• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

News theatres at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
There used to be a News theatre at leeds by the entrance from the North concourse onto city square.
Went a few times with my dad. Cartoons and newsreel.

Dad said there used to be one at Waterloo Station (London)

Were there any others on stations? Any still in use?

I think they were all quite small.

Anybody else been to one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Several stations, including Waterloo, had News Theatres in them, or very close. I often used to use the one in the Strand close to Charing Cross Station when returning from a visit to the Science Museum at South Kensington, and had half an hour to kill before my train. It eventually was converted to showing sex films but after my regular visits to the Science Museum ended. It closed, I know not when, and was redeveloped.

wellhouse

I recall watching a Pathe News story about the introduction of the Boeing 747 at the Victoria News Theatre. That must have been around 1970.

It was by the Buckingham Palace Road exit.

WesternLancer

Established Member
My mum used to point the one at Waterloo out to me (or poss where it was) - that would be in the second half of the 1970s, she had used it in the past and explained to me, as a child, what it was.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
My mum used to point the one at Waterloo out to me (or poss where it was) - that would be in the second half of the 1970s, she had used it in the past and explained to me, as a child, what it was.
Up some stairs by platform 1 I think?

PeterC

Established Member
Certainly at the left hand end facing the platforms, I don't use the station often enough to remember the numbering. Victoria was upstairs by the Buckingham Palace Road exit.

Taunton

Established Member
They existed around city centres as well. A form of "passing the time" now gone, with people playing games on their iPhones instead. For those unfamiliar with them, a small cinema open all day which showed a continuous sequence (an hour or two) of short entertainments, cartoons, short features, and "news", which was more of a magazine style, although in earlier times like in WW2 they were a significant outlet for more important news on what was happening, and with no television the only means of showing moving pictures to the public. Major cinema chains like Rank had their own journalists and editors, who would put the news stories together, and a rapid distribution system (I believe they used to use the newspaper trains overnight) to rush that day's production of film reels around the country. Mainstream cinemas also used to put elements of the material out in between major films.

The BR Modernisation Plan works of the 1950s-60s were a regular subject for the short features, doubtless plugged by the BR PR department, many of which are now on YouTube. Look for Rank "Look at Life" (the series name) there and you can find things like the first 25Kv electrification. Here's a Terribly Decent chap reading the script

People paid the admission and went in and out as they liked. There was a soft-illuminated clock to one side of the screen. As it was dark inside, a staff member with a torch was meant to identify an empty seat and point the way with their light.

Last edited:

OneOffDave

In the Hitchcock version of "The Lady Vanishes", towards the end of the film you can see the signs to the one at Victoria

WesternLancer

Established Member
That sounds likely - I recall my mum pointing up at an area that was clearly not at ground level.

Londonist states:

https://londonist.com/2016/05/secrets-of-waterloo
There used to be a cinema there
In 1934, the Waterloo News Cinema opened on the concourse of Waterloo station, next to what is now platform 1. A similar cinema had opened at Victoria station the year before. News bulletins were shown on a loop throughout the day, with cartoons shown in later years. In the 1960s it was renamed the Classic Cinema Waterloo, and screened old Hollywood classics. The Waterloo cinema closed in 1970 but wasn't demolished until 1988.

The film London Terminus shows a couple visiting the cinema. This is what the cinema looked like.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Great, the above links and pics confirms my memory of where the stairs to the Waterloo cinema were, but what I can’t work out is where the actual auditorium was. Was it at the end of the main office block, or could it have been outside the station building, above the present cab road?
^^^
I posted too soon. Have now searched On NLS old OS maps, I’ve found that yes the cinema was a box shaped structure above the cab road, basically on the other side of the wall where the stairs were.

Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
There was a news theatre effectively adjacent to Birmingham New Street, on the opposite side of Station Street. Popular with rail passengers. Still exists as ‘The Electric’, supposedly one of the oldest purpose built cinemas in Britain. It had a spell as an ‘adult’ cinema too, the Jacey (after owner’s initials, JC).

Status
Not open for further replies.