• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newton Abbeywood on FGW 153 destination blinds

Status
Not open for further replies.

plymothian

This is bugging me, but why do FGW's 153s have a destination of Newton Abbeywood on the blind?

Where is, or indeed what is, Newton Abbeywood? As far as I can see there's no such place.

It's not even a misprint of Filton Abbey Wood, as it comes after Manchester Piccadilly and before Newton Abbot, and FIT is show as just Filton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Possibly a case of miscommunication when the blinds were produced, with Filton Abbey Wood being mis-spelt as Newton Abbeywood, or possibly some confusion between Filton Abbey Wood and Newton Abbot.

Pigeon

It's the sMe as Abbottswood; after Abbottswood junction

But there isn't a station there... they've been talking about it for years, but nothing has actually happened yet... Which is a good thing, IMO. They claim it will "improve services to Worcester" which it obviously won't since it isn't actually in Worcester, but several miles outside it; AFAIK nearly all TOCs wouldn't want to stop there anyway; and as far as I can make out if it does go ahead the effect on services which do go to Worcester itself will be either zero or negative.

Slightly off topic but something that has always puzzled me is that the destination blinds on sprinters and pacers list stations alphabetically. I almost felt sorry for crews who worked Shrewsbury - Aberystwyth given how far apart A and S are. To me it would have made more sense for the order to be Aberystwyth, Shrewsbury, New Street, Chester which is similar to how we had then on the buses

Status
Not open for further replies.