• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NI Health minister advocates prison for repeated covid offenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

NI health minister now advocating prison for restriction offenders.

Health Minister, Robin Swann, said he is open minded about sending to prison those people who repeatedly breach Covid-19 legislation.
The potential for custodial sentences for repeat offenders has come about after a district judge criticised the current Covid-19 legislation as it did not provide him with the option of imposing jail sentences on two people who have consistently breach the regulations.
Minister Swann said he thought potential custodial sentences could be “proportionate” and committed to raising the issue at the next meeting of the Northern Ireland Executive.

I can't believe what I'm reading. I would of assumed that a minister in NI would be all to aware of the effects heavy handed policing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kristiang85

Established Member
Well, it's not much different from what people are experiencing anyway. You'll probably be allowed more exercise and you won't have to pay for your meals.

Trackman

Established Member
Well it's not going to solve anything or be a deterrent.
TBH, a lot of people would prefer a few weeks in prison rather than forking out for a hefty fine.

102 fan

Well it's not going to solve anything or be a deterrent.
TBH, a lot of people would prefer a few weeks in prison rather than forking out for a hefty fine.

It's the political situation here which makes it difficult. It doesn't take much for unrest on one side if the other is perceived to be getting less.

DB

'Coronavirus NI - Robin Swann to look at jail time for repeat Covid-19 offenders'

I can't believe what I'm reading. I would of assumed that a minister in NI would be all to aware of the effects heavy handed policing.

Minister Swann said he thought potential custodial sentences could be “proportionate” and committed to raising the issue at the next meeting of the Northern Ireland Executive.

It does show how far down the path of authoritarianism we have headed if it's judged 'proportionate' to send someone ignoring rules which have no proven benefit overall anyway to prison.

PeterY

Established Member
Things just get sillier and sillier. Probably catch COVID in prison.

Freightmaster

Established Member

Robin Swann earlier:
620e398761442eee86d00eab52a812d2.jpg

(image is a still from the 'straight to jail' scene in Parks and Rec)

MARK

Carlisle

Established Member
It's the political situation here which makes it difficult. It doesn't take much for unrest on one side if the other is perceived to be getting less.
Has Northern Ireland been under greater pressure than other UK nations to adopt longer & more stringent lockdowns, given how keenly the Irish Republic has embraced that strategy from the beginning ?

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
Things just get sillier and sillier. Probably catch COVID in prison.

I’m already at the stage of wishing I could properly hibernate for a while.

Every time we see something silly, something or someone appears in short order which trumps it.

One thing the government has managed to do well, albeit probably more by accident than design, is setting people against each other. It’s very convenient as while we’re all blaming each other, we’re not blaming the government. It’s interesting that not one UK politician in this country (AFAICR) has attempted to lay any blame on China! Trump sort of did, but only in an indirect way.

bangor-toad

I think that there's some context that's not been picked up on...

From what I can see there was a Court hearing where someone was fined, again, for holding a house party. The person in question had previously told the Court that they would not pay any attention to the law and would continue to host parties, breaching the NI rules.
The Judge was exasperated and complained that the NI Executive had only included the power to fine in the law. They openly asked for it to be reviewed so that the Courts would have a custodial sanction for those who really, really won't follow the rules everyone else is under.

Robin Swann has listened to the Judge and said he will consider it.

Our local NI politicians are often not great but on this occasion I think that it's fair response to the stupidity of a very small number of individuals that just won't follow the rules.
Locked up for exercisng too far from your home? Of course that should not happen.
Having that possiblility after hosting your 10th party where you're caught? I think I would actually be in favour...

Mr Toad

brad465

Established Member
Just issuing more fining and/or putting more people in prison for crimes doesn't solve the underlying problems in society for non-Covid crimes so I don't see why it would solve them for Covid ones either (not that I support there being crimes for Covid). Educating society and providing important services that limit deprivation is usually the way to go about it.

DB

One thing the government has managed to do well, albeit probably more by accident than design, is setting people against each other. It’s very convenient as while we’re all blaming each other, we’re not blaming the government.

I dont' think that's by accident - it's intentional: the tried and tested divide and rule tactic.

Our local NI politicians are often not great but on this occasion I think that it's fair response to the stupidity of a very small number of individuals that just won't follow the rules.
Locked up for exercisng too far from your home? Of course that should not happen.
Having that possiblility after hosting your 10th party where you're caught? I think I would actually be in favour...

Afraid I disagree - these restrictions are excessive as they are, and it should not be made worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.