• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle to Munich via Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

M28361M

You might want to look at getting the Nightjet sleeper train from Brussels in at least one direction; it will save you having to make a really early start in Newcastle.

I agree, I would definitely look into this. Can be pricey but if you book ahead (booking can open up to 180 days in advance) some cheap advance fares (Sparscheine) are available on oebb.at. You can either cram into a 6-bed couchette, or pay extra for a compartment, some of which have ensuite showers.

Everything is up in the air at the moment obviously, but on the pre-Covid timetable, you could get the 12:58 Eurostar from St Pancras and arrive Brussels at 16:08. Departure time from Brussels is 18:04, and that two hours is good "insurance" in case of delays. If everything runs to schedule, you have time to grab something to eat and drink at the station before boarding the sleeper. You arrive in Munich around 7am the next morning.

Currently the sleeper only runs from Brussels twice a week (Mondays and Thursdays) but on other days you can get it from Cologne.

The Man in Seat 61 has a good overview of the Nightjet service here: https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/nightjet.htm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
OK, reality check. If you honestly think that you can get from somewhere in NE England (I live near Peterlee by the way) to Bavaria by rail in 12 .5 hours, good luck. It'll be more like 17-20.
The DB planner gives several appropriate connections around the 13h mark.

beermaddavep

I'm actually surprised at that 30907, I've had a look and there's even one option at around 12 hours 50! In my defence the last time I used Eurostar it was still working out of Waterloo :)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I'm actually surprised at that 30907, I've had a look and there's even one option at around 12 hours 50! In my defence the last time I used Eurostar it was still working out of Waterloo :)

There's a good hour saved :D

Ian99

Re the argument about plane v. train, all I would say is that I went with 5 others to Munich from London and everybody loved it. We had breakfast on the E*, our own compartment for 6 on the Brussels to Frankfurt train (you can book this for less that 6 people too) so created our own atmosphere - it was just like being in a bar. Sit down lunch on the Frankfurt to Munich train with draft beer. I'm getting quite nostalgic...

EAD

Lots of views and advice up top, OP. Think it boils down to:

1) 1 person does not fly, others would normally fly but it is your 40th trip. Starting Newcastle/Gateshead areas and Nottingham - that means you need to find a convenient place to meet as you say.
2) What is the plan when in Munich/surroundings - I would work that out if not already done and then think about the travel as your mates that fly will be focused on the city break part of it I guess. Lots to do and Oberbayern (Upper Bavaria) is really nice. It is your birthday of course but you could easily mix up nice celebratory meal/trip with some activities or tours in the lakes/foothills or indeed if that is your thing museums/galleries etc.
3) I would make the journey part of the experience particularly on the way out (so shared space a nice drink and food etc), but keep in mind the guys that want to get there quickly so over night travel may help - that is an experience and time efficient. I was on the inaugural Nightjet from Brussels in January along with Mr Seat 61 and others. It is not yet clear how Brussels will work in 2021 - the train is gaining a daily Amsterdam portion from December 2020. The ferries are a good idea for overnight travel and I have used Hv.H - Harwich since I was born pretty much, but I would expect for your mates it is going to be either an overnight boat or an overnight train, not both.

Veteran Member
Just one other thought: the combination of the greater frequency of UK trains (and ticket policy), and being headed for my own home and bed means that I would happily do the homeward trip from Munich in a day but would consider a stopover/sleeper/overnight ferry going out. The time zone difference also makes a psychological difference, but doesn't make you less tired!

Peter Kelford

2) What is the plan when in Munich/surroundings - I would work that out if not already done and then think about the travel as your mates that fly will be focused on the city break part of it I guess. Lots to do and Oberbayern (Upper Bavaria) is really nice. It is your birthday of course but you could easily mix up nice celebratory meal/trip with some activities or tours in the lakes/foothills or indeed if that is your thing museums/galleries etc.
If cars are your thing, you could go to Stuttgart.

MarcVD

If this had a like button it would get a like. I had forgotten about that. The dude who has the flying issue is into his cars so that's extra persuasion ammo for me. Thanks.

You're welcome. I would love going there myself. I have already owned two BMW cars, and I'm seriously thinking about having the third one delivered there instead of at my local dealership, and drive it back through the lovely german coutryside... Trains and cars are not mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.