• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle-Wilton Wilton-Newcastle 67's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed-Hunter

Past few weeks a light loco 67 has been running to and from Newcastle-Wilton (on Teesside) via the Durham Coast line. Curiosity has the got the better of me in wondering what it's all in aid of? It's down as an LNER service and training runs usually go to Northallerton and back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Past few weeks a light loco 67 has been running to and from Newcastle-Wilton (on Teesside) via the Durham Coast line. Curiosity has the got the better of me in wondering what it's all in aid of? It's down as an LNER service and training runs usually go to Northallerton and back.
I expect they’re killing two birds with one stone. It’s actually via Northallerton and Middlesbrough.

As well as the usual Newcastle to Northallerton route learning for diversions, they also expect to run to Middlesbrough before long. So depending on what stabling, reversing or other ECS moves are required between timetabled Middlesbrough trains then they probably need to learn a fair number of alternative moves in the area. Wilton FLT might just be a convenient reversing location en route.

But here’s the two services on RTT for today, if anyone wants to add their thoughts:

Last edited:

Ed-Hunter

I expect they’re killing two birds with one stone. It’s actually via Northallerton and Middlesbrough.

As well as the usual Newcastle to Northallerton route learning for diversions, they also expect to run to Middlesbrough before long. So depending on what stabling, reversing or other ECS moves are required between timetabled Middlesbrough trains then they probably need to learn a fair number of alternative moves in the area. Wilton FLT might just be a convenient reversing location en route.

But here’s the two services on RTT for today, if anyone wants to add their thoughts:
If LNER are running to Middlesbrough, then this makes sense. I've not seen the route take them to Northallerton, it's a fairly short turnaround and back up the coast (past my nearest station over 20 mins early so missed the fecker). Wondering now if the early morning LNER Sunderland - Kings Cross will start at Middlesbrough then go to Sunderland then Kings Cross via ECML.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
[…]
Wondering now if the early morning LNER Sunderland - Kings Cross will start at Middlesbrough then go to Sunderland then Kings Cross via ECML.
It shouldn’t do AFAICT, Middlesbrough has always appeared as a separate direct service in the track access applications. Surely it would be far too much of a long way round to even consider?

Established Member
If LNER are running to Middlesbrough, then this makes sense. I've not seen the route take them to Northallerton, it's a fairly short turnaround and back up the coast (past my nearest station over 20 mins early so missed the fecker). Wondering now if the early morning LNER Sunderland - Kings Cross will start at Middlesbrough then go to Sunderland then Kings Cross via ECML.
Sunderland and Middlesbrough will be seperate services.
The 67 going to Wilton is training Driver Managers on the route and also they are videoing as well.
Driver training for drivers will start around June time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sunderland and Middlesbrough will be seperate services.
The 67 going to Wilton is training Driver Managers on the route and also they are videoing as well.
Driver training for drivers will start around June time.
Thanks for confirming. Does this mean it’s likely LNER trains will run beyond Middlesbrough between arrival and departure?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for confirming. Does this mean it’s likely LNER trains will run beyond Middlesbrough between arrival and departure?
Unless a third platform is added, it's just about a given. You want at least a 20-30 minute turnaround for an IC service on a journey of that length, which simply isn't possible in the through platforms with the frequency of the other services.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Unless a third platform is added, it's just about a given. You want at least a 20-30 minute turnaround for an IC service on a journey of that length, which simply isn't possible in the through platforms with the frequency of the other services.
Yes, I already thought they couldn’t stay in a platform - just wondering exactly how far they could reasonably be expected to go, I suppose when we see details creep into RTT it’ll become clearer...

On the other hand, it took me so long to find the old Freightliner terminal, (now the waste handling terminal), I can’t see any point in that being the real destination for the above training runs. Would it be on the schedule only because that’s the end of the line they happen to be reversing on?

Last edited:

Established Member
They are reopening a 3rd platform which is on the current freight lines. But yes it will/may need to shunt out I suppose learning down to where Wilton is, gives a bit more flexibility of where they can do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.