• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newton-le-Willows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plethora

I'm curious about what the rationale is for having so many semi-fast callers at NlW.

I've just joined a TFW service at Earlestown. I changed from a Liverpool to Warrington service at the station. I get onto the usual tatty Class 175, and before we even leave the station the train manager is announcing for Newton. This seems a bit pointless on what is supposed to be a semi-fast service.

If you were to choose between Earlestown and Newton then Earlestown would be the obvious choice as it has a higher degree of interconnectivity combined with more platform space. I see no reason why the TFW services (and therefore by extension the TPE services) should stop at Newton when there are now 2TPH Northern services calling at all stations.

My current theory is that it might have to do with the lack of adequate wheelchair access at Earlestown. Is there another reason?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Senex

Established Member
I don't see the reason why supposed inter-city services (TPE) stop at all between Liverpool and Manchester on what is already a slow run between cities only 30 miles apart. Semi-fasts stopping at both Earlestown and Newton-le-Willows seems really odd, though I'd have thought for those (despite what you say) that Newton-le-Willows was actually the better stop.

I could be wrong but isn't Newton classed as a major park and ride? There is a large (fee I believe) car park adjacent to the station facilitating commuters etc that couldn't have been constructed at Earlestown.

TBSchenker

Earlestown is actually nearer Newton-le-Willows town centre than Newton-le-Willows station is. Earlestown is a convenient stop for TfW as I presume the low line speed for the curve negates a 1minute dwell time, whereas Newton-le-Willows is a preferred station (as mentioned above) for P&R, and also TPE would be penalised twice for stopping so close to each other. Newton-le-Willows is also a preferred same platform interchange whereas Earlestown is different platforms.

As for TPE stopping, don't forget they previously stopped at Warrington Central when they ran on the Cheshire Lines. Now they run on the Chat Moss they still need to cater for the travellers around the area. Newton-Le-Willows for the Newcastle services and Lea Green for the Scarborough services.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Newton le Willows has a new set of station buildings (the old ones are now closed), together with lifts and a large new car park/bus interchange.
Earlestown is devoid of any of that.
Oddly, the new Chester-Leeds service calls at both stations, but not anywhere between Warrington and Chester (off peak at least).
There's the Calder Valley-Liverpool service to come, stopping pattern uncertain.

A journey on the CLC route, however, reminds you of how much busier Liverpool South Parkway and Warrington Central are than any of the alternative Chat Moss stations.

KevinTurvey

Newton le Willows is really quite busy in the morning and evening peak, as is Lea Green these being the 2 major stations along the route with big car parks. A lot of people choose this station as an alternative to the complete hell that is driving into Manchester or Leeds or Liverpool.

urbophile

Established Member
Earlestown is actually nearer Newton-le-Willows town centre than Newton-le-Willows station is.
How do you define N-le-W town centre? If you mean the High Street (if that's what it's called) it is only five minutes walk from N-le-W station and a bus ride from Earlestown.

I don't know what the new timetable is like, but until last week at least the train service was lamentable. Two trains an hour from Liverpool, one fast and one slow, within five minutes or so of each other. It just shows how much of a raw deal those bits of Merseyside not served by Merseyrail get. Admittedly it gets a slightly better service from Manchester despite not being in GM.

Bovverboy

Established Member
I'm curious about what the rationale is for having so many semi-fast callers at NlW.

With the addition of the Chester-Leeds service Newton-le-Willows now has, for most of the day, four trains per hour each way instead of three. However, with a patronage of 941,753 (ORR's 2017-8 figures) it is still, relative to patronage, the most under-served station on the Chat Moss line.

driver_m

Established Member
Simple reason is that NLW serves a wide catchment area that the expanded car park and bus station can take advantage of. I know of some of my colleagues who lived in either Wigan or Leigh who would travel here to go into Manchester because of the sheer awfulness of trying to drove down either the East Lancs Road (A580) or M602. Add North Warrington, St Helens, Golborne/Ashton/Haydock into the mix too which don’t well serve Manchester by public transport and you’ll find your answer as to why it’s used so well. Earlestown is by far the less affluent area to Newton and has a rougher feel to it which may well put people off using that station.

Status
Not open for further replies.