• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle to Liverpool fare advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewcastleAdam

Hi guys, have been a long time 'lurker' and finally decided to sign up.

I could do with some fare advice for Sunday 13th May. Need to arrive in Liverpool around 13:00, depart around 19:00. Two adults, both with YP railcards. Does anyone have any suggested splits / routing anomalies that may make this journey cheaper?

Cheapest I have found so far is around £32 each return.

This is splitting advances on the 09:31 Newcastle to Liverpool, Newcastle to York and Leeds to Liverpool with a cheap day return York to Leeds.

Returning 19:22 to York (advance to Leeds), then on the 21:58.

Thanks in advance for any help :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chapeltom

Established Member
For a 360 mile round-trip I think you'll struggle to beat £32 return, that is a very good fare for the distance.

tony_mac

Established Member
That obviously isn't the adult fare; is it a 16-25 railcard fare with the online transpennine discount?

tony_mac

Established Member
I missed that!

You could save some money by going the other way round, splitting at e.g. Carlisle and Preston.

sonic2009

Established Member
You could save some money by going the other way round, splitting at e.g. Carlisle and Preston.

I believe there are engineering works going on around the Penrith area on the 13th.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have found a cheaper way of getting you to Liverpool but involves a very tight 20minute dash in Leeds on your outward, and using Megabus.

Outward :

Megabus :£6.00 0840 Newcastle, Neville Street to Leeds Kirkgate, Stand K14 (Leeds coach station) 1050
Train : STD Advance FTPE Promotion £5.45 1110 Leeds to Liverpool Lime Street 1256

Return :

Train : STD Advance FTPE Promotion £3.00 1922 Liverpool to Manchester Victoria 2003
Megabus : £7.00 2100 Manchester Shudehill interchange to Newcastle, Neville Street 0040

Total cost : £21.45 per person

Train prices given are with 16-25 railcard discount.

Or Option 2 using National Express/Megabus gives you a better interchange at Leeds

Outward :

Megabus : as shown above.
National Express funfare £5.50 : Leeds coach station 1130 arr Liverpool coach station 1340

Return :

National Express funfare £6.50 Liverpool coach station 1830 arr Leeds coach station 2035
Megabus £6.00 : Leeds coach station 2100 arr Newcastle Neville street 2305 £6.00

Total cost : £25.00 per person including the £1.00 National Express booking fee.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.