• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newton-Le-Willows to Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.

joke2711

Hi

Had an interesting scenario yesterday.
Arrived at Newton-Le-Willows to travel to Chester with 5 minutes until departure.
There was a queue at the ticket office so headed for a ticket machine and on the main display (most common journeys) there was a box for Chester Off Peak Return.
Selected and paid for tickets and boarded the Transport for Wales train.
There was no ticket check on the outbound.
On returning there was a ticket check where I was told my tickets were not valid. On inspection of said tickets it says Northern Trains only.
Train Manager was fine and fortunately didn't take the matter any further when I explained what I had selected.
Whilst I accept responsibility for not reading the T&Cs properly .. its worth noting that a Northern Ticket machine will sell you an Off Peak Day return, Valid on Northern Trains only, on the one day that Northern don't operate any services on the route ....

I have attached the tickets below ..

Attachments

• SKM_C36820020312230.pdf
    40.3 KB · Views: 55
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I assume the button didn't say "Northern Only" and it didn't invite you to choose outward and return trains?
In which case adding your complaint to the pile Northern are dealing with would be worth it. The "most popular fares" screen is a good idea in theory but often works badly.

joke2711

I assume the button didn't say "Northern Only" and it didn't invite you to choose outward and return trains?
In which case adding your complaint to the pile Northern are dealing with would be worth it. The "most popular fares" screen is a good idea in theory but often works badly.

If it did .. it didn't jump out at me ... but selling you a ticket for a service that doesn't exist is beyond comprehension.

Rail Ranger

Always best to check the fares on www.brfares.com beforehand. You would then have known the price of the inter-available off-peak day return (I know you shouldn't have to do this).

JBuchananGB

I looked at the train running times today, and noticed that for 50 minutes in every hour, the next train to arrive will be the Transport for Wales service. So if that TVM is prominently selling the Northern Only ticket, it will be the wrong one most of the time!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I looked at the train running times today, and noticed that for 50 minutes in every hour, the next train to arrive will be the Transport for Wales service. So if that TVM is prominently selling the Northern Only ticket, it will be the wrong one most of the time!

Yes, they do rather chase each other westbound from Ordsall Lane.
Better spaced eastbound from Chester.

Llandudno

Established Member
What hope of 90% of the population got, most people still don’t know the difference between the various operators and understandably for mundane, local journeys just buy the first ticket they see on the screen.

miami

Established Member
What hope of 90% of the population got, most people still don’t know the difference between the various operators and understandably for mundane, local journeys just buy the first ticket they see on the screen.

Only solution would seem to be to remove the "X Toc only" tickets and only have the more expensive "any toc" tickets. If you hide the "X toc only" tickets, then you're hiding the cheaper tickets. If you put them all equally prominent you're confusing people.

joke2711

Only solution would seem to be to remove the "X Toc only" tickets and only have the more expensive "any toc" tickets. If you hide the "X toc only" tickets, then you're hiding the cheaper tickets. If you put them all equally prominent you're confusing people.

However on the day in question there was only one operator running, so having prominent tickets displayed for services that you cannot catch seems stupid beyond belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.