• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newquay HST/Virgin ADEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

I know last year Virgin ADEXs were deployed during the late May BH, does anyone know will the same arrangement apply this year? As I will be down in the area that week (or August BH week)

Also I heard FGW will be introducing a daily Newquay service (when the new franchise starts) but I presume this won't be added until the new timetable in June.

As the Newquay HST is a must for this year's "FoSW 2006"

Any information gratefully recieved

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
I wouldn't count on anything....

Hopefully there will be soemthing. I remember the rover specials, Locos down to Devon. The good old days

metrocammel

Bonnie Prince Charlie said:
ive Heard top n tail 57s will be about this year

Really? I aint heard that gen? - but It would be good I suppose. Though over the years, I've heard many amounts "optomistic" gen, most of which never materialises.

We'll all have to wait & see what happens regarding the Summer Saturday work this year... but as long as theres some sort of LHCS (including HSTs!). Top & Tailed 47's would be nice!!! , or even better top & tailed 37's!!!!LOL!

Sprog

Established Member
metrocammel said:
Really? I aint heard that gen? - but It would be good I suppose. Though over the years, I've heard many amounts "optomistic" gen, most of which never materialises.

Also known as Fiction!..............:lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Bull***t, tall tales...

Newquay HSTs, a must! Everyone remembers the problems encountered with 67s in 2004. MML have dumped a load of HSTs too (what a waste...), so there's got to be HSTs ready to run this summer!

As for T+T 57s, seeing as the 57s are as unreliable as Pacers at this moment, I doubt they'd risk it.

It's, unfortunately, a case of wait and see. Which is bloody annoying, as I'd like to know now...Still, I get T+T 47s on ADEXs this Sunday and for a good few weekends yet, so I'm still lucky not to live in D/E/DEMU-only country!

Coxster

Established Member
Bonnie Prince Charlie said:
ive Heard top n tail 57s will be about this year
It happened last year, albeit a short commuter run that four of us did.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It also happened on a Padd to Paignton run to displace a HST onto ADEX duties to Cardiff in late August 2005. Due to Southall's population being reduced (again), it was rather delayed. I'd have taken that to Paignton instead if I knew for fact I hadn't missed it (I didn't realise it was heavily delayed until later)!

57s will probably run some MK2 ADEXs down to Castle Cary for Glastonbury later this year though.

joy54.gen

FGWFan said:
Bull***t, tall tales...

Newquay HSTs, a must! Everyone remembers the problems encountered with 67s in 2004. MML have dumped a load of HSTs too (what a waste...), so there's got to be HSTs ready to run this summer!

As for T+T 57s, seeing as the 57s are as unreliable as Pacers at this moment, I doubt they'd risk it.

It's, unfortunately, a case of wait and see. Which is bloody annoying, as I'd like to know now...Still, I get T+T 47s on ADEXs this Sunday and for a good few weekends yet, so I'm still lucky not to live in D/E/DEMU-only country!
I haven't seen any gen on this, what trains will these be on this weekend?
--- edited ---
FGWFan said:
57s will probably run some MK2 ADEXs down to Castle Cary for Glastonbury later this year though.
Apparently Glastonbury isn't on this year, this is the break year to give the field they use to breathe for a year.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah, no Glastonbury. Damn, no 57 haulage for me this summer except perhaps on the Night Rivieria.

As for the 57s, it was LAST year. Everyone should have known it was on, it was posted on the forum at the time, and I do recall posting at the time I would try to do them. Whether they do them this year or not is another thing.

As for this weekend, it's rumoured NO ADEXs will be running. Couple of tours from Scotland, that's it.

EDIT: T+T 47s have been on crew training all this week on Canton to Crewe and vv runs. I've photted 805 and 843 on the NB return on Monday, with 805 and 847 on the SB run on Tuesday.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
as FGW state, NO daily HST service will run to newquay until further notice (couple of years or so) as the track quality is bad, but network rail will get onto it some date

ikar

heart-of-wessex said:
as FGW state, NO daily HST service will run to newquay until further notice (couple of years or so) as the track quality is bad, but network rail will get onto it some date

Aint the line closed 13 March to 17 March And 20 March to 24 March.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A good thing then, the track needed doing up in September 2005!

As for the daily service thing, it is supposed to happen this summer, but won't run all year due to the track condition. Sounds fair to me. Although they could just run the service as far as Par, bus or local service onwards to Newquay.

Status
Not open for further replies.