• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newton-Le-Willows to Manchester train commute

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosieHW

Hi all,

My partner and I are planning to move to Newton-Le-Willows once everything is back to normal, and I would be working in Manchester City centre. Could anyone advise please what the commuter train is like on weekday mornings- is it busy? Would I be likely to get a seat getting on the train at Newton-Le-Willows around 7.30-8am on weekday mornings?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Josie

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Hi all,

My partner and I are planning to move to Newton-Le-Willows once everything is back to normal, and I would be working in Manchester City centre. Could anyone advise please what the commuter train is like on weekday mornings- is it busy? Would I be likely to get a seat getting on the train at Newton-Le-Willows around 7.30-8am on weekday mornings?

Josie
My experience is more with the other Liverpool-Manchester line but I'd say you'd be extremely lucky to get a seat.

When we used to have 6 car TPE trains on our line, you wouldn't get a seat East of Warrington. If it was short formed you couldn't even get on.

Statto

Established Member
When things return to normal Liverpool-Manchester is extremely busy given the TPE takes around 35 minutes, however with the new trains rolling out on TPE you might get lucky, Newton Le Willows-Manchester only takes around 15-20 minutes so you wont be standing for that long if you have to anyway.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Not sure about the morning, but when returning home in late afternoon, avoid Manchester Oxford Road. You have a better chance of getting a seat at Piccadilly. Alternatively, use one of the (few) peak hour stopping trains from Manchester Victoria to Liverpool.

DRG

Newton-le-Willows is a popular commuter station into Manchester. To Oxford Road Station it’s only 18 minutes and, with free parking people drive to the station from the surrounding towns. Pre Covid-19 it was a regular trip for me. Arriving at 0730 you will struggle to get a parking spot and pre the new trains, it was standing room only however, with the new trains coming on stream, you might be ok.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Anything into Manchester is crowded - trains, trams, roads. Hardly a surprise with 3/4-car units with rarely anything more, sometimes less. Six would help, 8 would be a miracle (and I know the platform problems).

Established Member
Excellent Park & Ride opportunity at NLW, major new expanded car park opened recently.... Waiting areas greatly improved, better passenger information and much better ticket office downstairs. The journey into Manchester is quick, perhaps 15-18 minutes with a good run.

urbophile

Established Member
Much better train service from N le W to Manchester compared with that to Liverpool, despite it being in Merseyside (and the new station funded by Merseytravel).

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Not sure about the morning, but when returning home in late afternoon, avoid Manchester Oxford Road. You have a better chance of getting a seat at Piccadilly. Alternatively, use one of the (few) peak hour stopping trains from Manchester Victoria to Liverpool.
TPE trains now run through Victoria rather than Piccadilly/Oxford Road. Might that make Victoria the best station to start from?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Pre-Covid 19 the opportunity to get both a car parking space and a seat on the train would be very limited. You'd probably need to arrive for very early services to do so.

Whatever happens in the new world will probably be quite different, but it's almost impossible to predict this because it depends on levels of demand as well as what timetables are planned.

DRG

Pre Covid 19 the “new” 400 space free car park was full at 7.30am Unless your disabled or have an electric car. Plenty of each available all day.
Park outside of the allocated lines and you’ll come back to a ticket.

The TPE Liverpool service has a non stop train that does it in 20 mins, the same as the Manchester’s and the 0730 is only ever 1/2 full.

Established Member
Pre Covid 19 the “new” 400 space free car park was full at 7.30am Unless your disabled or have an electric car. Plenty of each available all day.
Park outside of the allocated lines and you’ll come back to a ticket.

The TPE Liverpool service has a non stop train that does it in 20 mins, the same as the Manchester’s and the 0730 is only ever 1/2 full.
It was busy this morning. First time I've not had the car park to myself since lockdown! Handy while I'm temporarily doing this commute though.

Attachments

• 20200427_065223.jpg
    20200427_065223.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Hi all,

Josie

Coming from Upminster you should find folks a lot friendlier, the weather marginally cooler especially in summer (winters are bad in almost the entire UK) but a tad wetter and trains I really don't know since, like others have already posted, nobody knows what will happen post-COVID-19!

Dibuzz

My son does the same commute, trains are standing room only and the car park is full before 7am.
Locals don't take kindly to parking in nearby streets.

FishUK

I know I'm late to the party, but I commute into Manchester from Earlestown (the town's other station). I can reliably get a seat with an exception of the 17:28 return leg out of Deansgate. In the morning it is generally fine unless the service is short-formed, but I can't promise the same from Newton - especially if the TPE service is AWOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.