• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newhaven Marine loses canopy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Not exactly the same thing though is it? Getting an official cab ride through Network Rail and asking some random guard/driver on the day...

But surely the driver/guard would have the last say on the matter as it is their train... The only way to really find out is to go down there and find out

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
But surely the driver/guard would have the last say on the matter as it is their train... The only way to really find out is to go down there and find out

Once again, there is a significant difference between an officially arranged cab ride and just turning up out of the blue on a station and asking 'for a lift'. I do not see how this is hard to grasp?

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Once again, there is a significant difference between an officially arranged cab ride and just turning up out of the blue on a station and asking 'for a lift'. I do not see how this is hard to grasp?

Because, at least for me, it takes a while to understand things

TheEdge

Established Member
Mr Aircraft Carrier. You will NOT under any circumstances get a ride to this station

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Mr Aircraft Carrier. You will NOT under any circumstances get a ride to this station

I am fairly sure you can't tell me what I can and can't do

You are neither my mother or my partner

#

Whats the size of the platform at Newhaven Marine? Having some trouble with some new adblock software and I can't check the sectional appendix

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
10.29 "The Sunny South Express" Excursion from London Victoria to London Victoria at Newhaven Marine on the 10th August 2006. Made the journey over from Dublin to snap the ECS and hit the jackpot with this. Could have been the last train to allow passengers off onto the Platforms. (I stand to be corrected).

Loving the upside down "3" sign. I had no idea NVM ever had three platforms.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

#

Whats the size of the platform at Newhaven Marine? Having some trouble with some new adblock software and I can't check the sectional appendix

Any driver or other traincrew authorising you the ECS cab ride would most likely be risking their manager's wrath (and probably more), I doubt as friendly and accommodating as some are to enthusiasts that they'd allow that. If you do get one I'd never in a million years broadcast details of it!

As for your other question, it's far too late for me to be bothered to check the SA, but Quail gives it as 12 cars (so approximately 240m), long enough I'm presuming for the old boat and excursion trains way back when.

Loving the upside down "3" sign. I had no idea NVM ever had three platforms.

I'm presuming it was regarded as Harbour's third platform, I suppose not too dissimilar to the set-ups at Waterloo / Waterloo East and Catford / Catford Bridge.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Any driver or other traincrew authorising you the ECS cab ride would most likely be risking their manager's wrath (and probably more), I doubt as friendly and accommodating as some are to enthusiasts that they'd allow that. If you do get one I'd never in a million years broadcast details of it!

As for your other question, it's far too late for me to be bothered to check the SA, but Quail gives it as 12 cars (so approximately 240m), long enough I'm presuming for the old boat and excursion trains way back when.

Cheers... I was thinking of maybe making a model and wondered what the scale should be

GatwickDepress

Established Member
10.29 "The Sunny South Express" Excursion from London Victoria to London Victoria at Newhaven Marine on the 10th August 2006. Made the journey over from Dublin to snap the ECS and hit the jackpot with this. Could have been the last train to allow passengers off onto the Platforms. (I stand to be corrected).
The "Seaford 150" excursion in 2014 allowed passengers off the train at Newhaven Marine for a brief period. The station was looking a lot worse for wear than in 2006 though, with plenty of faded signage and damage.

Newhaven Marine - Faded Network South East Sign by Amira Blossom, on Flickr

Newhaven Marine - Broken Loudspeaker by Amira Blossom, on Flickr

Newhaven Marine - 8 Car Stop Sign by Amira Blossom, on Flickr

TheEdge

Established Member

No, thankfully I'm not. But what I am is an ex-conductor of 4 years experience and now a driver. And I can tell you with pretty much total certainty that you will not get a ride on an ECS service.

bramling

Veteran Member

Well, you can ask, but as has already been posted elsewhere the answer will almost certainly be no.

The safety culture on the railway nowadays is such that staff simply will not deviate from the laid-down rules, as the likelihood is that if they do then there will be comeback upon them.

It doesn't help that nowadays if someone allows something to happen which officially shouldn't, it probably won't be long before something appears on You Tube or Flickr, which sooner or later will find its way to management's eyes. The conversation will then go along the lines of "you knew this is against the rules, so why did you do it?", and the member of staff will then find themselves receiving something ranging from an action plan to a warning, or potentially worse.

It's not that staff are bloody minded, it really is the case that railway operational jobs are hard to get and easy to lose.

I should add that if in the unlikely event anyone does find themselves treated to something they aren't entitled to through someone's goodwill, please *don't* plaster the evidence all over the internet - for the reasons described above.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Quite, the fascination to keep it open over many threads astounds me. Keep it as a turn back by all means but apart from that it serves no purpose anymore and needs to be officially closed or at least withdraw the ability to purchase tickets to/from there from the systems.

Sudbury and Harrow road would be a good example of shutting a station - I know the picc line next door takes longer but im sure it would free up a path or two in the morning/evenings by not having anything stop there.

Surely the answer is to skip Sudbury and Harrow in the morning and evenings. Liken they skip Clapham Junction on the fast lines during the morning and evenings.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Clip

Established Member
Surely the answer is to skip Sudbury and Harrow in the morning and evenings. Liken they skip Clapham Junction on the fast lines during the morning and evenings.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

They only stop in the mornings and evenings there though.

Do you know if public access on the platform is allow?
I went today and there was nothing blocking access to it. Thanks ;)

I managed to successfully go on to the platform at Newhaven Marine yesterday. I was on the platform for about 20 minutes and had a good look around the station.

sarahj

Established Member
Was on the ghost train this morning and managed a few pics. Not much left, and even less was there when I passed later on the way to Seaford.

Attachments

• WP_20170126_07_37_39_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170126_07_37_39_Pro.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 331
  • WP_20170126_07_37_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170126_07_37_30_Pro.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 295

sarahj

Established Member
the right way?

Nope

Attachments

79.8 KB · Views: 62
    91.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

sarahj

Established Member
try, try again

Oh FFS!!!!!

Attachments

91.7 KB · Views: 28
    79.8 KB · Views: 25

adamedwards

10.29 "The Sunny South Express" Excursion from London Victoria to London Victoria at Newhaven Marine on the 10th August 2006.

Looks like the Manchester - Paris boat train I caught with my parents when the train first ran in the late 1980s. Manchester (16:30ish?) to North Pole down the WCML (not via Birmingham), a change to a 47 from an 86 and then a run to Newhaven punctuated by pathing waits near Balham (to get off the slow lines I think) and north of Lewes.

The problem with this was you then had to sit up all night on the boat and then change to the Paris train at 4.00 am. So not very popular, even if a nice idea. At Dieppe the train was on the quay side in the town centre and all the locals must have loved the daily screeching as the train left down the tramway. We then crossed Paris by Metro and took a TGV to Annecy, so quite a journey.

Coming back, I can remember the nice cooked breakfast in the train (Mk2 coach as mini buffet able to do scrambled egg), which had run ECS from Brighton. I don't recall much of the journey back to Manchester as a sleepless night on a boat was too much.

najaB

Veteran Member
Oh FFS!!!!!
It's not you, it's the forum software. I think it reads the orientation flag in the picture. You need to rotate them in a photo editing program and save them again before uploading - which I guess paulweaver did.

sarahj

Established Member
It's not you, it's the forum software. I think it reads the orientation flag in the picture. You need to rotate them in a photo editing program and save them again before uploading - which I guess paulweaver did.

Cheers. I rotated them elsewhere, but the forum seemed to not want to accept them. So they were the correct way until uploaded, and by then it's too late.

Those pics were taken at about 7.00 am, by the time I'd passed again around 13.30 the walls had been removed to the big white block on the roof. Compared to the last time I was there it was a bit of a shock. I'm doing the 104 duty again in two weeks time today, so will try and update.

5.45 Btn-Sef-Btn
Btn - Lws (ECS to NVM)
Ecs NVM to NVN
NVN-BTN-LWS-BTN-LWS-BTN
Break after almost 5 hours on a 313
Then 11.10 BTN-SEF-BTN-SEF-BTN
Home

infobleep

Veteran Member
the right way?

Nope
Your photod have what I'd termed, metadata. This is data about the photos. This rotates the photos to the right orientation.

This forum doesn't seem to use the metadata rotation value to rotate the photos, thus they come out sideways. That is my understanding of it anyway.

Edit. Ignore my above comments. Someone else replied.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
This forum doesn't seem to use the metadata rotation value to rotate the photos, thus they come out sideways. That is my understanding of it anyway.
I think it's the other way around - it ignores the orientation of the photo as uploaded and instead displays it according to the metadata. So you have to save it using an image editing program that strips out the camera's metadata.

asylumxl

Established Member
I think it's the other way around - it ignores the orientation of the photo as uploaded and instead displays it according to the metadata. So you have to save it using an image editing program that strips out the camera's metadata.

Pretty sure it ignores it. Most modern cameras and phones use the orientation field in the EXIF data rather than actually rotating the image itself as it saves time. When you're editing the images in an application, you're actually manipulating the raster image and rotating it round rather than just changing the EXIF field. It doesn't help that different applications do different things mind you e.g. some Windows applications only change the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.