• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NI Thumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Anyone got the latest info on the Thumpers (both the Mk2-based 80 Class and the 450 class, that are basically like a Class 150 but with a Thumper engine)?

What services are operated by the 80 Class and will any of these services remain in the Summer?

If we do a trip in August, are we likely to see a reduction in the number of Thumper workings than there are today? (I am aware some boring new units are arriving soon)

Thanks in advance :)

(If anyone is wondering what the fuss is about, listen to this or this with some good speakers in HD mode)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Anyone got the latest info on the Thumpers (both the Mk2-based 80 Class and the 450 class, that are basically like a Class 150 but with a Thumper engine)?

What services are operated by the 80 Class and will any of these services remain in the Summer?

If we do a trip in August, are we likely to see a reduction in the number of Thumper workings than there are today? (I am aware some boring new units are arriving soon)

Thanks in advance :)

I would be interested in that, me and the Wife are wanting to go to Belfast and I would like to sample the NIR Thumpers!

Ivo

Established Member
Although he will be able to confirm this, I seem to recall 4SRKT (our resident NI Thumper ned) telling me that June may well be the last chance you'll get. During the summer, they don't lengthen peak trains, so there will be spare C3K and C4K units which can then take over, and by the time the peak trains are lengthened again, there will be enough around for the 80s to be retired...

Something like that. I plan to go next month.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This might help:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=632309#post632309

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
June 24th now being peddled as withdrawal date for the 80 class. The first C4K CAF set is due to enter traffic in July, but NIR don't run 6-car C3K sets on the Bangor > Portadown line during the summer holidays. This frees up 2 C3K sets from the last week in June, and the 80 class will go.

The only likely reason this wouldn't happen is the complete failure and withdrawal of a 450 class before this date. It would only delay it by a matter of weeks because the 80 would then go when the first C4K came onstream.

By September when the 6-car diagrams come back on, there will be sufficient C4K sets in service not to bring the 80 class back, and indeed 450 class withdrawal on a one-for-one basis will have commenced.

If I were able, which I'm not, then I would go to Northern Ireland on Saturday 9th June, do the Portrush Flyer on 10th June (£20, with NCC monster no 4), then spend Monday on the Larne line.

If anyone is in doubt about the sheer quality of the day out you can expect, read this and doubt no longer:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40484&page=3

I picked up a pile of NIR timetables when in Belfast on Tuesday. If anyone wants a set, PM me with your address and I'll post one to you, together with a guide to DEMU operations.

4SRKT

Established Member
There are people (including more than half of those living in Northern Ireland) who may be somewhat surprised to find this thread in the 'International Transport' folder.........

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are people (including more than half of those living in Northern Ireland) who may be somewhat surprised to find this thread in the 'International Transport' folder.........
I did ask where was the best place...
It doesn't come under "National Rail Forums" as it's not National Rail.

Perhaps the names should be changed (e.g. Overseas instead of International), as NIR is so different to NR it doesn't really fit under NR in my opinion.

4SRKT

Established Member
You are quite right of course. I was being a bit facetious.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does the 80 class have a set diagram (or likely diagram) in the peaks? I am struggling to be there for very long and the ferries I am looking at will get me to Belfast at something like 5pm which I am concerned may be too late to get on the 80 class and then heading back at 7pm the next day, again that may be too early? I am also assuming it's weekdays only? Any info about timings etc would be most helpful!

4SRKT

Established Member
Does the 80 class have a set diagram (or likely diagram) in the peaks? I am struggling to be there for very long and the ferries I am looking at will get me to Belfast at something like 5pm which I am concerned may be too late to get on the 80 class and then heading back at 7pm the next day, again that may be too early? I am also assuming it's weekdays only? Any info about timings etc would be most helpful!

80 class normally works:

06:25 Belfast Central > Whitehead
07:30 Whitehead > Central
08:20 Central > Whitehead
09:00 Whitehead > Central
09:42 Central > Larne Harbour
10:57 Harbour > Central
12:12 Central > Carrickfergus
13:00 Carrickfergus > Central
13:42 Central > Harbour
14:57 Harbour > Central
16:12 Central > Larne Town
17:15 Town > Central

Failing this the other possible diagram is:

06:57 Great Victoria Street > Whitehead
07:56 Whitehead > Central
08:42 Central > Harbour
09:57 Harbour > Central
15:30 York Road > Carrickfergus ECS
16:00 Carrickfergus > Central
16:42 Central > Town
17:43 Town > Central
18:50 Central > Town
19:50 Town > Central.

Both of these are M-F only, and the first one is much more likely and has been the regular turn since last Autumn. Prior to that it worked the peak time only one regularly. It never works diagrams that either start or finish at Larne.

If your boat gets in at 17:00, your only hope for an 80 class that day is to take the 17:47 450 class north from Yorkgate (much nearer docks than Central) to Greenisland for a plus two into the 17:15 Larne Town > Central.

On the second day you should be cool for almost the whole diagram. I wouldn't risk an arrival back at Yorkgate at 18:18 on the 17:15 ex-Larne for a 19:00 boat, but you can bail from the 16:12 at either Carrickfergus or Downshire for a move back to Yorkgate. Leaping at Whitehead (passing place on single line) is a move to oblivion so do not risk it. It looks good in the book, but doesn't work for Belfast > Whitehead > Belfast moves. The train from Larne is let in first, and departs as soon as the train from Belfast arrives.

If you want the timetables and more detail on NIR DEMU ops PM me and I'll post them to you.

Last edited:

Chester025

Whilst on the subject of Northern Ireland, is the RPSI place at Whitehead worth looking around? Also is it open outside of event days for a look around? (no gen on website)

4SRKT

Established Member
Whilst on the subject of Northern Ireland, is the RPSI place at Whitehead worth looking around? Also is it open outside of event days for a look around? (no gen on website)

It's not generally open to the public, but if you ring up expressing an interest and there happens to be someone there when you are planning to go (usually stuff going on on restorations etc), they are decent people and may well show you round. The worst they can do is say no. Not much is visible from the platform or roadway, as it's much more a working shed than a museum. The place is, frankly, a bit of a mess by the standards of UK preservation, displaying its very unpretentious attitude to the serious business of keeping steam alive on the main line in Ireland (an uphill task given the almost complete absence of an enthusiast scene over there). From the Larne line you can't see much either, although the other week I did notice that NIR EE/Hunslet loco no 102 isn't there any more. I wonder where that's gone?

If you are there on an operational day you'll see more, but it's just a trundle up and down the platform behind an industrial saddle tank.

GM078

102 is still there, but as reported in the latest Five Foot Three (RPSI magazine), 102 is eventually due to move to the UFTM at Cultra for static display. There is an open day (with train rides) on Easter Tuesday (26th April). There are plans in place for Whitehead to develop proper visitor facilites, together with an expansion (including turntable) of the site in the coming years.

4SRKT

Established Member
Simply by charging sensible prices for their tours, the RPSI could raise loads more money for inprovements at Whitehead etc.. £25 for Whitehead > Dublin > Whitehead is waaaay too cheap, and since they can fill trains at this price I doubt anyone would baulk at paying £30, which would still be outstanding value.

GM078

Where abouts would I find the mileage for the Larne & Derry lines?

I'm not sure if they're anywhere on the web but if you can get yourself a copy of Irish Railways, Traction & Travel you will find tables for all IÉ, NIR and Luas lines up until the time of publication (last edition was 2004). It's out of print a while but you can usually find copies on Amazon easily enough.

Chester025

Which do you want, specifically? Also, are you a miles and chains or 'nearest quarter' man?

Miles & Chains, all I really need is Belfast Central - Whiteabbey ie the new bit accross the river Victoria, the rest I've got in an old 1987 copy of Irish Traction & Travel.

K9-70

Miles & Chains, all I really need is Belfast Central - Whiteabbey ie the new bit accross the river Victoria, the rest I've got in an old 1987 copy of Irish Traction & Travel.

Belfast Central to Whiteabbey

Belfast Central 113.50
Lagan Jct 113.75
Donegal Quay 114.25
Yorkgate 114.75
York Rd Depot 115.00/0.00 Mileage change to old LMS/NCC mileage system
York Rd North Jct 0.75
Fortwilliam?
Whiteabbey 4.25

K9-70

4SRKT

Established Member
It's 1 mile and 45 chains from Belfast Central to the point opposite where the buffers were at Belfast York Road (where all NCC mileposts are measured from).

4SRKT

Established Member
Should be a good chance. It's been out pretty much all the time recently.

Chester025

Should be a good chance. It's been out pretty much all the time recently.

Famous last words!

Anyway not wanting to be a hassle, Irish Traction & Travel only shows mileage via the Tunnel at Whitehead, is it any different via the coastal route?

4SRKT

Established Member
Quail says not, but it must be a chain or two longer IRL.

K9-70

8094/8090 about to pass under the Milewater Rd footbridge, while working the 13:00pm Carrickfergus to Belfast Central local.

K9-70

Attachments

• 8094 Milewater Rd 22-04-2011.jpg
    8094 Milewater Rd 22-04-2011.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 8090 & 3018 York Rd 22-04-2011.jpg
    8090 & 3018 York Rd 22-04-2011.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 21

Anon Mouse

Established Member
8094/8090 about to pass under the Milewater Rd footbridge, while working the 13:00pm Carrickfergus to Belfast Central local.

K9-70

Couple of lovely photo's there. Hopefully we can have a trip to Belfast this year but we will probably miss the class 80's

jamesontheroad

Established Member
You've got just a matter of hours left if you want to make a whip round :D

Title:Rail Vehicles for Disposal

Published:06/04/2011
Closing Date:28/04/2011
OJEU Ref:N/A
Tender Description
N I Railways invites applications from interested parties for the disposal of the following vehicles. N I Railways will consider applications from all parties for their approach to the disposal of same.

Class 80 up to 13 vehicles

Class 450 up to 9 x 3 car sets

Full Technical Details are included in the attached Procurement Portfoloio.

The vehicles are currently in service and are anticipated to be withdrawn as part of the introduction of new Class 4000 rolling stock during 2011 - 2012. Vehicles will be released as dictated by the introduction of the Class 4000 rolling stock, although it is expected that the first vehicles may be available for disposal during the 3rd Qtr 2011.

Some spares may be available for purchase separately.

In the first instance you are invited to register your interest no later than 15.00 on April 28, 2011 by email to [email protected] clearly stating how you propose to dispose of the trains.

If you require any further information please contact Richard Noble re technical or engineering information on the trains or William Moore concerning the commercial aspects of the disposal.

Richard Noble [email protected] 02890 354411

William Moore [email protected] 02890 354026

Anyone registering should be aware that the trains will be disposed of as seen and no warranties are given or implied, nor are any guarantees given as to their fitness for any purpose.

Regardless of the intended use by the purchaser it will be the purchaser's responsibility to arrange, execute and pay for the removal of the trains from NI Railways property.

Full details are on a pdf file at http://www.translink.co.uk/Corporate/Tenders/Rail-Vehicles-for-Disposal

http://www.translink.co.uk/Documents/Class 450-80 Procurement Portfolio.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.