• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newport - What a dump!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I've previously made a few comments about what a horrible place Newport station is, but after I had to change trains there a few days ago, I'm in full rant mode!

My train arrived at platform 1, I jumped off and looked around for the departure screen. There isn't one! In order to see a list of services and where they will go from you have to go all the way down to the ridiculous golf ball thing at the end of the platform.

I then noticed that half of the platform was marked as 'No access to passengers beyond this point'. When my connection, the Carmarthen bound HST pulled in, it went a long way past the signs prohibiting passengers to use that part of the problem, but everyone just ignored it anyway. Is the sign just to deter photographers?

As the HST was running late, I decided to nip outside for a quick smoke. The guy on the barrier was nice enough, but had a bit of difficulty working out what I wanted to do. He looked at my ticket and seemed a bit clueless as to what or where Llanelli meant. But at least I made it out, and back in, but I still dislike the position of the new entrance and exits compared tot he old one. It's now further away from the centre.

No one else bothered to go to the trouble of leaving the station for a puff, as I saw a couple of people lighting up on the platform - and right next to a no smoking sign at the entrance to the platform while the no smoking announcement was being played!

Finally, and this is nothing to do with the station, I know, but the maps outside defy all mapping conventions by having south at the top! I know the layout of the place and even I was confused trying to work out what was the matter with the map as it didn't look right at all!

I shall never change trains at this god forsaken place again. What a dump!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

table38

Established Member
How dare you Sir! I'll have you know that:

...a functional and welcoming station ... developed, with a modern design to bring the city of Newport into the 21st century. As the gateway to the city – and indeed to Wales – the resulting station needed to combine traditional station facilities with fresh and contemporary design.

and furthermore that:

...this high profile project – the greenest and biggest station work in South Wales – demonstrates a successful fusion of innovation and iconic design. The result is a station that will become an outstanding feature for the people of Newport, both for its design quality and its ease of use for the passenger.

It's clearly a:

futuristic organic architectural form

You should be celebrating the fact that Network Rail had the vision to spend £22m on something that looks disturbingly like fallopian tubes :)

_48902083_newstation.jpg

http://www.atkinsglobal.com/media-centre/features/newport-station-gateway-to-wales

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I would describe it as a Vanity Project for the 2010 Ryder Cup. Why all these futuristic designs now which seem to do more to boost an architect's ego than serve passengers.

TheEdge

Established Member
I think the thread title covers the station, the city, the environs, everything.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Well, I don't think the city is the nicest in the world, but I think it's fair to say my focus is more on the railway station than the rest of it!

My only previous experience there was of changing from platform 3 to platform 1, which I found irritating, due to having to right back to the ends of the platforms to access the overbridge. It was a very rushed connection so I didn't have time to look at the rest of the station from a practical point of view.

But having seen first hand how deficient it is, particularly on platform 1, I certainly think that the whole thing is a disgraceful waste of money!

Hornet

I would describe it as a Vanity Project for the 2010 Ryder Cup. Why all these futuristic designs now which seem to do more to boost an architect's ego than serve passengers.

I've worked with a few designers who are so far up their own backsides, it's almost comical! Each new Rail/Tram project I've worked on seems to need a feature bridge/building, along with a glossy brochure extolling it's virtues, (ie full of bulls**t). Question them about just providing a functional structure which does exactly what it says on the tin, and you would think you have just questioned their parenthood.

Clip

Established Member
I've worked with a few designers who are so far up their own backsides, it's almost comical! Each new Rail/Tram project I've worked on seems to need a feature bridge/building, along with a glossy brochure extolling it's virtues, (ie full of bulls**t). Question them about just providing a functional structure which does exactly what it says on the tin, and you would think you have just questioned their parenthood.

Cant be no worse than some of the guff that gets spouted on here about projects that should happen. Fantasy land some people.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It's not so much what the new buildings look like, though they are hideous, for me it's more about how poor the layout is, and the deficiencies that also exist with the way the station is managed.

My main gripes, I suppose, are the long walk to the bridge - the old one appears to be locked up every time I'm there, but I'm not sure whether that is permanent - I guess so as half of platform 1 is supposed to be off limits to passengers - and the lack of a proper departures screen on platform 1.

Mugby

Established Member
It's almost a year since I last changed trains at Newport but I noticed then that the old footbridge seemed to have been taken out of use.
Is the buffet still in business? I would have thought that loss of the footbridge plus distance from the new entrance would have effectively killed it off.

Envoy

Established Member
For some crazy reason, the National Rail website often advises passengers from the east heading to places west of Cardiff to change at Newport. I reckon that it is simply selecting the first place where a change is possible - even though it is not usually in the interests of the passengers or the TOC's.

So, for example put in for a journey from PAD to FGH (Fishguard Harbour) departing PAD at 8.41. You will be told to leave the HST at Newport for a ATW service to Fishguard. The last place you could have left the comfortable HST for this very same Fishguard train is Bridgend!

Now put in for PAD to Carmarthen departing at 13.45. Again, you will be told to change trains at Newport (with about a 10 minute change time) for the Gloucester to Fishguard train - probably a 150 or even a Pacer. This advice is crazy as the passenger(s) could have stayed in the comfort of the HST all the way to Swansea and then made the switch to the very same ATW service with about 20 minutes allowed for the change.

These changes are all the more bonkers if customers have to make a journey over the whirly bridge at Newport to Platform 1 whilst changes at Swansea, Bridgend or Cardiff would be on the flat.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
For some crazy reason, the National Rail website often advises passengers from the east heading to places west of Cardiff to change at Newport. I reckon that it is simply selecting the first place where a change is possible - even though it is not usually in the interests of the passengers or the TOC's.

So, for example put in for a journey from PAD to FGH (Fishguard Harbour) departing PAD at 8.41. You will be told to leave the HST at Newport for a ATW service to Fishguard. The last place you could have left the comfortable HST for this very same Fishguard train is Bridgend!

Now put in for PAD to Carmarthen departing at 13.45. Again, you will be told to change trains at Newport (with about a 10 minute change time) for the Gloucester to Fishguard train - probably a 150 or even a Pacer. This advice is crazy as the passenger(s) could have stayed in the comfort of the HST all the way to Swansea and then made the switch to the very same ATW service with about 20 minutes allowed for the change.

These changes are all the more bonkers if customers have to make a journey over the whirly bridge at Newport to Platform 1 whilst changes at Swansea, Bridgend or Cardiff would be on the flat.

I never quite get what criteria the booking engines use regarding changes.
A journey from Cardiff to Oldfield Park often suggests a change at Filton Abbey Wood. When in reality most of the time you would prefer the change at Bristol Temple Meads (more facilities there, more enclosed from the elements and the train you'd change onto at Filton will usually wait for 10 minutes at Bristol anyway).

Bakerloo

You should be celebrating the fact that Network Rail had the vision to spend £22m on something that looks disturbingly like fallopian tubes :)

Perhaps it'll become the female equivalent of Cerne Abbas Giant? :lol:

MarkyT

Established Member
At Newport the access from the car park definitely needed improvement, but the new design as a whole has degraded the experience for every other user of the station, quite apart from the quality of the new buildings, and any subjective opinions about it's aesthetic merit.

Walking distance for typical interchanges from platform to platforms and to the city centre has increased appreciably, but perhaps equally importantly deposits the incoming passenger opposite an incoherent range of buildings and convoluted back streets, rather than the clearly commercial Cambrian Road pedestrian boulevard leading directly into the heart of the city. The new entrance is also further from the bus station than the old one.

The capital cost of the scheme could have been reduced considerably if the new entrance had been built only to serve the three northernmost platforms from the car park, with the old entrance and footbridge at the eastern end retained for city centre access. Newport has suffered a decrease in passenger usage in recent years. I wonder if this can be wholly accounted for by local economic conditions or if the poor station design itself and in particular its degraded relationship with the city centre and other public transport has also played a part.

I fear this inferior yet allegedly 'iconic' design was forced through without consideration of all alternatives due to the time pressure of completion before the sports event, so local residents and other users of the station will pay for decades for three days of shiny newness experienced for a few brief minutes by a small group of celebrities, media figures and hangers on who were no doubt whisked by limo directly from the the entrance to the Celtic Manor.

quarella

A journey from Cardiff to Oldfield Park often suggests a change at Filton Abbey Wood. When in reality most of the time you would prefer the change at Bristol Temple Meads (more facilities there, more enclosed from the elements and the train you'd change onto at Filton will usually wait for 10 minutes at Bristol anyway).

In the mid to late 1990s when I was using timetable enquiry systems a lot the criteria was shortest acceptable connecting time so 5 minutes at Filton Abbey Wood would be offered over 15 minutes at Bristol Temple Meads. I do remember doing battle with a TRIBUTE ticket machine trying to force a change at the location that I and the customer was far better for them. In the end I had to admit defeat and wrote a note with the ticket office stamp.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I just love the bit about Llanelli, Id have said "Well it has a direct train from Rec Tum" Hope your fags were made in Wales:)we had a fag factory on the local industrial estate,selling at the back door was its downfall,Newports City status was stolen from us, so they deserve a station that looks awful.

NX

At Newport the access from the car park definitely needed improvement, but the new design as a whole has degraded the experience for every other user of the station, quite apart from the quality of the new buildings, and any subjective opinions about it's aesthetic merit.

Walking distance for typical interchanges from platform to platforms and to the city centre has increased appreciably, but perhaps equally importantly deposits the incoming passenger opposite an incoherent range of buildings and convoluted back streets, rather than the clearly commercial Cambrian Road pedestrian boulevard leading directly into the heart of the city. The new entrance is also further from the bus station than the old one.

The capital cost of the scheme could have been reduced considerably if the new entrance had been built only to serve the three northernmost platforms from the car park, with the old entrance and footbridge at the eastern end retained for city centre access. Newport has suffered a decrease in passenger usage in recent years. I wonder if this can be wholly accounted for by local economic conditions or if the poor station design itself and in particular its degraded relationship with the city centre and other public transport has also played a part.

I fear this inferior yet allegedly 'iconic' design was forced through without consideration of all alternatives due to the time pressure of completion before the sports event, so local residents and other users of the station will pay for decades for three days of shiny newness experienced for a few brief minutes by a small group of celebrities, media figures and hangers on who were no doubt whisked by limo directly from the the entrance to the Celtic Manor.

Recorded passenger useage ? The amount of time the Civic Centre (non city centre side) barriers are wide open and unmanned during the day in the week and most of the weekend would contribute to the 'falling usage' as people have clicked that they can gain free access this side even when the gates are in operation on the city side.

For a city centre station after 1900hr the place is isolated of staff, a part from dispatchers on P2 and 3.

NX

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I think the thread title covers the station, the city, the environs, everything.

I agree. Making exiting Newport station as difficult and confusing as possible is just saving them from the horrors that lie beyond.

davetheguard

Established Member
As well as the frankly uninspiring modern footbridge plonked down on one end of a previously reasonably attractive GWR station (albeit one formerly in dire need of a bit of redecoration, repair, and general TLC), one of the main drawbacks at Newport appears to be the lack of communication between FGW and ATW staff.

The last time I changed there was during a journey on what should have been a direct Cardiff to Paddington train. However, due to late running in the down direction, it was turned round at Newport, with people from Cardiff being put on a 158 to connect with it at Newport. All fine & reasonable until we got to Newport station.

Getting off the 158, there was no advice about where to go either in the form of an announcement, or visible station staff. The only Paddington train described on the platform monitor screen was from one side of the island platform. Up stairs and over footbridge, down stairs again - all carrying luggage.

I then saw an HST on the furthest platform beside what used to be the main entrance and ticket office. I asked a member of Arriva's staff on the island platform: "is that the London train?" Only to be met with: "you should have listened to the announcements, you won't catch it now" No empathy there then. Back up the stairs still with luggage, and over to the furthest platform, where I sprinted along the platform and threw myself on to the HST as whistles were blown and just before the doors were locked.

At no time was any announcement made between the arrival of the connecting 158 and the departure of the HST. The revised arrangements were not displayed on the screens. All it needed was one member of Arriva's staff to position themselves by the arriving 158 and to direct people to the London-bound HST. It didn't happen. Not our trains, guv.

Why does the railway sometimes shoot itself in the foot this way? You shouldn't have to know and recognise your train's rolling stock type to make the connection!

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
(A journey from Cardiff to Oldfield Park often suggests a change at Filton Abbey Wood. When in reality most of the time you would prefer the change at Bristol Temple Meads (more facilities there, more enclosed from the elements and the train you'd change onto at Filton will usually wait for 10 minutes at Bristol anyway).

That's because you are asking a Computer which is not designed to think

james60059

A couple of times a year when I go to Ireland I change at Newport (after travelling on an XC service from Birmingham New Street - Class 170) although the only reason why I do get off at Newport is to photograph 6B13 Robeston - Westerleigh tanks. Otherwise staying on until the end of the XC service at Cardiff I'd pass it en-route :).

That said, I've always had a Class 150 on the Fishguard service which - and this is only my opinion - is wholly inadequate for the "boat train" especially in the summer time (Oh the days of the 37/4's lol).

As for Newport, it's not my favourite station as such and the new footbridge isn't ideally placed especially if you need to make a quick change.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The Fishguard midday train is diagrammed for a 158 but often 150 worked depending on 158 availability and being in the right place at the right time to allocate to the Diagram.

The former footbridge at Newport is permanently closed.

richw

Veteran Member
I have a colleague who is from Newport (living and working in Cornwall). She often describes the whole city by your thread title!!

davetheguard

Established Member
The Fishguard midday train is diagrammed for a 158 but often 150 worked depending on 158 availability and being in the right place at the right time to allocate to the Diagram.

The former footbridge at Newport is permanently closed.

It was a 158 alright, complete with a trolley, when I caught it from Cardiff to Fishguard & Goodwick a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised; didn't it used to be booked for a 150?

It's a great trip, by the way. The journey out is via the line round the back of Landore depot (avoiding Swansea), and taking the Camarthen avoiding line too. The return working from Fishguard, after a turn-round of a few minutes, calls at Carmarthen station but takes the Swansea District Line to emerge back on the South Wales Main Line at Briton Ferry.

A recommended trip for any track bashers out there; and some good coastal scenery too! (And you get to go over the redoubled line through Gowerton.)

PeterY

Established Member
Finally, and this is nothing to do with the station, I know, but the maps outside defy all mapping conventions by having south at the top! I know the layout of the place and even I was confused trying to work out what was the matter with the map as it didn't look right at all!

QUOTE]

I struggle with maps that are up side down. North should always be at the top.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It was a 158 alright, complete with a trolley, when I caught it from Cardiff to Fishguard & Goodwick a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised; didn't it used to be booked for a 150?

It has been booked for a 150 in the past

It's a great trip, by the way. The journey out is via the line round the back of Landore depot (avoiding Swansea), and taking the Camarthen avoiding line too. The return working from Fishguard, after a turn-round of a few minutes, calls at Carmarthen station but takes the Swansea District Line to emerge back on the South Wales Main Line at Briton Ferry.

A recommended trip for any track bashers out there; and some good coastal scenery too! (And you get to go over the redoubled line through Gowerton.)

It has been booked for a 150 in the past.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
The existing building should never have been built, it's a joke, it's not just the passengers, the TOC hate it, the staff hate it. If they'd spent a smaller percentage of the budget on the existing station buildings and facilities the place could have been stunning.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I agree. Making exiting Newport station as difficult and confusing as possible is just saving them from the horrors that lie beyond.

Ooh, I don't know. I walked aroung Rhyl for the first time in years this week. :/ I'd far prefer to make another visit to Newport.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I struggle with maps that are up side down. North should always be at the top.

You definitely won't like this map in Hereford then... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.