• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Next Labour Leader - Confirmed as Keir Starmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
The only way Corbyn will go is if the moderates can pull off a successful coup, there is no way he will just go as the hard left will make sure of it which is why Labour have handed the Conservatives another decade easily of power.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ferret

Established Member
The only way Corbyn will go is if the moderates can pull off a successful coup, there is no way he will just go as the hard left will make sure of it which is why Labour have handed the Conservatives another decade easily of power.

If Corbyn had the best interests of the Labour Party at heart, he’d have gone the morning after he’d gifted Johnson an 80 seat majority. The PLP could’ve nominated a spokesperson to lead in Parliament while a leader was chosen. You have to ask yourself why he is still clinging on?

TrafficEng

If Corbyn had the best interests of the Labour Party at heart, he’d have gone the morning after he’d gifted Johnson an 80 seat majority. The PLP could’ve nominated a spokesperson to lead in Parliament while a leader was chosen. You have to ask yourself why he is still clinging on?

Because he didn't lose the election, it was stolen from him, and his duty is to rally the troops in continued 'resistance'?

bramling

Veteran Member
Because he didn't lose the election, it was stolen from him, and his duty is to rally the troops in continued 'resistance'?

Indeed. The silly youngsters think the result was some kind of “mistake”, and that if they whinge enough (on social media perhaps?!) then it can somehow be “remedied”.

The self-same attitude which ultimately made us the laughing stock of Europe for much of last year over a certain other issue. I remember waking up to similar sentiments after the EU referendum - before the dust had even settled social media was full of “we don’t have to tolerate this result”.

It is unbelievable really that Corbyn didn’t properly resign the morning after the election, given the scale of the defeat.

TrafficEng

I presume that isn’t your personal opinion? :D

Me? I'm his number 1 fan. ;)

Opinion?! It's the self-evident truth comrade! :lol:

So true comrade. You too have clearly been blessed by the wisdom the Great Leader has spoken.

The self-same attitude which ultimately made us the laughing stock of Europe for much of last year over a certain other issue. I remember waking up to similar sentiments after the EU referendum - before the dust had even settled social media was full of “we don’t have to tolerate this result”.

On the plus side this time they don't need to devote their energies to campaigning for a second vote. They are assured of one in a little over four years time.

It is unbelievable really that Corbyn didn’t properly resign the morning after the election, given the scale of the defeat.

In one sense it is unbelievable. But then if Corbynism/Momentumism wasn't so twisted that it could justifiably be written up as some form of epilogue to Animal Farm, he would have resigned the day (28 June 2016) the PLP overwhelmingly declared they did not have confidence in him.

Ferret

Established Member
Opinion?! It's the self-evident truth comrade! :lol:

Hehe, you’ve just alluded to one of my pet hates, when it’s done in seriousness. The likes of Clive Lewis ending his tweets to Communist sycophants with the word ‘comrade’ is ****ing embarrassing. They’re meant to be serious politicians, not students in the 6th form.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

To be fair, there was possibly some grounds for staying on. There has been concern in Labour, that the last two times a leader resigned straight after the election (Brown then Miliband), the result was the party being bounced unprepared into a leadership contest when many people felt more time for discussion would have been better.

TrafficEng

To be fair, there was possibly some grounds for staying on. There has been concern in Labour, that the last two times a leader resigned straight after the election (Brown then Miliband), the result was the party being bounced unprepared into a leadership contest when many people felt more time for discussion would have been better.

You make a good point, but is there a need for Corbyn to stay in place while that discussion and reflection happens? What about other options such as an interim leader, something Labour has done in the past?

In the same way people were suggesting Ken Clarke could be an interim Prime Minister to sort Brexit out, how about Harriet Harman (Mother of the House) as the interim leader to sort Labour out? (she has the skills and past experience). But then again, perhaps not.

bramling

Veteran Member
In one sense it is unbelievable. But then if Corbynism/Momentumism wasn't so twisted that it could justifiably be written up as some form of epilogue to Animal Farm, he would have resigned the day (28 June 2016) the PLP overwhelmingly declared they did not have confidence in him.

Yes quite so. That alone is ridiculous, that a party leader is completely out of step with his MPs.

The only reason he did slightly less badly than expected in 2017 was because of May’s car-crash of a campaign and her clumsy matter in public.

Ferret

Established Member

What the hell is there, that is worthy of discussion? The Labour Party was trounced, humiliated. Everyone knew Labour were going to lose the election, and so the party was more than expecting a leadership election. Face facts; Corbyn has stuck around to try to enable an orderly succession to a fellow Communist, or to stay on himself if that looks like it isn’t going to be possible.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
You make a good point, but is there a need for Corbyn to stay in place while that discussion and reflection happens? What about other options such as an interim leader, something Labour has done in the past?

I'm pretty sure you can't just randomly appoint anyone to be an interim leader. I'm not sure the precise rules are for Labour - but there will certainly be rules to be followed about who it can be. I would imagine the normal thing would be for the deputy leader to step in as interim leader, but unfortunately the deputy leader was Tom Watson, who resigned the position at the start of the election campaign, didn't stand again as an MP.

In the same way people were suggesting Ken Clarke could be an interim Prime Minister to sort Brexit out, how about Harriet Harman (Mother of the House) as the interim leader to sort Labour out? (she has the skills and past experience). But then again, perhaps not.

That was to be Prime Minister. There are no elections to be Prime Minister, it's just whoever can command the support of the majority of MPs. It's a bit different with the leader of a party, who is supposed to be elected at an election in which all party members can vote.

Ferret

Established Member
For those so inclined, there is a change.org petition for Corbyn to stay on as leader. Reports that it was set up by James Cleverly are I’m sure entirely inaccurate! :lol:

TrafficEng

Yes quite so. That alone is ridiculous, that a party leader is completely out of step with his MPs.

Meanwhile the stabbing to death of a delivery rider in London is an opportunity for Corbyn to complain about zero hours contracts and the gig economy - with the focus on that, rather than the more pertinent point of people going around London armed with knives.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50988434

Does he believe employees with full-time permanent contracts are somehow exempt from being attacked by other people who have very little respect for or empathy with any of the human beings they come into contact with?

Yet another example of Corbyn allowing his protest narrative to get in the way of identifying and dealing with what matters to real people.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The reason Corbyn stays on is almost entirely due to internal machinations within the Labour party, which will reinforce the dominance of the hard Left at the heart of the party prior to any leadership election, and may well have an influence on how it's conducted. Seumas Milne, Andrew Murray and their unelected like are running the show, Corbyn merely the puppet as he has always been: they are almost as corrosive to public life as the equally odious Dominic Cummings. McDonnell at least knows his time is up, and in coded language has told Corbyn he should go.Long-Bailey is McDonnell's protege, but Milne et al may go with her too if they think she can be bent to their will. She's a lot more intelligent than Corbyn (not too difficult) but her candidacy is not totally assured as yet.

TrafficEng

I'm pretty sure you can't just randomly appoint anyone to be an interim leader. I'm not sure the precise rules are for Labour - but there will certainly be rules to be followed about who it can be. I would imagine the normal thing would be for the deputy leader to step in as interim leader, but unfortunately the deputy leader was Tom Watson, who resigned the position at the start of the election campaign, didn't stand again as an MP.

That surely sums up the Labour problem. Its method of electing the leader and deputy are unfathomable to the majority, and is too slow to react to events. What, for example, if the Leader and Deputy Leader were both taken out of action due to a car crash? (by that I don't mean the recent General Election)

Do they have a deputy deputy leader, or does the country have to wait months while the membership appoint a new one?

That was to be Prime Minister. There are no elections to be Prime Minister, it's just whoever can command the support of the majority of MPs. It's a bit different with the leader of a party, who is supposed to be elected at an election in which all party members can vote.

I think my point may have been missed here. It is almost as unrealistic to imagine one faction of Labour could impose their choice of interim leader as it was for one side of the Brexit debate to imagine they could impose their own choice of PM (who by constitutional law is PM, not an 'interim' PM).

nlogax

Established Member
Do they have a deputy deputy leader, or does the country have to wait months while the membership appoint a new one?

No deputy appointed since Tom Watson stepped down last month. He did well to last that long in spite of the insane Jon Lansman & Momentum attempt to scrap the post entirely.

Aictos

Established Member

Indeed, while he should have gone immediately we should look at John Major who despite giving giving Labour their biggest ever election win in decades in 1997 didn’t step down as leader of the Conservative Party straight away but reminded in place until after the leadership contest to elect a new leader for the Conservatives.

Now if it was anyone else, I would have said they should stay on and manage the party until a successor is elected but due to the fact that it’s Corbyn and that he’s unsuitable as leader with hard left policies that won’t win any elections I think Corbyn should have held his hands up like McDonnell and said I hold full responsibility and leave his position as leader of the Labour Party.

The Labour Party in my eyes is no longer the Labour Party I once knew, it’s policies are too far left and don’t represent the Labour Party anymore if anything they might as well merge with the UK Communist Party.

The only way Labour will succeed post Corbyn is if a moderate takes power but course Pro Corbynites will deny that.

notabasher

As has Jess Phillips.

Phillips either needs take elocution lessons or stop affecting that ridiculous accent. Eddie Hughes (Tory MP for Walsall North) has a much more proletarian background, a similar education, and can talk like a normal person. If she wants to have some sort of regional credibility watch videos of Claire Short speaking. Or even "Aynock" Powell with his brummie-flavoured RP.

As for her sense of style...

notabasher

Initially I was against Starmer but him and Phillips are top 2 for me. He did advocate for Labour to become a remain party, and, if listened to, would've cost us even more seats, but in the end he presents himself as a statesman and a leader, if a little bland at times, but what we need is someone non controversial who can lead.

A lot of the leave-voters aren't going back to Labour, for all sorts of reasons. No-one interpreted Labour's position at the last election as anything other than remain anyway.

s'land

Keir Starmer is the sort of Labour politician I used to be wary of (not only a lawyer, but a human rights lawyer), but given he is just about the only candidate for the leader's job who has any sort of real-life success, I don't see who else can be effective as party leader.

The alternatives: Lady Nugee, Titania McGrath lookalike Rebecca Wrong-Daily, 30-something grandmother Angela Rayner, thick-as-two-short planks Burgon; are truly horrifying.

I think Labour are going to have to accept that they are pretty much done for the time being in the Midlands outside the big cities (Mansfield is staying blue now), and in many of the northern seats they lost (and trends may see them lose in places like Hartlepool and Sunderland given time).
If places like Sunderland (any one of it's three MP's is certainly possible) swing to the Tories It will be for complex reasons, your argument about big cities staying loyal to Labour with Universities and teaching hospitals is flawed as Sunderland certainly is not a small city (a population just short of 300,000) and has an University and teaching hospitals.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Phillips either needs take elocution lessons or stop affecting that ridiculous accent. Eddie Hughes (Tory MP for Walsall North) has a much more proletarian background, a similar education, and can talk like a normal person. If she wants to have some sort of regional credibility watch videos of Claire Short speaking. Or even "Aynock" Powell with his brummie-flavoured RP.

As for her sense of style...
She's just got a very strong Brummie accent, just as Rayner has a very strong Manc accent.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Timetable for Labour leadership contest
And here are the details of the timetable for the Labour leadership election decided by the NEC.

Tuesday 7 January: Nominations open from MPs and MEPs.
Monday 13 January: Nominations from MPs and MEPs closes at 2.30pm.
Tuesday 14 January: Registered supporters applications open at 5pm.
Thursday 16 January: Registered supporters applications close at 5pm.
Wednesday 15 January: Second stage of nominations from constituency Labour parties and affiliates opens.
Monday 20 January: Freeze date for eligibility for new members and affiliated supporters, closes at 5pm.
Friday 14 February: Close of CLP and affiliate nominations.
Friday 21 February: Ballot opens.
Thursday 2 April: Ballot closes at 12pm.
Saturday 4 April: Special conference to announce results.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rty-backing-remain-at-next-election-live-news

Quote taken from the Guardian. Timetable for the Labour Leadership contest.

notabasher

?

From this perspective Labour's position on Brexit was a complete mystery to voters - and Labour members.

It was a transparent hedge to try to keep enough remain and leave voters on-side. The proposal to have a second referendum between "remain" and "not-leaving" would have been utterly destructive to civic society - remainers would have boycotted it and the issue would continue dragging on - but I suppose it would have been Labour's starting point for a bipartisan way of parliament fiddling out of leaving the EU in an event of a hung-parliament.

notabasher

She's just got a very strong Brummie accent, just as Rayner has a very strong Manc accent.

She is middle-aged, utterly middle-class with an education at grammar school and a Russell Group University. I'm of a similar age and I can't think of anyone I have ever met with that sort of background so completly unable to talk properly.

notabasher

If places like Sunderland (any one of it's three MP's is certainly possible) swing to the Tories It will be for complex reasons, your argument about big cities staying loyal to Labour with Universities and teaching hospitals is flawed as Sunderland certainly is not a small city (a population just short of 300,000) and has an University and teaching hospitals.

Sunderland isn't a big city, it is a medium sized town which is part of a larger metropolitain borough (of the same name), which includes other towns such as Washington (hence large population). It's univeristy is a low-rated former polytechnic.

Whilst its soccer team has a rivalry with Newcastle United, as a place it is akin to Bolton/Bury, or Black Country Towns like Walsall or Dudley. I.e. a town, with very much a town atmosphere; and a culture (and accent!) quite disctinct from the nearby big city.

Status
Not open for further replies.