Newcastle to Darlington - season ticket

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by n20998, 24 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n20998

n20998 New Member

Hi all,

I've just found this forum and it looks excellent. I travel from Newcastle to Darlington, usually 4 times a week, for a total of around 160 - 170 times per year. I'm hoping to get some advice on season tickets and other possible ways to make it cheaper...

1) If I get a season ticket for Newcastle to Darlington, can I travel to Durham as an intermediate station? Could I, say, travel from Newcastle to Durham, then back from Durham to Newcastle without any problems?

2) Any ideas to make travel a bit cheaper. The season ticket works out at the same cost as about 166 individual journeys, which is around what I do. Monthly tickets (are these actually a month or 28 days?) don't really help. I don't think I qualify for any type of railcard. The best I can find is possibly using a site which offers points worth about 1% back. Is there anything else I can be doing?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thansk

2. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

Season tickets are valid at any intermediate station, so you can use your ticket for any journeys between any of Newcastle, Chester-le-Street, Durham and Darlington.

A monthly ticket is valid for one calendar month. You can save some money across the year by getting "odd period" season tickets, adding a few odd days to a monthly ticket, so that it always starts on a Monday and ends on a Friday.

3. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

With a season ticket, you can use it to make an infinite number of journeys to/from any station on a permitted route between the stations on the ticket, as per the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

In this case, a Newcastle to Darlington season could be used to travel Newcastle-Durham and back without any issues whatsoever.

I've found an option that would save approximately 10% on the cost of what you pay per season ticket. It's not a loophole or anything 'naughty' but nonetheless I will send it over PM to prevent the train companies picking up on it. Edited to add that I'll only be able to do this once "awaiting activation" changes and/or mods enable your PM facilities! :)

Last edited: 24 May 2015
  4. n20998

n20998 New Member

Thanks both for the very quick responses. I hope I get activated soon!

Arctic Troll - I don't understand what you mean by odd periods. How do I do that? The 4 days I use are usually Mon - Thurs, does that help me?

5. Merseysider

PM sent. If anything needs further explanation, just send me, Arctic Troll or anyone with "Fares Advisor" in their title a PM :)

6. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Any period of your choosing between 1 calendar month and 1 year.

Unless you require the Season on other days, it's best to ensure the Season starts and finishes on a work day (taking into account annual leave, bank holidays etc)

So for example you may wish a Season to start this Tuesday (26th) and finish on Thursday the 2nd of July. Then your next Season could start Monday 6th July, and so on, typically 5 week blocks (extending it to 6 or 7 weeks if convenient).

7. Merseysider

The National Rail Enquiries season ticket calculator can be helpful to work out the best ticket to buy. You can enter custom time periods or just ask for 1 week/1 month or all options.

8. n20998

n20998 New Member

Thanks everyone for your help, in particular JakeF for the detail in the PMs. Really glad I signed up and asked!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.