• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle to Blackburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig
Im looking to travel this route return on the 15th November as my team Sunderland happen to play Blackburn that day. So I thought I would price it out on the train leaving from Newcastle. A return from Newcastle to Blackburn costs £58, however if you buy two returns from Newcastle-York (£22) and then York to Blackburn (£17) it comes to £39. Got these prices from the trainline but surely this cant be right. How can there be such a discrepancies between the pricing:|

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Welcome to Rail Fares, Spoony :) This is an example of illogical pricing, where it is cheaper to split your fares than it is to buy the through ticket. This is usually because they are priced for another route: a famous example is Glasgow-Newcastle, where it is cheaper to split at Carlisle and take a longer journey.

There are many examples out there; as soon as you find them, make good use of them.

spoony

Welcome to Rail Fares, Spoony :) This is an example of illogical pricing, where it is cheaper to split your fares than it is to buy the through ticket. This is usually because they are priced for another route: a famous example is Glasgow-Newcastle, where it is cheaper to split at Carlisle and take a longer journey.

There are many examples out there; as soon as you find them, make good use of them.

I will mate, absolutely stupid the way it works out. It probably means I will end up having to pay two booking fees. I would like to know what the actual true cost of the fare is though. ie how much it actually costs to carry me.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I will mate, absolutely stupid the way it works out. It probably means I will end up having to pay two booking fees. I would like to know what the actual true cost of the fare is though. ie how much it actually costs to carry me.

Just book on the NXEC website and you won't be charged any fee ;)

me123

Established Member
Or, at the station, they have to sell you what you ask for. Your best bet would be to buy the two tickets.

It will probably amaze you how much money ATOC make from people who could have split their tickets to save money.

clagmonster

Established Member
There is no need to pay any booking fee. Both these tickets are known as walk-up tickets, meaning that you can buy them on the day at Newcastle station booking office, at the same price. Alternatively, if you want to book your tickets in advance on the internet, try this website: www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com There is now booking fee or postage fee there, you simply pay the price of the ticket.

spoony

There is no need to pay any booking fee. Both these tickets are known as walk-up tickets, meaning that you can buy them on the day at Newcastle station booking office, at the same price. Alternatively, if you want to book your tickets in advance on the internet, try this website: www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com There is now booking fee or postage fee there, you simply pay the price of the ticket.

Cheers everyone, I pass Newcastle Central daily so ill hop off and get them in two batches;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ill get one lot after next pay day as Ive already overspent this month:D
Why the rush to get one lot before the other? They are walk-on fares.

If the game gets cancelled, it's £10 "admin fee" per ticket to the train company!!!

Unless you want reservations, you may as well pay on the day, or the day before.

djw1981

Established Member
Also worth pointing out that IIRC, ATOC do not make any money from booking fees, the site operators do - so trainline (Virgin Group) or whichever TOC runs the site through which you book. AS has been mentioned, NXEC do not ahve an online booking fee, so presumably support the website from their ticket sales commission.

spoony

You can also get NXEC advance single fares between Newcastle and York as long as you're sure you'll be travelling at a certain time, or don't mind being too flexible. From £6.50 each way.

http://tickets.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/nxec/en/JourneyPlanning/MixingDeck

And it just remains to say:

HAWAY THE LADS

Cheers, just checked the website and the cheapest are £8.90 either way so its probably worth getting the day return so I have the flexibility and am not worrying about the train from Blackburn being on time. I cant wait:D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can get AP fares as far west as Burnley. So Newcastle-Burnley (AP tickets) plus a Burnley-Blackburn (walk-on day return) may work out a good deal, but not at short notice.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Spoony, you may be better off getting one of the ALS coaches for £16 - even if it is a bus and booze is banned.

spoony

Spoony, you may be better off getting one of the ALS coaches for £16 - even if it is a bus and booze is banned.

Oh dear god, I never thought Id hear of ALS on this forum:lol: Ive done plenty of away games on ALS (and usually sneak a sneaky mix of vodka and coke onboard). I just fancy the train for this game instead of a bunch of idiot charvers that go with ALS. They did get me to villa for 12.30 though a couple of weeks back:D

Status
Not open for further replies.