• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NI mileage help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Need some help with NI mileage, the routes being:

Belfast Great Victoria Street to Belfast Central
Belfast Central to Bangor
Belfast Central to Londonderry
Belfast Central to City Hospital
City Hospital to Portadown
Portadown to Newry
Lurgan to Portadown
Lurgan to Belfast GVS

All help most appreciated :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Newry-Portadown is 18mi 04ch according to Quail, however IIRC Newry station has been resited since, so that may be a bit off.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Lurgan-Portadown - 5 mi 29ch.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'll call it 18 miles for Newry to Portadown for now then, if I discover I need to change it then I will then.

Cheers for the swift reply :)

I T S

Belfast Great Victoria Street to Belfast Central - 1.75(P1/P4) or 1.80 (P2/P3)
Belfast Central to Bangor (12.57)
Belfast Central to Londonderry (94.17)
Belfast Central to City Hospital (1.25)
City Hospital to Portadown 27.55
Portadown to Newry 18.00
Lurgan to Portadown 5.25
Lurgan to Belfast GVS 21.80

89-763-733

belfast great victoria street to belfast central - 1.75(p1/p4) or 1.80 (p2/p3)
belfast central to bangor (12.57)
belfast central to londonderry (94.17)
belfast central to city hospital (1.25)
city hospital to portadown 27.55
portadown to newry 18.00
lurgan to portadown 5.25
lurgan to belfast gvs 21.80

GV 1 to Central 1.80

GV 2/3 to Central 1.82

GV 4 to Central 1.75

Central to Bangor 12.63

Central to Londonderry platform 1 94.17 94.16 platform 2

Central to City Hospital 1.12

City Hospital to Portadown depends on route avoiding GV it is 25.04

Portadown to Newry 18.05

Portadown to Lurgan 5.35

Lurgan to GVS 2/3 19.91

ITS has been using an older edition of the distances which has been corrected in the last two months with the aid of various reference books and internet measuring software

Central to Botanic is 0.78 by the way and Newry has never been resited. Portadown was in 1970

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Also using Quail, I'm struggling to work out the mileage from Yorkgate to Derry.

I can understand that after 26 chains the milepost changes, however what does it mean when later on it says "Mileage from Belfast (York Road) via Greenisland (reverse)"?

Is it correct to think that the statistic is worked out by following the route: York Road - Whiteabbey - Bleach Green Junction (4m62) - Jordanstown - Greenisland (6m55) (reverse) - Jordanstown - Bleach Green Junction (7m20) (reverse) - onwards to Antrim and Derry?

What does it mean by "Short Mile (-8 chains)" between Botanic and Central? I did have a conversation with some guy on my travels to NI last week who told me about the errors in milepost data, amongst other railway related things, but I didn't quite understand that bit.

Between Great Victoria Street (Platform 4) and City Hospital, I assume the mileage is worked out by the distance to Westlink Junction (27 chains), added to the length of Blythefield Curve (17 chains), and the distance between City Junction and City Hospital (12 chains), giving 56 chains in total. Is this correct?

Cheers.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
What does it mean by "Short Mile (-8 chains)" between Botanic and Central? I did have a conversation with some guy on my travels to NI last week who told me about the errors in milepost data, amongst other railway related things, but I didn't quite understand that bit.

You're looking I'm helping after what you called Londonderry ;)

It is basically a mileage calculation error, instead of counting the full mile, only count 72 chains and you'll be accurate.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You're looking I'm helping after what you called Londonderry ;)

It is basically a mileage calculation error, instead of counting the full mile, only count 72 chains and you'll be accurate.

OK. Londonderry. Doesn't make a bit of difference to me. I'm just lazy. :D

Is this an error only at one place or does it apply to every single mile on the island?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
So let me get this straight, City Hospital (112m27) to Central (113m35) is therefore not 1 mile 8 chains, but exactly 1 mile?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It looks that way!

Yorkgate-Londonderry (on BB so sorry for layout!):
0m26 + 4m62 + (95m32-7m20)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Cheers for that, Matt. That is very useful.

89-763-733

Also using Quail, I'm struggling to work out the mileage from Yorkgate to Derry.

I can understand that after 26 chains the milepost changes, however what does it mean when later on it says "Mileage from Belfast (York Road) via Greenisland (reverse)"?

Is it correct to think that the statistic is worked out by following the route: York Road - Whiteabbey - Bleach Green Junction (4m62) - Jordanstown - Greenisland (6m55) (reverse) - Jordanstown - Bleach Green Junction (7m20) (reverse) - onwards to Antrim and Derry?

Between Great Victoria Street (Platform 4) and City Hospital, I assume the mileage is worked out by the distance to Westlink Junction (27 chains), added to the length of Blythefield Curve (17 chains), and the distance between City Junction and City Hospital (12 chains), giving 56 chains in total. Is this correct?

Cheers.

Yorkgate to Londonderry/Derry platform 1 is 92.99 (decimal) miles

The reason for ""Mileage from Belfast (York Road) via Greenisland (reverse)"?
is that the direct line from Bleach Green Junction northwards only opened in 1934 and prior to that Londonderry trains ran to Greenisland and reveresed. (In fact the original line remained as the third side of a triangle until 1963 and was periodically used by a Londonderry-Larne boat train.) The line from Greenisland joined the present line at Monkstown just after the point where the double track becomes single There is only one reversal in that mileage calculation

GVS4 to City Hospital is calculated as you say but it is 22 chains to Westlink Junction from 4 so 5 chains less than you list

NIR have for years been very sloppy about distances and this is reflected in publications such as IRISH RAILWAYS TRACTION AND TRAVEL They only record something to the nearest quarter mile

Michael Oakley did a lot of research on both Irish systems a few years back and compiled much more accurate information. I have personally verified much of this using GPS and/or Google Maps measuring

Central to Botanic is 0.78 decimal miles or 62 chains. (rechecked with google for this post; and is platform midpoint to platform midpoint.) 72 chains is the distance from the station entrance at Botanic which is at the southern end of the platforms to the station entrance at Central which is the northern end of the platforms
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So let me get this straight, City Hospital (112m27) to Central (113m35) is therefore not 1 mile 8 chains, but exactly 1 mile?

City Hospital to Central is 1.12 miles or 1m10ch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.