• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newton Abbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffer68

Can anyone help please. I have recently moved to the Newton Abbot area of Devon and would like to know of any freight workings especially if there are any in the evening - days/times would be great. I work Mon - Fri daytime finishing work about 5:30pm. I look at SWRG gen but it doesn't always help round Newton, which incidentally is a lovely station.

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Hackney Yard would be you best bet but i dont know of timings sorry also Timber train comes down on a tuesday and returns north on wednesday it stables overnight in the Station

Drsatan

Established Member
There's also the odd china clay train to Burngullow, and every now and then there's a tanker train to Long Rock depot. I can't give you any times of when they run, sorry.

Zoe

Established Member
That site does not show any freight or charter timings.

Freightmaster

Established Member
...would like to know of any freight workings especially if there are any in the evening - ... I work Mon - Fri daytime finishing work about 5:30pm.
Luckily for you, almost all of the regulat freight workings
which pass Newton Abbot do so in the evening! :)

Dawlish is the nearest Freightmaster timetable - if you don't
want to subscribe to FMonline, you can have that timetable
for a one off payment of £5 if you wish...

MARK

brillopad

I used to see the Timber train going up past Starcross on a Wednesday mid afternoon.

Buffer68

Not any more anyway, it did once <D

DB Schenker oil train should come through about 18:30 on Tuesdays I think.

Might just nip down there tonight after work then - will let you know what I see.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks for the help guys. Love spending time at Newton Abbot station - this will all help.

Buffer68

Hackney Yard would be you best bet but i dont know of timings sorry also Timber train comes down on a tuesday and returns north on wednesday it stables overnight in the Station

Hackney yard looks tricky to get to on Google maps - is there a way of seeing what's there?

class57basher

trains at hakney yard come down to Newton Abbot to run round. you can go down to the quay and you might be able to see some bits. Only way I photograph stuff in hackney yard is out the window of a hst.

Oil train on a tuesday evening between 1810-1830ish, logs usually run down on a tuesday afternooon and go back on a wednesday afternoon but the 66 is stabled in platform 9 at newton abbot.

there is a thursday night train up through newton abbot about 1840ish with the fuel wagon and clay wagons and the ADJ-St Blazey light engine thursday night about 2015ish.

there is usually a fair few railtours in the summer and newton abbot has a fair few spots and I am sure I will bump into around newton abbot station at such time

Buffer68

Yep, the oil train duly came through last night at 18:30 and then about an hour later 43136/186 HST came through - the latter being the Jubilee liveried power car. Thanks class57basher for your info - hope to meet up sometime.

Freightmaster

Established Member
logs usually run down on a tuesday afternooon and go back on a wednesday afternoon...
The log train is running Wed/Thurs this week
(seems to be the usual pattern now)

MARK

noddy1878

Established Member
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it but there is the sand train to burngullow which runs when required I think. Tends to be a Monday morning down and evening up but due to weight restrictions it splits at hackney and is run in two bits. I haven't seen it for ages but I'm always at work then.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Tim what time would it pass TVP ??

About 17:00 I think.

It stays at EXD for about 45 minutes though, so if you want to get good close up pictures of a 66, I'd suggest seeing it there.

You can get a good thrash video when it departs too.

Established Member
Ahhh cool i must have just missed it last week then :@

I am planning a good few hours at TVP tomorrow afternoon as downtime after my exam in the morning :)

Temple Meads

Established Member
Ahhh cool i must have just missed it last week then :@

I am planning a good few hours at TVP tomorrow afternoon as downtime after my exam in the morning :)

I might be going to TVP at some point during the afternoon too :)

Zoe

Established Member
It's where the Motorail train which ran until the early 1990s terminated. There cars could be loaded and unloaded.
I'm not sure it ran until the early 1990s, the area was resignalled and rationalized in the 1980s. It would have been called platform 9 as I believe each of the through platforms were split into two and so numbered 1 to 8.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.