Gah. 3rd Dec? I'll be drunk in Sheffield. So unfair.

Where is the swap meet please? Because I might send my dad along with some cash.

sprinterguy

Established Member
It was once held in the University too about 97/98. I went on the Sunday with my Grandad, was really impressed with some of the layouts. We even took part in the Two Minute silence for Rememberance Sunday at 11.00am. It was surreal, there was obviously the usual hustle and bustle at the exhibition when the tannoy announced it was 10:58. Not everyone heard the announcement but soon fell into line and the hall went completely silent. All trains stopped, operators and visitors head's bowed. Even the usual screaming kids!
Oh yeah, I remember that now that you mention it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.