• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle to Bournemouth by car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten2340

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I'm travelling to Bournemouth from Newcastle (work trip fuel expenses claimable) and I'm trying to decide between the M1/M25/M3/M27 combo or the A43/M40/A34. The former option is whilst slightly longer it means it's motorway most of the way until the M27 ends whereas the other option means I miss the M25.

Which way plus you guys go? Also what sites should I look out for to help alleviate the bordem?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
someone more recent may be able to update but there was roadworks m25-m3 junction and then several miles along the M3. If they are still ongoing I'd avoid.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Why not just pop the journey into Google Maps? I find it to be quite reliable when it comes to journey times.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I would suggest M1, A42, M42, M40, A34. This is the route we use to get from Reading to the North East (except the A34).
It may be slightly longer, but it's mostly a straight run without many hold-ups
The A43 is a nightmare, especially when there's an event at Silverstone.

https://goo.gl/maps/pxFXcR2RHeH2

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
If you have the option to avoid London (M25) AND by using mostly dual carriageways, then it's a no-brainer to me.

Lrd

Established Member
Avoid the eastern end of the M3 as much as possible. There are roadworks from Junction 4a up to the M25 and it's slow. Also the M25 near Heathrow/Chertsey can be very slow indeed.

I would go M1, M40, A34, M3, M27.

The M27 becomes the A31 and it's dual carriageway/70 mph almost all the way to Bournemouth. Or you can come off at Southampton and go through Lyndhurst/Christchurch if the A31 is knackered, both ways are same sort of timings.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
How about some silly but possibly time-equivalent routes?

A1, M18, M1, A38 all the way to Lichfield, Tamworth/Wilnecote Bypass, M42, M40, A34?
A1, M18, M1 to Leicester, Fosse Way to the M40, A34?
A1, M18, M1, M69, Fosse Way, M40, A34?

Rich McLean

Established Member
The M42 will be slow going mid afternoon. If it's rammed, come off the M42 at J6, take the first exit to the A45, then off at the next slip road and take the third exit towards Hatton and Warwick (signed for Leamington). Once you get to the Warwick by pass, do a right onto the dual carriage way, and jump onto the M40 at J15. Often you can save 10 to 20 mins going this way.

Phil.

Established Member
i assume you mean the real Newcastle and not the pretend Newcastle near Stoke ;) if so the M1 ends near York.

Do you mean Newcastle upon Tyne?
The route I'd take - after spending a few years working part-time for a leasing company collecting and delivering cars - would be A1/A1(M) then at J43 the M1, then at J21 the M69 leading on to the A46, then M40, A34, M3 and you know the rest.
This completely avoids the southern end of the M1, the M25 and the eastern and of the M3 which has never been free of roadworks. It can be a little trafficy at the M69/A46 interchange and the Botley area on the A34 can also be a bit trafficy but that's the way I'd do it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Do you mean Newcastle upon Tyne?
The route I'd take - after spending a few years working part-time for a leasing company collecting and delivering cars - would be A1/A1(M) then at J43 the M1, then at J21 the M69 leading on to the A46, then M40, A34, M3 and you know the rest.
This completely avoids the southern end of the M1, the M25 and the eastern and of the M3 which has never been free of roadworks. It can be a little trafficy at the M69/A46 interchange and the Botley area on the A34 can also be a bit trafficy but that's the way I'd do it.

I always go the M18 route. I don't know why it just seems faster and quieter.

Interestingly Google Maps suggest using the A19 rather than the A1 north of Dishforth

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Interestingly Google Maps suggest using the A19 rather than the A1 north of Dishforth

It depends where in Newcastle you're heading to. There's also a 50mph speed limit from Leeming Bar to Scotch Corner as they upgrade the road to motorway.

I also go the A1-M18 way as it feels faster, except at rush hour when it snarls up at Ferrybridge, although when they finally finish the upgrade work around Wakefield on the M1 I might change my mind again.

I'd agree with M69/A46, it's a nice road, and doesn't tend to be too busy.

Last edited:

TheKnightWho

Established Member

I think that's probably due to the upgrades currently plaguing the A1 in the north-east - it'll be great when it's finally all finished, but that won't be for a while yet.

cactustwirly

Established Member
STILL ?- bloody highways agency ;)

At least they've finally finished the M1 works, which took almost 6 years to complete.
At one point I think it was 50mph all the way from the M18 to almost Nottingham

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
At least they've finally finished the M1 works, which took almost 6 years to complete.
At one point I think it was 50mph all the way from the M18 to almost Nottingham

it was! driving down to MK took ages. In the end I used the A1 all the way down to the black cat.

Kryten2340

I was going FROM Newcastle to Bournemouth. Making the return trip on Monday. The M1 was shut between 22 and 23a so ended up on the A42/M42/M40

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

It was faster and quieter before the Darrington-Micklefield section was upgraded to Motorway, it must be a good 5 minutes quicker now, and a more pleasant drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.